CAT c-11 motor reliablity

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
More info would be helpfull such as the truck and engine year, milage,maintenance history, overall condition of the truck, and what type of service it was used for.

Bob Wolf

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't tell you about the c-11 specifically but be very leery of Cat the company. They will renege on their extended warranty and screw you over any time they get the chance.

Deville

Not a Member
If I'm not mistaken, the C-11 can be expected to do about 650,000 before really showing its age.

I think you may be right. All the Expedite trucks that I have looked at with that engine have between 600,000 to 915,000 on them all range in the 06' and 07' range.

I thought all class 8 motors with proper maintence were good for one million miles.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I think you may be right. All the Expedite trucks that I have looked at with that engine have between 600,000 to 915,000 on them all range in the 06' and 07' range.

I thought all class 8 motors with proper maintence were good for one million miles.

Engines with around 13 liters displacement arguably have an easier life, and more frequently eclipse 1M miles between rebuilds.

Deville

Not a Member
Engines with around 13 liters displacement arguably have an easier life, and more frequently eclipse 1M miles between rebuilds.

Is that with the C11 is? I have no knowledge of CAT motors past the 3125 or C7.
I do know that this trucks i'm looking at that have C11's are ACERT motors, but are 2006 engines and don't think have the DEF.

This is the truck I like the most. No lift gate but I can add that later.
2007 Kenworth T600B For Sale at Ellenbaum Truck Sales -- trucksforsale.com

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Is that with the C11 is? I have no knowledge of CAT motors past the 3125 or C7.
I do know that this trucks i'm looking at that have C11's are ACERT motors, but are 2006 engines and don't think have the DEF.

This is the truck I like the most. No lift gate but I can add that later.
2007 Kenworth T600B For Sale at Ellenbaum Truck Sales -- trucksforsale.com

They are 11.1 liters. The C12's are 12 liter, C13 is 13 liter, etc. You're correct, they don't have a dpf or scr, and they don't use DEF. They are supposed to have a DOC, I believe. That's not a problem though.

That's a pretty sweet truck. A couple of forum members are rebuilding engines in their backyards. Something to consider.

Deville

Not a Member
They are 11.1 liters. The C12's are 12 liter, C13 is 13 liter, etc. You're correct, they don't have a dpf or scr, and they don't use DEF. They are supposed to have a DOC, I believe. That's not a problem though.

That's a pretty sweet truck. A couple of forum members are rebuilding engines in their backyards. Something to consider.
They had a really nice Columbia on there that they just sold that was right up my alley. That's what I really want, it had the same motor.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
My '06 C9 has 1.1 mil. Ran into a guy that had 1.3 mil on his. Neither have had the head or pan off for major repair. Main problem seems to be the HEUI pump, I'm on number 3, the 1.3 mil guy was on number 8 if I remember right. They like clean oil so I run an OPS brand oil bypass and run extended oil drains.

LDB is correct, don't bother with their extended warranty. They did pay for one of my pumps, but injectors have to completely fail to be covered. I've discovered a slight chug in the motor is cleared up by pulling mine and cleaning the tips from time to time, oil deposits clog the pintels over time. Also learned to use the cruise and mode dash switch to pull codes to find faulty sensors, and even found which injector to replace when one failed. I have a friend with the CAT ET to reset the codes after repair.

I like the fact of no EGR.

Deville

Not a Member
My '06 C9 has 1.1 mil. Ran into a guy that had 1.3 mil on his. Neither have had the head or pan off for major repair. Main problem seems to be the HEUI pump, I'm on number 3, the 1.3 mil guy was on number 8 if I remember right. They like clean oil so I run an OPS brand oil bypass and run extended oil drains.

LDB is correct, don't bother with their extended warranty. They did pay for one of my pumps, but injectors have to completely fail to be covered. I've discovered a slight chug in the motor is cleared up by pulling mine and cleaning the tips from time to time, oil deposits clog the pintels over time. Also learned to use the cruise and mode dash switch to pull codes to find faulty sensors, and even found which injector to replace when one failed. I have a friend with the CAT ET to reset the codes after repair.

I like the fact of no EGR.

That's good to know. Thanks!