Cat 3126

GaTrucker05

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
Should ya be able to turn the fan on engine by hand when truck is cold? It won't turn freely & it runs all the time & makes lots of noise.

jcross

Seasoned Expediter
My fan is air activated and I have a switch on the dash that I can turn it on and off with (previous owner installed that). When the engine is off I can turn the fan by hand freely with no play as long as there is no air to it.

Deville

Not a Member
My fan is air activated and I have a switch on the dash that I can turn it on and off with (previous owner installed that). When the engine is off I can turn the fan by hand freely with no play as long as there is no air to it.

Do you like that setup? Does it turn on by it self at all?

jcross

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, the engine fan comes on with the ecm when the temp runs up.....runs about 10-15 seconds then turns off. The fan switch on the dash has been very useful.....I like to turn it on manually when in traffic or when I'm idling....it makes may AC blow colder.

Deville

Not a Member
I have a 98 3126 and its been ok. To me it runs way too hotfor my liking.....I'm thinking about putting a 4 row radiator in it to see if that helps. Other than that....with decent maintenance its never really given me too many issues. Mine has around 350,000 miles (reman).

I do think its better at lower speeds seems to me to fall a little flat at highway speeds. I run right around 70mph with 3.73 rears and a 10 speed direct.

Normal temp on the 3126 is 190. Mine runs between 188* & 192*. It can run up too 205* on a hot day before the fan turns on. My fan turns on at 204*

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
If the fan clutch is bad and the fan runs a lot - would that be a big drain on the engine ? I guess what I am really asking is would you notice a loss of power from the engine ?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If the fan clutch is bad and the fan runs a lot - would that be a big drain on the engine ? I guess what I am really asking is would you notice a loss of power from the engine ?

Not a huge loss of power but it will take your fuel economy down.