Carriers Liability for Over Loads and Reasonalble shipping Rates My Thoughts ONLY.

gwconover

Active Expediter
Hello All:

My name is Garrett Conover and I am an O/O, retired, with 1.5 years + in the Expediting Industry. I run 48 States and have had the honor of meeting many of your drivers. As prior LE, I am really shock that many of you seem to be under the impression that your company will not be held liable for an incident involving a vehicle you have either contracted to perform your services and/or one of your contractors that is involved in in a MVA when they are overloaded. All Vehicles have a manufactures GVW. Even in the absence of a drivers personal property, IE: generators, Straps, e-tracks. I have been shocked to see first hand the weight some of you are allowing to be shipped under your names. Even when you have a actual MT weight CAT form. When it happens on a CNN news worthy incident, you can rest assured that your entire companies history, BOL's will be opened for inspection. And all the profits made will be gone. AS well as the anything the drivers may have. New rules can be anticipated, from the GOV. In todays business world this is just fact. My particular vehicle is a bare bones Sprinter 2500. Cloths, cot, personal items. Cat Scale shows I can legally haul up to 2,180 LBS. GVW is GVW all the time.

Second issue I would like to address is the present rate per mile drivers get when they contract to one of your companies. The old adage of you get what you pay for has already been felt by some of us. You can continue to pay "cheap" rates and there nothing "Good Honest on time" contractors can do except go out of Business. The industry as we know it will fold.

Let me offer an alternative. Honest Brokers. Now there is a concept. It is my firm belief that any brokers/companies that pay an honest rate per-mile, Show the contractors that actual pay sheet from the shipper, payed as agreed to will take over the majority of the industry. It is laughable at some of the vehicles and driver presentation (EI: non-professional looking, dirty unkempt) that I see show up at the same places I load at. Shippers have a laugh. Again you get what you pay for. Learn who are the contractors that are the true professionals to represent your company.

In ending, rumor and I stress rumor, is the GOV is looking into the Fuel Surcharge and how it is being used as actual payment for loads hauled. Not as it was intended, EI: offset fuel cost for the Owner of the vehicle.

Wishing all the best:

Garrett W. Conover

Conover Family Carries; LLC
Erin, New York 14836
607-857-2232
[email protected]

www.conoverfc.com

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Re: Carriers Liability for Over Loads and Reasonalble shipping Rates My Thoughts ONLY

Who is under that impression? Over weight is a csa violation and csa violations impact driver and carrier scores. That is why many times we aren't offered loads that are too heavy for our trucks. If the shipper stretches the weight too much and it is higher than what the carriers says then it should be up to you to say "No, I can't haul this." Many times carriers say the weight is 10,xxx and my truck can legally do 11,000 and change but when you get there the weight has changed and it is now 13,000. In that case the carrier needs to be notified and depending on the carrier they will not say "It's ok,it's only 2,000 over." Infact, they will tell me either to leave a bigger truck will take it or they are sending another truck to split it (Depending on what the available options are).

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Re: Carriers Liability for Over Loads and Reasonalble shipping Rates My Thoughts ONLY

BTW, Do you have any proof that there has been a reputable company from here overloading their contractors equipment? A smaller company sure but most members here run for the larger, do it right and legal the first time carriers.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

In ending, rumor and I stress rumor, is the GOV is looking into the Fuel Surcharge and how it is being used as actual payment for loads hauled. Not as it was intended, EI: offset fuel cost for the Owner of the vehicle.
That's not really much of a rumor by definition since Congress has held hearings on that very subject at least 4 times over the last few years and have debated several different bills on the subject.

gwconover

Active Expediter

Please how many drivers have been "Starved out" of Business for not doing such. Are you actually on the road? If so you know what I am talking about and you know I only speak the truth. Your quote, "Depending on the Carrier" shows you know of what I talk about. And yes there are excellent carriers out there who do the right thing by its drivers. And big name carriers are guilty of this too. Each time this specific problem has happened to me it was either 1). told me that the Broker knew, 2) The broker says we did not know and 3) I never in y 1.5+ years did I get "part" of the weight. And the Big name broker Hee Hawed about giving me the dry run.

PS I LOVE the Avitar :cool:

Stay Safe where ever ya work ...
Garrett

gwconover

Active Expediter

When I was the response was: you should have let us know. I do now. Thanks for the input.

Stay Safe

Garrett

moose

Veteran Expediter

-1) we have a classified sections for leaving contact info. of industry service providers.
especially 1st time posters.
2) somehow "cheap rates" have been here for a while, and probably will stay here for some time. many of us can & are do very well, others are seasonal Expediters, other will fold. this nitch probably top the scale of trucking's turn over rates. no news here. but i do not see low rates folding an industry (what ever that mean).
3) gov. involvement in FSC is bad news for O/O and drivers alike.
it's really bad for brokers, 3PL's, shippers, and carriers.
but it's a feel good medicine, and allow Gov. over-reach.
won't play into compensations anyway. just more regulatory.

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Please how many drivers have been "Starved out" of Business for not doing such. Are you actually on the road? If so you know what I am talking about and you know I only speak the truth. Your quote, "Depending on the Carrier" shows you know of what I talk about. And yes there are excellent carriers out there who do the right thing by its drivers. And big name carriers are guilty of this too. Each time this specific problem has happened to me it was either 1). told me that the Broker knew, 2) The broker says we did not know and 3) I never in y 1.5+ years did I get "part" of the weight. And the Big name broker Hee Hawed about giving me the dry run.

PS I LOVE the Avitar :cool:

Stay Safe where ever ya work ...
Garrett

I am on the road and I do quite well out here, even losing loads that are too heavy when I get to the shipper. I do know there are carriers out there overloading trucks but with the csa program it isn't a major problem with the big carriers, atleast never was with the 2 i've been with. I have had cases at panther and fedex alike where we have lost loads when we found out it was too heavy some in route and some when we got there and saw the freight.

I can't speak for everyone but i'll say I doubt Load 1,PTL or Express 1 have ever forced anyone to run over weight. As I said some of the multi carrier drivers have probably done it but have a hard time believing any of the carriers that have been around a while will chance their future on it.

moose

Veteran Expediter

I run over weight all the time

Am over weight when i go to bed, unfortunately when i wake up i'm still over weight...
(o.k i don't really run no more)

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

With five and a half years in this business Im sure the Veterans will agree..

When you get asked to take an over weight, and if no is too hard to say, tell them no you can take an overweight load for an additional $1,000,000.00 per lb. I gurantee they wont push the issue.
Ive turned down a few loads that were too heavy and WE PROFESSIONALS take it as an insult when we are preassured to load or offered an extra hundred bucks to dodge scales.
Its simple, know your vehicle and how it should feel. If it dosent feel right as you pull off the dock get a truck weight. Yep, this works for any type of vehicle. If your overweight because the shipper lied abbout the weight, drop it on the dock and charge for your time and labor.
As for drivers showing up unkempt, trucks needing a wash, etc., other than insecure nit picking Im failing to see your point. Most important rule in any business dont bad mouth your compentition its bad carma and it will come back to you, it shows your insecurity, lack of qualifications, and is totaly un professional. If shippers are being douches and commenting on drivers or anyone else, dont in join on the B.S.
Last, there are parasites in any business I tell the low baller to hire the other guy lets see how moch you spend when a load gets wrecked and he/she is uninsured,
Bottom line is you cant legislate honesty and integrity, or professionalisim.
Be a professional.

Bob Wolf.

gwconover

Active Expediter

Bob Says:" Most important rule in any business dont bad mouth your compentition its bad carma and it will come back to you, it shows your insecurity, lack of qualifications, and is totaly un professional."

Garrett Says: Hmmm I am at a loss. Is it your opinion that when a company steals money from you and your family, a driver O/O should just take the loss?? Because he "may offend" and lose a Load, either for him or his broker?? Hmm I guess then in demanding honesty and what is just plain right, total professional on time O/O Drivers WITH a lot of experience) is a one way requirement? Due only to the "Compensator?" Because Why?

Here is one for all to have any input you wish to give. Many O/O reline this industry is gotten tough. Big trucks and Small included. What would you do under the following circumstance.

1). You receive an email stating you are awarded contract for the run.

2). You leave and heads towards your pick up.

3) 60 % towards pick up and get the "Load Cancelled Call"

4) While on the headset talking you see a company truck you got the email from heading passed you.

5) You follow it and low and behold he goes and get "a" load going to the same town and State.

Now here is where the answers get tricky. Remember my first post about honesty? Remember that facts do not lie. The cancelled load was not cancelled but put on the companies truck. The contract O/O spent his $ to get 50% there.

What should he do or not do??

Wish I had more time
Bless All

And looking for as many responses.

PS oh and you have pictures time stamped :)

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Bob Says:" Most important rule in any business dont bad mouth your compentition its bad carma and it will come back to you, it shows your insecurity, lack of qualifications, and is totaly un professional."

Garrett Says: Hmmm I am at a loss. Is it your opinion that when a company steals money from you and your family, a driver O/O should just take the loss?? Because he "may offend" and lose a Load, either for him or his broker?? Hmm I guess then in demanding honesty and what is just plain right, total professional on time O/O Drivers WITH a lot of experience) is a one way requirement? Due only to the "Compensator?" Because Why?

Here is one for all to have any input you wish to give. Many O/O reline this industry is gotten tough. Big trucks and Small included. What would you do under the following circumstance.

1). You receive an email stating you are awarded contract for the run.

2). You leave and heads towards your pick up.

3) 60 % towards pick up and get the "Load Cancelled Call"

4) While on the headset talking you see a company truck you got the email from heading passed you.

5) You follow it and low and behold he goes and get "a" load going to the same town and State.

Now here is where the answers get tricky. Remember my first post about honesty? Remember that facts do not lie. The cancelled load was not cancelled but put on the companies truck. The contract O/O spent his $ to get 50% there.

What should he do or not do??

Wish I had more time
Bless All

And looking for as many responses.

PS oh and you have pictures time stamped :)

My opinion is if you deadhead 60% of the way and it cancels yet you follow said truck your an idiot for wasting the fuel.

Your post comes off as "I'm better than everyone else". You basically are advertising here which I'm sure is a COC violation. Your attacking larger carriers who are guilty of nothing. Pay eo to advertise and leave the name calling he said/she said bs out.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Another thing is when a load cancels, just because it cancels for you doesn't mean it became nonexistent. It could be many things including driver qualifications,truck specs or added weight. I have been sent to get a gm load because it was dispatched to a 99 model truck which was accidentally overlooked when dispatched. I've had loads cancel when the shipper later requested a truck with a lift gate. I see you are in a sprinter, I've been sent to recover loads, even though they fit and the weight was good, the shipper requested dock high straight after sprinter was dispatched. I don't think these carriers deliberately cancel your load.

gwconover

Active Expediter

Knowing which carriers to stay away from and avoid, are liers, cheapo's etc, is nessassary in this industry. LOL better then most I am not. Just a hard working ontime who stands up for other in this industry. Bad me LOL

PS Lke the:

FedEx
Custom Critical

gwconover

Active Expediter

All that is true. But in this case this issue was to avoid giving the driver a little for his expences expences.