Carpet My FL70

klippencott

Expert Expediter
My FL70 has rubber floor mats (standard equipment). My feet get really cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The cab is so loud with standard road noise that I can't hear my cell phone when it rings. I would like to insulate and carpet the floor. I remember seeing a thread on the subject a couple of months back but as I recall that person put the carpet down over the rubber mat.

What I'm thinking of doing is pulling the seats out, lifting the old rubber floor out to use as a pattern to cut my carpet. What can I use to insulate before I put the carpet down. I was thinking of standard carpet pad but will the heat in the summer cause problems with it? Could I put some of that foil covered plastic bubble wrap down first and put carpet pad over that? Is there some other material that is better than what I'm thinking of?

Help please!

Thanks

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i put carpet in my 70. did the same thing, use mat as pattern. make sure that the carpet is not thick. less pile more backing is best. stay with a jute or the new felt type [has a tan colored marerial on the back ]. stay away from rubber backing. as for the mat i would put it back in and carpet over. once you have it out you can clean real good and put it back , put padding over rubber mat. remember not to put the pad all the way out to the edge. stop the pad short of going under any mouldings as this will make it hard to get them back on. the lines from the mouldings is a good reference where to stop. another use for that old rubber mat. keep it its usefull and no better place to store it. finally some may take a little longer screw. good luck, let us know how it goes. hope this is useful.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
either will work just dont get to thick. something like a berber . the only thing with home carpet is you get a much larger choice of colors. good luck. ps., buy enough for two and do another while you are at it. makes the next chang easier. you will want to change it out next spring or when its dirty. cheap fix and makes the truck cab look so much nicer.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey There is a company that has carpet sets for FL70s and most trucks, I can't find the link I saved, but I know they are complete sets and will save you a lot of time. Now if you want Shag, I don't think they will have it.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hello All,
Been searching the net for carpeting. Have not found anything for Freightliner. If anyone comes across carpet information let us know.
Thanks,
Laura

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Greg,
I have searched the web and came up with nothing on the ready-made carpet sets. If you find that link please post it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Kathy

I can't for the class 7 truck site but here is a site for class 8 trucks, call them and ask if they know of the site. I will keep looking and back tracking through the hundreds of links i have.

http://www.classeight.com/

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I saw carpet kits for your freightliner at the Iowa 80 Truckomat/Chrome Shop. I was looking for a kit for my KW. Not sure how much they were. Im sure if you do it yourself with automotive carpet you can save alot of money.
But there is the time limit it will take to take seats out and cut pattern. Weigh the differance and go for it...Good Luck..Butch.:D :D :D