Cargomax

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If anyone is interested, I will likely be posting my Cargomax for sale within the next couple of weeks. I'll post it here in the EO classifieds. I am in the process of getting hired to haul crude oil in TX. Once housing has been arranged, I won't have any need for the van. Until then, it's gonna be an rv :thumbup:

Here is an old picture. Decals have been removed.

rera2uvu.jpg

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I may be...and have appreciated the pics you've posted of the interior before.

If you don't want to post all the details here, send them to me via pm, if you would. Year, engine, capacity, dims, etc.

Thanks!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I may be...and have appreciated the pics you've posted of the interior before.

If you don't want to post all the details here, send them to me via pm, if you would. Year, engine, capacity, dims, etc.

Thanks!
Will do! I'm a little busy today, but I should be able to get everything posted tonight.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Year:2009

Engine:6.0

Transmission: 4 sp auto.

Rear ratio: 4.11

Miles: 92,624 (currently, will be more. Likely less than 95,000).

Empty weight as it sits is in the 7,750 range. (It was under 7500 before I finished the interior out and added the generator and rooftop).

Cargo capacity with the bed folded up behind the seats is 159" length x 49-1/2" wide x 68" tall. I have loaded the double stacked 35" tall auto bins several times, so it is capable. (The trick is that once they stack them, the feet of the top bin drop into the lid of the bottom bin, giving just enough room to slide 'em in. A little grease helps :) )

I has the weight capacity listed as 3,000 lbs. I have hauled 3200 a couple times and 3500 a couple times. That's about it. It handles the weight well (you know it's there), but I just didn't want to abuse the chasis. The rear tires are rated at 7,500 # and sitting empty, there is about 4,000 # on the rear axle. That's the main reason I stopped at 3500 on the weight.

I need to look at the window sticker to see what the trim code was, but I can tell you it has power windows/locks, tilt and cruise (I swapped the steering column out to get cruise on it. It is identical to factory cruise now. Buttons on the wheel, light on the dash, it has work flawlessly since install). It has the chrome front bumper and quad headlights also (in the picture obviously).

I also swapped the driver's seat out for an rv seat, cloth with an armrest. I purchased a pair, so I have the passenger seat in the garage. You will end up with 4 seats, 2 cheap vinyl, 2 nice cloth.

All cargo related accessories will be left with the van. 4 ratchets and straps, a tow chain w/hooks and a tow strap (chain and strap for pulling pallets). Anything I have for cargo will go with it.

My problem is pricing it. I know about what I've spent (close to 40 grand), but I don't know what it's worth now. Anything above 35k, I'm sure I would take! :D

Seriously though, once it's for sale it will be FOR sale...lol.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Good info, thanks...going to be out of my price range, though. I'll spread the word for you.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Good info, thanks...going to be out of my price range, though. I'll spread the word for you.
I'll probably list it here, then put it on ebay. If all goes well with the new job, the van will just be a yard ornament until I sell it.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll probably list it here, then put it on ebay. If all goes well with the new job, the van will just be a yard ornament until I sell it.

Good luck with new gig. ..Rocket

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If anyone is interested, I will likely be posting my Cargomax for sale within the next couple of weeks. I'll post it here in the EO classifieds. I am in the process of getting hired to haul crude oil in TX. Once housing has been arranged, I won't have any need for the van. Until then, it's gonna be an rv :thumbup:

I was just up in ND and after seeing all the money I am thinking about doing the same.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Nice rig. I drive the Ford version of this, and would not go back to a Sprinter, unless situation dictated. Not to help with your selling....but these are awesome to drive and haul freight.

Body done in Indiana?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was just up in ND and after seeing all the money I am thinking about doing the same.

If you are young enough still...I'd go for it..apparently TX or ND..pretty much same money

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If you are young enough still...I'd go for it..apparently TX or ND..pretty much same money

I'm in my early 30's and I think the oil money will out last my working years. I like ND because it is cooler and all the snow blows into SD so the winters aren't to bad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in my early 30's and I think the oil money will out last my working years. I like ND because it is cooler and all the snow blows into SD so the winters aren't to bad.

correction.....all the snow blows into Eastern SD and ND....unbelievably we don't get alot of snow...BUT cold!!!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Nice rig. I drive the Ford version of this, and would not go back to a Sprinter, unless situation dictated. Not to help with your selling....but these are awesome to drive and haul freight.

Body done in Indiana?
The CargoMax is actually built in Canada by a different company. You are driving a TerraMax. The GM version of yours (built by the same company in IN) is called Ultramax. Kind of confusing but that's how they are named. They are all very, very similar though and yes I have enjoyed owning and driving mine. It is a nice setup. Thank you!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter

There is good money in it if you can handle it. I was originally looking at ND. I was not interested in being there during the winter though. Then I read about how they have chain up in the summer time even to get up some of those hills after a rain. Then I read about FEMA trailers renting $1200+/mo and all the other things that go along with a boomtown economy. I decided that hated the heat less :D

Texas is definitely booming also, but there are areas that are not quite as bad. The TX boom actually involves more than one area right now. Midland/Odessa is the strongest area and has the most "boomtown" economy currently. South of San Antonio is getting there. Amarillo over to OKC is starting boom also. Basicly, from Laredo to Brownsville then northwest all the way up to Amarillo/OKC. It's huge really. I have see projections that dwarf the projected reserves in ND...by a LOT.

You have to remember that for every boom, there is a bust. I told a friend earlier today that I see 3 likely cases that could slow or stop it. 1. Once all this new oil starts hitting the markets, if the prices drop, the drilling will slow..or stop. 2. I have heard rumors that a lot of people in ND are coming to TX...could saturate the market in TX...might good for the ND workers though. 3. The feds can kill anything!

I do believe wages in ND are better than TX. It's likely to come down to personal preference. If you have 2 yrs recent otr t/t (I think you do), I can give you a couple of tips on some great paying jobs that I didn't qualify for.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was leaning more towards ND because there are other good paying jobs that my wife could get so we could rake it in while we can. I would be interested in those tips.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
That CargoMax should sell fast, always another person in here that rich and famous in expediting.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
That's a nice looking rig and sorry to see you go. I have a couple of friends doing the oil hauling up in the Dakota's. They are both doing over 100k a year but it rough work and not for the lame at heart. In another year things will be different pay wise with Schneider and Pilot getting into it. Everybody wants a piece of the pie and naturally the drivers pay is first to take a hit. Of course finding drivers who are qualified is something else.

I like your truck and would consider it but I'm going with a new one. Just something I have to do. I'm not in a hurry right now with the freight climate the way it is. Hopefully it will turn around in the coming year which I think it will, maybe, hopefully, gotta anyway.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure the wages are high, but so is the cost of everything else. I have a friend that is a surveyor. He and his company are based in the Minneapolis area. He spends a few weeks at a time in North Dakota. His company pays for lodging and per diem, plus extra for being away from home. Housing alone is insanely high priced, so is food and fuel.

The ND oil boom is much like the Alaskan oil and pipeline building boom. High wages couple with high living expenses. If one could live like a dog for a year or two and send money home, one could come out ahead. The trick is to live cheap and avoid all the vices that are common to boom economies.

I like ND because it is cooler and all the snow blows into SD so the winters aren't to bad.
As OVM mentioned the snow and dirt (snirt) blows to the eastern Dakotas and western Minnesota.

Here's a shot I took along U.S. 83 somewhere south of Minot last Thursday.

Attachments

• ND 2.jpg
    ND 2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 127

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When it isn't snowing, blowing and drifting in North Dakota it is raining and flooding.

Attachments

• ND High Water 014.jpg
    ND High Water 014.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 109
  • ND High Water 015.jpg
    ND High Water 015.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 108

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It's the I29 swimming pool open to truckers and trucks, although I heard this is the last year they will allow truckers because the truckers were getting the trucks greasy.