Cargo Vans.

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
Without starting a manufacturer war, I would like a general idea, of what might be a good "cargo van". I have the following vehicles at hand, to buy from. Tell me what you would think would be a good choice. Not that is will change my mind, but gives me something to shoot at, or know something about the models, that someone else might like, or dislike.

1. Ford E350 7.3 diesel.
2. Ford E350 5.4 gas
3. Chevrolet Express 6.0 gas
4. GMC Savanna 6.0 gas
5. Freightliner Sprinter 2.7 diesel.

I have read all the information from the manufacturers, and we all know they use the selling points. Is there anything wrong, or better than what they tell me? Thanks.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
>1. Ford E350 7.3 diesel.

>2. Ford E350 5.4 gas.- I had one of these units in '94. The fit & finish was superior to Chevy/GMC. It was a well built unit and we got over 500,000 miles on this unit.

>3. Chevrolet Express 6.0 gas -The only difference between this and the GMC model is the grill

>4. GMC Savanna 6.0 gas - We had one of these units in 98 - while the fit & finish was not as nice as the Ford - it was more roomier and enjoyed the rear-axel being closer to the end.

>5. Freightliner Sprinter 2.7 diesel.- The only comment I have on this unit is that it seems that it was built for expediting. Real nice. On the pricey side.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Lawrence,

You mentioned the GMC/Chevy being roomier... is that just in general, or specific areas, such as width?

I've always driven Ford vans, personal and business, but... they're a little bit to narrow for me to comfortably lay down in a crossways bunk configuration. I was thinking on my new one, to build a fold-up bed along the side, ala Bentz van sleeper style.

Do you (Or Teacel, or anyone else who runs GMC) know the measurement crossways behind the drivers seat? I'd rather build that way... just to have a nicer, fixed position bunk.

Thinkin bout havin a Topper added to whichever one I decide to buy.. like they use for nursing home vans, emergency squads, etc... make it standup height, like the Sprinters... trying to find someone in my area who will convert a used van. So far, seems like most wanna deal with dealers only, on new vans.

Thanks,

Dreamer

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
Dreamer, I like your idea of having a topper on a van. I stand 6'5". and would be a great accessory to the van. I tried laying down in the Alum-Bunk in the Ford van, and well, I fit, as long as the passenger seat is pushed forward. Haven't seen a Alum-Bunk in a Chevy/GMC yet, to see if I fit them better. If anyone knows the dimemsions, let me know. Thanks.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
GMC,Savana- 75" from inside WALLS behind seats,not including braces...53" between wheel wells...57" between rear doors...mine has 3/4 plywood walls can lay down comfortably crossways,with head at 45 degree angle,(6ft) ok maybe a 48 degree angle...very good ride,no noticable rocking action while im snoring! possibly may sell soon to upgrade 28000 miles (2001 1ton). Thinking on installing a bed system that will lower from ceiling,probably will go with a fold down(attached to left wall). (now if i can figure out where to put that kitty litter box!)

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
Thats great Whiterabbit. Thanks for the dimensions. I am looking for a cargo van. I have been looking at the Ford van that Alum-Bunk, has, with the sleeper in it. Nice unit, kinda cramped with a fella my size. Looked at a Dodge Maxi 1 ton van today. Nice and long. Don't know much about the dependability of the Dodge engine, transmission, and chassis. It has a 5.9L V8 (360). Not sure how wide they are, but looks really roomy.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
re:Dodge Van

Hey Brewster,

A friend of mine had one of those Dodge vans as his work truck (he was a general contractor).. and while it ran great, and worked fine for him, you will run into problems using one for an Expedite Van... the rear door opening is tight, tight, tight, tight and a little tight! :) :)

I don't believe a regular 48" pallet will even fit between them. I have seen them on with smaller expedite companies, but if you run with one that does heavy palletized freight, you will run into problems.

Dreamer

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
Thanks Dreamer, really appreciate the information. It was sitting at a local Dodge dealer, and didn't have my tape measure with me. The place was closed already, so couldn't ask anyone on the dimemsions. Thanks again.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
At times we all get a little testy, and when things aren’t going our way tend to fly off the handle, or say things we may regret or feel bad about later. I didn’t mean to offend you, or wasn’t attacking you in no way shape or form in the older van thread. You must remember we have well over 1000 active members on this site, and you posted a question about running an older van. I believe it was one of your first posts as a new member, and I had no prier knowledge of what you know about expediting. I was answering your question to the best of my ability.

As for the suggestion to the question in this thread, about the Dodge Van: I don’t think that would be a very good idea. WHY:

1) The Dodge has a short wheelbase and the ride won’t be as smooth.
2) They will not hold up as well as the Chevy or Ford. I don’t know why this is, but I just know. (Gas vans that is)
3) The back opening isn’t as large as the other two, and it is tighter between the wheel wells.
4) You will hate the tight pilot area. (drivers seat)
I had one so I am talking from experience.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
>Thats great Whiterabbit. Thanks for the dimensions. I am
>looking for a cargo van. I have been looking at the Ford van
>that Alum-Bunk, has, with the sleeper in it. Nice unit,
>kinda cramped with a fella my size. Looked at a Dodge Maxi 1
>ton van today. Nice and long. Don't know much about the
>dependability of the Dodge engine, transmission, and
>chassis. It has a 5.9L V8 (360). Not sure how wide they are,
>but looks really roomy.
Your more than welcome Brew...was my pleasure...i to looked at the dodges but then read about the problems with the trannys back in 97... The dimensions,and framework on the GMC seem pretty good allright so went with the GMC,many blessings

E7mack96

Expert Expediter
I am pleased with the sprinter van. It can haul about 4,000 lbs, it will go 88 when you need it, and when at steady state 55 mph, you will get 25-30 mpgs. You can put 3 full size skids in it if you have to.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Tony...yup gotta say that Sprinter is a nice setup should help Chryslers(Daimler,whatever) bottomline out ive seen that U.P.S. and another co,,name fails me tho,are switching to the sprinter. Alumabunk had one and she looked nice altho i thought the wheels looked kinda small for the weight shes supposed to carry . My finances wouldnt allow the purchase at this time. Im thinkin that i just should have done whatever i had to to get a class c or d rig. but i got a plan so im stickin to it!Come what may...The fuel savings are a HUGE selling point! for sure!...but if ya aint got the bux you aint got it....Looks like youve done good for yurself.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Freightliner Sprinter is now the Dodge Sprinter, I have already seen them at several Dodge dealers. It is replacing the aged Dodge Ram cargo vans. Rumor of a Mercedes gas engine version on its way for those who don't want diesel. The dually rear version looks quite heavy duty, but from what I have heard a standard pallet won't fit between the wells on the dually van. Too bad, as that would have made it just about perfect for expediting!
-Weave-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Weave..yup your right on bout that,reminded me i "heard" that Dodgem bought "white",now i dont know if thats just the "white" Arm of frieghtliner or the whole shebang...i remember back in sixties something ,bout the time of the beach boys first album,my pop came home(God rest his soul) madder than a wet hen,started fummin bout them guvment bastages,how they wouldnt let Chrysler buy White out cause it would be against some "antimonoply" law that was on the books,(back then)...so maybe they finally did it ,boy hows that for perseverece! Im still, personally speakin of course, po"ed that Benz (germany) was able to shanghigh the Chrysler shareholders like they did! Arrrrrrgh!...double AARRRRRrrrgh!<<<<,after seein the post about the sprinter problemos theyre haven ,maybe small problems, but neverthless, thosell drive ya nuts and take miles of from ya,especially if they come at 3am "on the long dark road" im feelin better on the ol GMC . Many blessings on ya!>>>.but boy that mileage is something else aint it? a five cylinder no less,hmmmmmmmm

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
I had a fella email me the other day, having a Sprinter for sale. It was a 2002, I believe. He said something about having a Pheonix sleeper in it. Do you know anything about those sleepers? I went to the Alumibunk dealer, in Woodhaven, MI. Checked out their new Ford 1 ton vans, with their bunks installed. Not much room for me. I guess I could get by for awhile if I needed to do that.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Brew...yeah i went thier about a weekago myself,i was kinda impressed with the bulkhead installation seemed fairly sturdy! Which is something ya want if your in (God forbid) a wreck...my worst fear is a loose 55 gal. drum cmin loose headin towards your back still doin 55 mph! While your stopped ...bummer!.:)...im mounting a fold down bunk from 3/4 in plywood attached to the sidewalls i installed,a hint to get the plywood to follow the curve of the sides i ripped four cuts about .5 in deep and ran water down the grooves till it soaked thru.allowing me to bend it, now that its dry its sturdy ( many sheet metal screws later) and secure enough to attach the foldown bunk with hinges an two chains,one front and one rear.(or i still might just go with a Drop down bed thing.,probably wont know which one to do till i just do it,which will be tonight... Now if i get a tall pallet or whatever guess ill be just sprawlng across the front seats,if i go with the fold down. Welp better get to it... the Best to ya!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Nothing was bought out, Freightliner has been a division of Daimler Chrysler for a few years now. The Sprinter was originally a Mercedes-Benz van in Europe, has been there for 6 or 7 years. D/C did not know how to market it here. Obviously didn't want cargo van buyers at Mercedes dealerships, so they started it with the Freightliner division, where it has not been attracting enough general public customers, many of whom are afraid of big truck dealers. So on to Dodge it goes, where it should do better. I have tested the Sprinter and it is a great van, but a little too pricey. For example, a high roof Sprinter 2500 SHC lists for $34,480, and one would have to add all the necessities to make it into an expediter such as e-track and a sleeper if desired. That could add another 1 or 2 grand to the cost. By comparison, the Alumi-Bunk E350 Ford diesel van, all tricked out and ready to expedite, is $31,500, quite a bit cheaper. Maybe by selling more through the Dodge division the price will come down. Sprinters were also scarse the last couple of years due to contracts for FedEx and UPS, but they have been filled now and its easy to find yet a little tough to afford still.
-Weave-

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500. The door opening is 50"w X 48"h. I can get two standard skids on w/o a problem, unless the freight is hanging over by more than an inch or two. The pallets can't be stacked very high either.

The problem I've run into is the freight will fit in the door, but get snagged on the upper or lower door latch. Those latches have been knocked out of alignment several times, making it very hard for the doors to work (usally knocked by careless forklift drivers).

>re:Dodge Van
>
you will run into problems using one for an Expedite Van... the rear door opening is tight, tight, tight, tight and a little tight! :) :)
>
>I don't believe a regular 48" pallet will even fit between
>them. I have seen them on with smaller expedite companies,
>but if you run with one that does heavy palletized freight,
>you will run into problems.
>
>
>Dreamer

Stay safe out there!

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the information on the vans. I noticed in a Detroit, MI paper the other day, a ad for the Dodge Sprinter. They say the base Cargo Sprinter starts out at $28,000, with the passenger one, at $31,000. I believe quite a savings over the Freightliner line. I just recieved a brochure from Dodge today on the new Sprinters. Quite impressive brochure. I am probably going to buy a used Alumibunk Ford E350 Cargo Van, to get my feet wet. Get it paid off, and then maybe go after the Sprinter. Brewster.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also if you join ooida there is a `discount `on the sprinter from
chrysler, that would bring price down abit more,
and business link that would ```give `you faster service
and any` time even `if you `haven't `made` appointment
looked in to sprinter and looks good