Cargo Van Vs. Cube van

aandk

Rookie Expediter
My husband and I are looking to getting into the business. My husband has driven trucks for years and has his class A cdl and I am getting my chauffer's which should be enough to drive either. Our biggest discussion at this point is cargo van vs. a box truck. We have communicated with a couple of recruiters and they both have different opinions on the matter. So I thought I would see what the true experts have to say on the matter. What do you guys think? :confused:
Thank you for your opinion.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are you buying or going to drive for an owner ?
I think most consider a cube a van with a slightly larger body, and a box truck much larger, dock high.
Cube having a floor about knee high.
Box truck/straight truck the floor would be almost shoulder high.
Which are you considering as the option to the van ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I've never been involved in smaller vehicles.
I'm pretty sure the answers will lean heavily towards the van.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some would depend on the company you want to drive for. If they don't pay extra for bigger size loads it might be hard to justify a bigger vehicle. Now to contradict myself with a bigger vehicle you have more load opportunities and maybe even better you have more room for comfort. Being a team I would probably opt for the cube for that if nothing else. Its like living in a walk in closet compared to a crawl space.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Xiggi, you're talking about SRW/ under 10,000 gross I imagine.
Would you ever do a DRW/ over 10,000 lb ?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally I would go sprinter or the type. Over ten nope jump to a straight at that point.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
go rent a cube van for a week and play expediter before u pay out a ton of cash,,drive a 1000 miles and see..................

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The fuel consumption on cube van is way higher than a regular cargo van, while large loads specifically for cubes are once in a while.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the loads for cubes come up pretty often. There is a large number of loads out there over 4 ft tall I haul them all the time. It can be light and might only be one skid but that doesn't mean it will fit in a cargo van. Actually that describes the load getting me out of Miami in less than 24 hours today.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I would go with a single wheel 1 ton with a uni-cell body on it. 12ft box so you have room for you and a load. Plus the 9600# GVW would be nice

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
With freight variance, happenstance, and overall luck in today's market......get the one you want?

I've seen some great set ups with cubes. One guy had a electric fireplace sitting on the squared off wheel wells, with knotty pine side walls, and pictures on the wall. Looked just like a small living room. More versatility with cube, toward that regard. Might as well have fun?

If it's money for primary goal.....hard to beat a Sprinter "type" vehicle, as this should fit any company need.

If teaming....I'd go cube and have the fireplace :D

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would go with sprinter van, as toll roads are higher if you 4 tires on axle
also better fuel milages
also new sprinter out with 4 cyl engine really great on fuel 24 to 25 mpg
also at tysingers we have some great prices
send pm

zorry

Veteran Expediter
i would go with sprinter van, as toll roads are higher if you 4 tires on axle
also better fuel milages
also new sprinter out with 4 cyl engine really great on fuel 24 to 25 mpg
also at tysingers we have some great prices
send pm

I do not recall ever seeing a toll road with ability to count tires. Axles yes, tires, no.
Or am I just having a brain fart ?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . . having a brain fart ?

Brain%20Fart.jpg

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I do not recall ever seeing a toll road with ability to count tires. Axles yes, tires, no.
Or am I just having a brain fart ?
My $printer was a six wheeler and in toll booths with attendants they can, and often do, count tires...

And when they did I was charged more than a four wheeler.