Cargo van rate per mile under your own authority

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You should get $3.00 per mile.
Broker it to a carrier at $2.00 per mile.
He'll pay a van .85 per mile.
You can sit on a barstool and book loads.
The money will flow in so fast you won't know how to spend it fast enough.
And you'll drink top shelf.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The guy asks a legit question, and get nothing but crap for answers.

The ones with the ability to answer that question likely won't, unless an owner op will take his/her percentage, and figure out their company's rate, and then share it. I doubt any authority owners will divulge that information.

But even if the o/o would figure out their company's tariff for particular loads, there's nothing guaranteeing that those aren't 3rd party rates.

The OPs best bet is to talk to shippers himself. I'm usually an optimist when it comes to people doing their own thing, but the questions the OP is asking are indicative of a rookie who doesn't know which questions to ask.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
the only real answer is whatever you can get. have not ran any vans under my own number in 1 1/2 years but I will say I had some cv freight that paid an avg of 1.30 and more that paid an avg over $2.00. even had some that paid 700-1k per day to leave my van sit in parking lots waiting on contractors to come an install carpets for target stores. the good ol days when I could get a 10k check for not running.

Conejo

New Recruit
Driver
You should get $3.00 per mile.
Broker it to a carrier at $2.00 per mile.
He'll pay a van .85 per mile.
You can sit on a barstool and book loads.
The money will flow in so fast you won't know how to spend it fast enough.
And you'll drink top shelf.
I'm a driver (cargo van 2005 e-150) doing loads for one carrier currently. The carrir has provided me with Login credentials for a load board, so I bid my own loads. Now that I have some expereince ,just under a year. How can I make the conversion from driver to the guy ordering top shelf...? Thank YOU! Also, how can I get more loads with carriers?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a driver (cargo van 2005 e-150) doing loads for one carrier currently. The carrir has provided me with Login credentials for a load board, so I bid my own loads. Now that I have some expereince ,just under a year. How can I make the conversion from driver to the guy ordering top shelf...? Thank YOU! Also, how can I get more loads with carriers?
Have a more appropriate van for starters....

Reactions: Emp