Cargo van questions

Tcr9

Seasoned Expediter
I live in Arizona, what are the chances of making it as an O/O living in this area. Also, just curious where you park your cargo van when you sleep? and where you shower at?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Where to sleep;
Truck stop - number one area
Walmart - number two area

Shower;
Truck stop or hotel.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I bought a Wally World atlas. It lists the addresses of all the Wal Marts. I try to park at the Wal Marts exclusively. It is like the Wally World truck stop and camp grounds. There are several trucks and campers parked there at any given time. I have never been hassled by the mall cops at a Wal Mart. In a lot of southern states they have roving security guards. Good luck.

:+ :+

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One big advantage to driving a van is that you can park overnite just about anywhere. In a pinch, I've parked at 24 hr grocery stores, restaurants, and gas stations.
Showers are usually cheaper at the independent truckstops, and free at the newer rest areas on the Ohio Turnpike :) just bring your own towel. The major truckstop chains offer frequent fueler programs that earn free showers for fuel purchases, which is doable in a van. Why pay for what you can get free, right?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
>I live in Arizona, what are the chances of making it as an
>O/O living in this area. Also, just curious where you park
>your cargo van when you sleep? and where you shower at?

I'm not exactly sure what the market is for O/O's in your area so I can't really help ya out w/ that aspect of things. If ya do end up as a cargo van driver though, I'd sleep in the parking lot of your high end hotels whenever possible.

When I was on the road I often told people that I was doing so well I'd stay at the finest hotels in the country. Of course I left out the part about sleeping in my van out in their parking lot.

As for where to shower, truckstops have places for that. The price varies & often there's discounts or even free if you purchase fuel. It's been a bit since I've used one, but I'd think the absolute most you'll ever have to pay for a shower is $10. And again, quite often they're free.

I hope things turn out well for ya.

Take care,
Danny