Cargo Van or Sprinter?

ZIGGY

Seasoned Expediter
Iam looking into expediting as a second career. I spoke with several recruters now all i need to do is choose between a cargo van and a sprinter. I know that sprinter size loads pay more but do you really get that many loads that pay that amount? Or would I be better off at the lower pay per mile with a cargo van that cost less and runs on gas? And if it is a cargo van, would you recommend 3/4 ton or 1 ton, extended or regular? Of course, a 1 ton ext. cargo van probly costs just as much as a sprinter anyway. If you were starting out all over again, wich would you prefer? I would apprechiate any input.
thanx,
ZIGGY

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm a D unit driver however if I were looking at a van the Sprinter would be my second choice and the extended cargo van would be my third choice. I'd look at an Aerocell on www.unicell.com as my first choice. Good luck whichever way you go.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Sprinter. That way you can have a really big bunk.As slow as it is right now that will come in real handy.Espar heater or some type of auxillary heater to save on fuel and engine maintanance.Sprinters don't like to idle.

I'd advise you to check into the business a little bit more.Things are pretty slow right now for vans.So you are going to need a good bit of cash on hand just to survive until things pick up.Even when it isn't slow you need at least $2000.00 to carry you through untill you get a steady flow of revenue.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i drive a sprinter, i like it, for the fuel mileage and the room, last weekend i finally insulated it since winter is almost over, i built a flip down bunk ,and installed dual batteries for converter, i will still be able to haul 3 pallets when needed,will put the fridge and microwave back in when it warms up..heated mattress pad is at home waiting to be put on, this summer i will get a espar when i get the time to have one installed, runs on diesel so with a gas van you are out of luck there...heat is about the biggest convenience u can have in the winter..now would i buy another one?? yes i would

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Espar makes heaters that run on gas.
I have one in my Ford Van.

Lollie

Expert Expediter
>i drive a sprinter, i like it, for the fuel mileage and the
>room, last weekend i finally insulated it since winter is
>almost over, i built a flip down bunk ,and installed dual
>batteries for converter, i will still be able to haul 3
>pallets when needed,will put the fridge and microwave back
>in when it warms up..heated mattress pad is at home waiting
>to be put on, this summer i will get a espar when i get the
>time to have one installed, runs on diesel so with a gas
>van you are out of luck there...heat is about the biggest
>convenience u can have in the winter..now would i buy
>another one?? yes i would

Could you explain how you added duel batteries to the sprinter, and do you have any pics of your fold down bunk?
thanks Lonnie
[email protected]

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I've had a Sprinter now for about 6 months. I like it for the space inside and the mileage is great. It's a little pricey on service but I came from a "D" truck where service is pricey anyway. My "D" truck spoiled me so now I want the comforts. I built a sleeper in it with a folding bunk and cabinets that will clear a third skid as long as it isn't more than 4ft tall. As slow as it has been this first quarter it would be hard to do without that sleeper.

vipra

Expert Expediter
I'm in a Sprinter and love it. The 25 mpg saves you a lot more money than the lower gas price would. The space is 6' x 13', and about 1/4 of my loads get me the higher pay rate because of that extra space, so that's worth it. I have a twin-sized air mattress hanging from the ceiling on chains which I put up when I have freight and let down to sleep. If the freight is over 5' tall I let the air out of the mattress and it goes up closer against the ceiling. Rarely the freight is 6' tall, so I remove the bunk completely and stand it up along the side in front of the wheelwell. Get an Espar Airtronic 2 heater and 2 yellow top Optima batteries for auxilliary power and you'll never have to idle. I've done 140,000 miles in 1.25 years and haven't had any problems.
The only advantage of cargo vans is they can take heavier freight. Sprinters only take 2,700 lbs.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>The only advantage of cargo vans is they can take
>heavier freight. Sprinters only take 2,700 lbs.

If I did a Sprinter it would be the 3500 with the wheel wells modified to accept skids. There's a dealer in PA. who does that. With the 3500 you have total payload capacity of 4531 pounds. Even after building out the sleeper you'd have 3500 or so pounds of capacity.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Will give you my thoughts on this subject. I run the Aerocell like LBD refered to. These two links will show you what I have.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=348&forum=DCForumID16

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID16/519.html

Now to cover some points that have been mentioned. Number one. To get a comparably equipped Sprinter would be impossible. Sprinter is narrower so my bed system wouldn't work. Several other options on Ford/GM product not availiable on Sprinter. A Sprinter as close to my Aerocell as could be had would have cost me over $9,000.00 more. My van with diesel engine would have been $6,000.00 more. A diesel extended van would have been about the same price. An extended Ford 1 ton gas van would have been about $6,000.00 cheaper.

Would the diesel or Sprinter have saved me money. You can take the average price of diesel and gasoline on any given day and the answer will vary all over the place. I keep my fuel records on computer, putting in my mileage reading, gallons bought, and price paid, everytime I fill up. Last year for the whole year I also kept a record of the price of diesel at the time of fillup. Figuring a gain of 5 MPG with diesel and the price difference for the whole year I would have saved $.0186 per mile. Ok, for the $10,000.00 dollar difference on the Sprinter it would take me 537,423 miles to break even and start saving money. On the $6000.00 for a diesel it would have been 322,580 miles. This is not counting the extra for fuel treatment and extra maintenance expense for a diesel. Is it worth it? I'll let you decide for yourself. If I was trading today I would go back with gas. Got to worry about the price of the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel which will be required later this year unless the EPA extends the deadline again.

I won't knock someone else's product but if you search this forum real close and also other sources on the internet and also talk to owners of Sprinters you will find the Sprinter has developed a reputation. I will let you decide what that reputation is. Also when you talk to owners, I've found that if you ask them about problems they say they have had none. But then if you have some time to spend with them they get to talking and then they tell about how much money they had to spend fixing this and that or how many days they have had to wait on parts etc. Gives you a whole new perspective.

Now about the idling factor. I think everybody pretty well agrees idling a Sprinter is not recommended. Now I've had no dealings with the Espar heater but from what I've seen and heard it is a super good product and a very effecient method of heating for gas or diesel. But in my opinion it only addresses one third of the idling factor. The other two thirds are cooling in summer and keeping batteries charged all year round.

Lets take cooling in summer. Maybe I'm a wimp but I just cannot sleep good if I am sweating. If we are in our van we never let it get above 80 degrees inside. I have a Max Aire fan and two six inch fans in my van. Up to about 90 degrees outside temp they keep us comfortable. Above that it takes a/c. My idling system will start the engine at 80 degrees inside temp and run for 15 minutes cooling it back down. But above about 95 degrees outside it will start again in about five minutes so then I just turn the ignition switch to on and let the engine idle. Heat from outside plus exhaust heat from under the van even with all my insulation raises the inside temp quickly. My engine burns .7 gallons of fuel per hour idling. This year I am averaging $2.29 per gallon so it costs me $1.603 per hour to idle my engine. Lets take a worst case senario. Laredo TX last year. Unloaded on friday, got load to Charleston SC but didn't pick up until Sunday night. The daytime temp was 105. Nights got down about 90 by early am. At times I let it cycle but during the day I just let the van run.But let's just figure I ran it constantly. Last year my average price per gallon was $2.214 so for 24 hours it cost me about $53.00. Since I knew how long I was going to be there we got a motel room for one night. Again the decision is up to you and your preferences.

Now on battery charging. I have two aux batteries which runs QC,drink cooler, inverter, fans, XM radio etc. We have his and hers laptops which we keep charged off of invertor. Why two laptops? Wife loves to play cards. I don,t. She plays against the computer. I have some flight simulator programs and like to practice with them plus I use my laptop for stuff like this forum. With the QC, cooler, and laptops going I'm drawing about 15 amps out of my batteries. If fully charged they will last about 10 hrs before getting down to about 11.2 volts. If you draw them down any further than that you will shorten the life of the batteries. I have my starting system set to start the engine when the batteries get to the 11.2 volts. The engine runs 15 minutes but that doesn't fully charge the batteries but will give about 1.5 hrs of run time. It takes several hrs running to fully charge the batteries. Now maybe you won't use as much power as we do. Again it depends on your wants and needs.

Now you are probably asking why I don't get a generator. Main reason is weight. With all our creature comforts I've got this van a little heavy.(7600 lbs). I've knocked around the idea of a small engine (5 hp) with a regular automotive alternator and a 2000 watt invertor and 750 watt window a/c unit($80.00 bucks at Wallieworld). With an elec start engine I could hook my starting system to it and it would keep the batteries charged. But it would add a couple of hundred lbs and I would have to find somewhere on front or rear bumper to mount it etc. Right now I feel it's not worth the aggravation. Again it's personal preference.

I guess I've wrote a book to tell you, when considering what to buy, don't just figure you can buy a Espar heater and not have to worry about idling any more. There's more to it than that.

For someone starting in the expedite business fresh, I strongly recommend buying a gas extended van and financing it for three years max. If you can't pay it off in three years you don't need to be in this business period. If you can find a good late model used van that would be even better. I've been involved with trucks and business all my life and in expediting over eight years and starting with a Sprinter just doesn't make good business sense to me but that is my personal opinion.

Be very careful on making your decision and good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Dieseldoctor

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Dieseldoctor,

Thank you for sharing in this thread and for the links bringing your previous posts and photos back to mind. I LOVE your work!

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Hi Diesel doc. Wow what a load of info. I went back an looked at your building of your home on wheels. You do have a gift for creating some handy and useful items you should sell your air suspension ride to ambulance builders,I was taken E.R. last Oct. in Ford ambulance rough riding told paramedic they should have air ride suspension.
Chevy dealer in G.R. Mi. area told me he thinks old fasion gaser for most is way to go verses dsl. in cargo van.
Sprinter I haven't heard any complaints about this I would think narrow wheel base high sides ,would not handle good in the wind.
Tom :) :+ ;)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
DieselDoc, that was very informative. An excellant example of a long post that is worth the read and not just full of words. I'm considering switching to gas and I appreciate the specific numbers you included.

LDB, you've been a proponant of Sprinter wheel well modification and I just talked with a guy with an opposing view. He built his floor up to the top and this enables him to take much wider freight and still have a 56" height. He feels that the width is more of an advantage than the height. There's an analogy that could be made here, but..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe there are times when added width would be an advantage however by far the most freight is palletized. How much of that would need the added height versus how much would use the added width? I have no idea really. The bigger issue to me would be stability since the Sprinter is such a tall and relatively narrow vehicle. The 3500 does have the benefit of dual rear wheels but I'd still rather keep that center of gravity lower. Additionally, I'd commission dieseldoctor to build a bed like his for me and have the added height to allow using the bed even with stander 4x4x4 skids on board.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

cargodreaming

Expert Expediter
I drove a Ford E150 for a few years then got a sprinter and have not looked back since. Actually I have a 3500 series with a cube body. Now I am not worried about if a certain piece will fit or not. I can hold 6 skids as long as they are stacked not hanging over and the larger skids. Then im down to 4. I built an extention to handle all dock plates and carry a pallet jack with me. I do not have a liftgate nor will I get one due to the fact the expense and added weight. I rarely drop at a place that does not have the multi level docks. If I do then I pull out my ramps back up on them and I am dock level. I mentioned a while back that I was looking into a better solution to raising the truck I still would like to do this just time and money are in myway at the moment.

A few pictures of it

http://ontr.textamerica.com/?r=3825540

http://ontr.textamerica.com/?r=3825397

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
I'm curious about sloop into your box from ramps and dock plate possibly brought below dock highth. Does your pallet jack have brakes, or are you one big man. I did this before with truck below dock, fastened pallet jack to chain from fork lift. Pallet was heavy.
:+ ;) :) :)