Cargo Van or Box Truck

jimare

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Guy's, trying to figure out which would be the best way to go Cargo Van or Box Truck in order to make a good living?
Thanks in advance
jimare

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I was at that stage a few months ago. What I was told was cargo van. 18-20 MPG vs 12-14. Not enough 3 & 4 skid loads (C-rate) out there to justify the box truck. Not sure how many skids the box truck could carry, but if it was 5 or 6 then a lot of times companies are gonna call a dock high straight truck.

Mind ya, you may have other information to offer that ya didn't present here. From the nature of your Q though, I'm guessing you'd be better off in a cargo van.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would depend on the carrier. IF..they have a good FSC program and IF...they will sell the extra space and pay you for it then maybe a box truck. If you are going to run with any of the major carriers I would stick to a van.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
it all depends on the GVW....some CV's can haul more weight then some cube vans...alot more info is needed...i fight with myself on this issue from time to time, thinking i want a cube, but i never win and i am still in a 9600 lb gvw CV and can haul 3000 lbs with no problem......just because a cube can haul more skids, doesn't mean it can haul more weight.....its about "curb weight" and whats left of the GVW.......