Cargo van making strange noise.

guido4475

Not a Member
Ok, so I took it to a shop to have it looked at. Told them about the mysterious rumbling sound at over 60 mph.
They found the problem.(s)
I had a new windshield replaced a couple months ago. The rubber molding at the top of the windshield came loose and unglued so it was flapping at high speeds. So problem solved.
But also needed tie rods replaced AGAIN.

Michigan roads; Gotta love em. :rolleyes:
Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Glad they found the rumbling weatherstrip noise...

I swear by Moog problem solver steering and suspension parts. They cost more, but built the best and most durable.

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Windshield. That, I didn't see coming
Agree. I said it was a strange rumbling noise from the front of vehicle. Kind of like the sound of playing cards on the spokes of a bike when you were a kid to make it sound like a motorcycle. As soon as the mechanic pointed to the loose molding I said to myself of course, that's right. I had that windshield fixed a couple months ago and that's the sound the molding would make when,at high speeds, air would make that sound.
But the suggestions about checking the wheels/ front end helped though because they found a tie rod problem that I needed to get fixed. Plus I'm due for an inspection in another month. So, done and done.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, so I took it to a shop to have it looked at. Told them about the mysterious rumbling sound at over 60 mph.
They found the problem.(s)
I had a new windshield replaced a couple months ago. The rubber molding at the top of the windshield came loose and unglued so it was flapping at high speeds. So problem solved.
But also needed tie rods replaced AGAIN.

Michigan roads; Gotta love em. :rolleyes:
Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Glad they found the rumbling weatherstrip noise...

I swear by Moog problem solver steering and suspension parts. They cost more, but built the best and most durable.
They used Moog parts.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sister in maybe 2017 KW class 8 and has been into KW maybe 3 times for windshield rubber noise.
Travels well above 60 most of the time.

dalscott

Expert Expediter
Agree. I said it was a strange rumbling noise from the front of vehicle. Kind of like the sound of playing cards on the spokes of a bike when you were a kid to make it sound like a motorcycle. As soon as the mechanic pointed to the loose molding I said to myself of course, that's right. I had that windshield fixed a couple months ago and that's the sound the molding would make when,at high speeds, air would make that sound.
But the suggestions about checking the wheels/ front end helped though because they found a tie rod problem that I needed to get fixed. Plus I'm do for an inspection in another month. So, done and done.

I am sooo glad for you that it was something relatively simple.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums