Cargo Van Fleet Owners

flattop40

Expert Expediter
One of my goals when I got into this business was to become a fleet owner. My intitial thought was Cargo Vans however it doesn't seem to be that many out there.

Would really like to pick the brains of any cargo van fleet owners. Would like to know pros/cons. Pay of drivers. How did you find quality drivers? etc.

If prefer send me a PM.

I am still a year or 2 away but like before I got into this just gtrying to get my ducks in a row.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Vans are the hardest vehicles to fill, beside the margins are really thin.

OH and we are saturated with vans, I sit more because of them.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
flattop... after seven years in a van, I'm leaving them altogether. I am going to a straight truck in the next two weeks. There was a time not so long ago that some money could be made in a van. For me, that time has passed. Certainly, some will continue to do well in vans. With two kids in college, I gotta go where there's more action. And more money. Good luck in your endeavors.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i pay my driver 45% he gets paid after each delivery thru comdata, i pay everything else...word of mouth is the best advertising...theres a lot of good drivers out there, that drive for horrible fleet owners, mine was one of them...i presented a better opportunity and he took it...he has been with me for 4 months now and has 100% across the board...thru june we did real well, however july and august have been horrible financially for the both of us....a lack of freight....

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
I agree...stay away from the vans Flattop. I'm considering retiring my van and if my driver wants to drive it, I'll buy a C unit for him.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But see a few of you miss something here. I am a C unit owner and I can't keep this thing loaded like I want to because I am competing with the Vans - a problem that has to do with the size of the box, not weight.

If I was going to go out and buy a truck, I would either do one of Three things;

Get a tractor.

or

Get a used class 8 truck with a 22 foot box.

or

Get an argosy with a 24 foot to a 30 foot box and a drop axle.

Either way this is the way to go outside of FedEx.

The finny thing is, Trucks are cheaper to get into than a sprinter.