Cargo Box

british380

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone give me an idea on the cost of a dry cargo box? and a reefer cargo box? I've found several websites but there's no prices. A 16ft and a 22ft.Thanks

Reactions: 1 person

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A 22' dry box new would be less than $20k and a 22' reefer would be upward of $50k.

british380

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks..Do you know what a 16ft runs? Also who makes a decent reefer box?

Does anyone know who sells used reefer boxes?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Try truckpaper.com for used dry boxes. Make sure to check both heavy and medium duty. They also post reefer boxes and reefer units.

Reactions: 1 person

ATeam

Retired Expediter
About two years ago, we ordered a 16' reefer box new from Kidron. It included a lot of extras like 4" of insulation all the way around, eight rows of E-Track, heavy duty floor rings, and more. You can see complete specs on my web site. Click the "Truck Photo and Specs" link in my signature below.

The body cost $18,461.50 installed. To answer questions like you are asking, I asked my sales rep how much the same body would have cost if it was built as a dry box. He ran it through his computer pricing program. An exact, apples-to-apples comparison cannot be done because construction techniques differ between reefer boxes and dry boxes. The dry box price was about $12,000.

In other words, the dry box cost was about 2/3 as much as a similar sized and equipped reefer box.

Kidron makes a good product. Even more important, they service what they sell. We will likely return to Kidron for another reefer body when we build our next truck.

The TVAL-capable reefer cost $21,061.50 installed (underbody mount, split installation). So, in ballpark terms you could say the "R" (reefer) part of our CR-unit added about $27,000 to the cost of the truck ($21,000 for the reefer, plus $6,000 extra for a reefer body instead of a dry box), before taxes and financing charges.

Last edited:

Booker

Expert Expediter
Our new truck has a Supreme 22'6" Kold King reefer box. This is the third Supreme box we have bought, 1 dry box and 2 reefer boxes. I am very happy with the construction of the box and if we have had any problems, they were fixed quickly and fixed correctly.
The box has 4" of insulation in the walls, ceiling and floor. It was built for the upper mount reefer unit. It has 18 d-rings in the floor, 6 rows of e-track on the side walls and 3 rows on the front wall. Our door opening is 92" wide X 101" high. A Leyman 4500# liftgate was also installed.
The total price was $25,017 installed.
We had a Carrier 850 Supra Stealth above mount reefer unit installed by Carrier in Ft. Wayne, IN. It came with everything to be TVal qualified. So far the unit has performed flawlessly with the exception of a shorted wire which blew a fuse.
The total price for this unit was $19,555 installed.
We are very happy with the above combination and would recommend it to anyone.

british380

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks everyone. All good information:D

Can anyone give me an approximate price on stretching a trucks frame?

Booker

Expert Expediter
Supreme installed 10 d-rings when the truck was built. They were building 2 boxes at he same time and I wanted my d-rings installed in a different location than they normally install them. The boxes were identical except for the d-ring location. The wrong box was installed on our truck so Supreme installed 8 more d-rings where we first wanted them installed. That is the reason for 18 d-rings.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have four D-rings on the floor of our truck. If our carrier did not require them, we probably would not have any. They are almost never used (actually never, as I think about it). They collect dirt. They make it more difficult to use pallet jacks and dollies in the back. There are other ways to secure freight as well or better than if D-rings are used.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
We have four D-rings on the floor of our truck. If our carrier did not require them, we probably would not have any. They are almost never used (actually never, as I think about it). They collect dirt. They make it more difficult to use pallet jacks and dollies in the back. There are other ways to secure freight as well or better than if D-rings are used.

Are they those recessed ones that sit flush when folded? I carry empty skids (for exchange or return) a couple of times a week and thought a row of the down the centre would make then easier to keep in place.

08CareerOTR

Seasoned Expediter
British380, just be careful....be sure the 16ft or 22ft box van not over 10,000 lbs or you have to keep a Log book. But I have been searching for a nice 16ft or 18ft cube van and most are on E-Bay.....but keep looking you will find good one......there's many site's to look up cube box vans...........

Chris-( FreyFoxx Enterprises).........