Cargo box strength?

G

I caught a comment that DaveKc made in another thread and decided I should ask this. What should I be looking for in a used box concerning strength and durability issues? I'm going tomorrow to look at some used boxes. Sorry for the short notice. I probably won't buy anything tomorrow anyway, just looking, so there will be time for replies.

Thx all,

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Probably the best time to look at a used box is right after a heavy rain. Most carriers will require the box to be weather tight, so after it rains look inside for any signs of water leakage. Check the floor boards for any damage, and if you can look underneath, make sure there are no cracked or damaged support members. Also make sure the floor wood isn't rotted above the area where the old truck's rear wheels were below it. If it has rollup door, check the bottom panel to be sure it isn't rotted, and make sure the lift springs operate in a decent manner- don't expect perfection here, they require a lot of maintenance to operate smoothly. Check the hinges if barn doors, and the weatherstripping on either. Boxes made by Morgan or Supreme tend to be recognized as the leaders. I found the Babb box on my old truck was decent too. I have a friend with a Kidron box, who says it does nothing but leak, might want to avoid that make. Not a durability issue, but a box that is lined with e-track installed will be to your advantage when looking, as many carriers require this. If the exterior of the box isn't all banged up and the price plus all the above is good, you have yourself a box. For expediting, the "bigger is better" saying reigns true.
-Weave-

G

Thx, for the info.

On a side note, I wander if the stronger frame rails on a truck would not help the box to keep it from leaking. You know the the twisting and flexing can't be good for the sheet metal, rivets, etc.

Btw, It's raining tonight. :) Sounds like good timing to me, although it's not a terribly hard rain, it is raining.

thx again,

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What you mentioned above is a very good reason for having the full double frame rails, or doubling as much as possible. It adds hundreds of percent more strength to keep the frame from bowing under the weight of heavy forklifts entering the truck, which in turn keeps the box from becoming damaged. It's a bit of a different situation from what goes on in a dump truck body. I was going to mention this advantage in the other thread, but I didn't want to sound like a contradictory know-it-all because I'm not :eek: Looks like you used some simple reasoning and figured it out yourself:)
It's been raining here in NY too, but I'll get some pics of the driveshaft setup once it lets up.

-Weave-

G

Weave, for sure don't get yourself wet..lol. It could be weeks before I really need the info. on the drive shafts. I'm going to look at mine today to get an idea of what I need, but there is no hurry on the specifics.

Thx, for the input on the box. I don't mind you stating your opinions on the stretch. I think I have a pretty good idea of where your line of thought is and for the most part, I agree. I'm not sure that I'll end up building the stretch quite as stout as you would if you were doing it, but we'll see :). When it gets right down to it, I just have to decide what is justifiable to me, but input is still very much appreciated and encouraged. I've had friends help before by just saying yeah, yeah, that'll work and next thing you know..it doesn't..so, long winded way of saying that some of the things you say, might alert me to something I didn't see.

Thx for the input... all of it! x(

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hey,

I work with the largest Morgan distributor in the country here in the Phila. area.....

They have a number of used Morgan boxes and others...

Give me some parameters and I'll get you some info....

Also I have a great pamphlet on building boxes by Morgan.....If you want e-mail me your snail mail address and I'll get it to you...

You may want to also look at a new box....I get good pricing from them on standard dry freight units....

One thing you want to check is if the box was built for forklifts...
This an actual "option" when you buy a new box...

Just FYI....

"The Beast in the East":D

G

thx tazman, i'll email you. I would love to have the pamphlet on the new boxes, but I'm not sure I can afford one.

The boxes I looked at today included one Morgan. It had 3 strikes against it for me. 1) it was red..no match at all 2) the roll-up door was in poor condition, looked as they it is made of wood and somewhat rotten or at least swelled. 3) it was too long.. it was a 24' box, but the overall length was 24'6"..it had a lift gate, but I wasn't including it in the measurement. The price was good..the box was in very good condition other than the door and I could buy it for $2k.

They had an Alumi-bunk box there that I could have gotten real cheap, but it had some damage. The nose on the top front of the box was torn off and they had run something down the side of the box just below the top rail. Several rivets were popped loose and probably 3/4 of the panels were at least damaged. The damage wan't severe, but would have to be repaired and I figure it would cost alot to repair the whole side?? It was 22'box with barn doors and ICC bumper and it was in good shape other than the damage. I could probably get it for $1k or less. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to repair the side and nose piece?

thx,

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I started driving for a fleet owner who had nothing but Alumi-Bunk trucks. I don't know if they have changed their boxes any over the years, but the A-B boxes on the trucks I drove in 1998 were absolutely horrible. The top ends of these boxes, which were 22 footers, would sway so much in the wind I would look at them in the mirrors waiting for the moment they would blow apart. They designed and built these lightweight boxes for the expediter market, and they are just that- light and too cheap on the quality end. Guess is these boxes get severely damaged with just regular use. Although it will probably have the specs for expedite use, might want to avoid that box.
-Weave-

G

I think i had seen something about that in another thread, wasn't sure though. The box "looked" ok, but for the most part, I wouldn't know one from the other anyway. I think the box didn't have much use on it is one reason that it was in good condition (other than the damage). It was on a '99 fl70 expedite truck, buddy looked and told me that the truck was showing less than 100k miles, but it sure looked like a lot more than that. That had to be a rough 100k.

I would have bought the Morgan box and replaced/repaired the door if it wasn't too long. But then I would have had to paint it too :( .

Thx for the tips Weave,

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Weave covered it all. Don't forget to check support members for alot of rust damage. Seems to be common on alot of them

G

Tazman...quote:

>> I work with the largest Morgan distributor in the country here in the Phila. area.....

They have a number of used Morgan boxes and others...

Give me some parameters and I'll get you some info....

Also I have a great pamphlet on building boxes by Morgan.....If you want e-mail me your snail mail address and I'll get it to you...
<<

Tazman, I emailed you, but I've not back. Did you get the email? I would really like to get the pamphlet. If possible, I could maybe call you and you could fax it to me if it's not a large pamphlet?

I'm mainly interested in exactly what I need to look for to determine that is has the forklift package. If I ever find a suitable box, that is x( .

Thx,

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
It slipped my mind once again where you are located but you might try these guys:

Jarco Enterprises
1200 State St, Fairmont, WV 26554
(304) 363-2070

I bought my F650 there and they were great. When I was there I saw about 5 boxes in good shape on their lot. They do a lot of fabricating/outfitting for trucks, so they get a lot of boxes.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

G

thx...but I'm in Arkansas. That seems to be a huge problem..lol. I know there here, but I'm sure not having any luck finding them.

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
For a future O/O a road trip from AR-WV is no big deal =)

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

G

OK...I need some advice here. Since I've had absolutely "0" luck finding a 102" wide box anywhere near me, I went back to the first one I looked at. It's a Supreme box. It measures 102 x 102 outside. The roll up door needs a little a help, but I think I can manage with it. The box is in very, very good shape other than the door. It has had the right rear panel replaced as the paint does not match, but the color of the box simply will not work for me anyway, so will be painting it anyway. The price seems good to me $1500. It is 24'6" to the rear of the box. The tailights and a guard around them add another 2", but if I had to, I could move those...I think? This seems to be "the" box for me, simply because it's the only one I've found that's even close to what I've been looking for given the advice from you guys..especially Weave.

Here's the catch: The box measures exactly 96" to the inside of the rub rails. It would 97" without the rails. The problem is at the very rear of the box. Just behind the door, the frame of the box closes the opening to 91". Now what? I don't think this has anything to do with the roll-up door. It looks like a very serious part of the box frame/strenth to me.

If this box will work..let me know so I can call tomorrow or Monday and get it "saved" for me.

Thx, Arky

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a good feeling I know where that box came from, those are the exact boxes Jeff Jones from Ft Wayne KW uses on the T300 HDX'es. They are noted as a very good quality box, and the price sounds awesome as they are nearly $15k new. They are fully expediter spec'ed, and no mods (other than the paint :p need addressing. Or you can paint your truck cab to match and have a little fire engine:7
-Weave-

G

Confirmation...The 91" door width is "ok"?

If so, I just may drive the 150 miles again in the morning and make that a "done deal" before I mess around and let it get away. I looked at that box earlier, but passed because it was red. I figured heck, why paint it, I'll just find a white one..lol. Now I know what a joke that was..I could have bought the paint with long distance bill I've aquired this week..lol.

Edited to add: I just counted...94 different phone #'s that I called this week..lol. Basicly covering any state that I even thought may have bordered AR at some time or another..lol

Thx, Arky

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi Arky,

I just attended a class and tour at the Morgan plant here in Morgantown PA....

Found out they sell mis-orders and cancellations..They have several plants around the country...one is in Rydal GA...That near you ???

Anyway...we learned about the sub assemblies crossmembers as they relate to strength the box at the rear where towmotors hit the hardest....
They use 4" Longrails and 3" Crossmembers....and wheel pans welded to the crossmembers to get extra strength in those areas...

Most people are getting Aluminum units as opposed to FRP...although they build out 24-36 units a day form that plant mixed....

I know I'm rambling...but if you have specific questions ...perhaps the notes I took can help......

Saw several International chassis in the yard with Bentz sleepers attached...waiting for bodies.....

Thanks,

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":)

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
Designed for extra strength and durability, the unique, offset hinge design allows for zero clearance when opening the cover and allows for the chest back to be placed tightly against the front of the pickup bed