CANADA

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
HI,I SENT MY APPLICATION IN TO FED EX CC,AND TO CANADA(FAST).MY QUESTION IS,IF CANADA FOR SOME REASON TURNS DOWN MY APP,AND FED EX CC OKS ME,WILL FED EX STILL HIRE ME,EVEN THO CANADA TURNED ME DOWN?I WILL BE DRIVING A (D) UNIT SOLO.I HAVE READ ALOT OF POST ON HERE,AND THEY SAY PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING,YOU CAN'T MAKE ANY MONEY DRIVING SOLO.I LIVE IN MARYLAND JUST OUTSIDE OF WASH,DC.THE TRUCK I WILL BE DRIVING HAS A LIFT GATE,DOLLIES,HAND TRUCKS,PALLET JACK,BLANKETS(A LOT OF THEM)20 STRAPS,12 CARGO BARS,CARGO RINGS IN THE FLOOR.ARE THERE ANY ADVANTEGE TO HAVING THIS EQUIPMENT ON THE TRUCK,AS FAR AS GETTING RUNS?ITS A 60/40 SPLIT,I PAY FOR FUEL,TOLLS.DOES ANYONE HAVE A EAZYPASS FOR THE TOLLS?MINE MAIN CONCERN IS FUEL.THE O/O SAYS THAT THE TRUCK GETS ABOUT 10 MILES TO A GALLON,IS THIS GOOD?HE IS GOING TO FILL UP THE TANKS,WASH THE TRUCK,AND GET A PM DONE ON IT BEFORE I PICK IT UP.IT HOLDS 200 GAL OF FUEL.HOW MUCH DO YOU GUYS SPEND ON FUEL A WEEK?I AM OLNY ASKING BECAUSE I WANT TO MAKE SURE I'M GOING TO MAKE ENOUGHT MONEY TO MAKE THE WIFE HAPPY.I KNOW NOT EVERY WEEK WILL BEE GOLD,BUT LOOKING FOR SOMETHING CLOSE TO IT.SHOULD HEAR FROM FED EX BY THE END OF THE WEEK,HOPEFULY.I WILL POST AGAIN WHEN I KNOW SOMETHING,EITHER,GOOD OR BAD.MY HANDLE ON THE OLD CB WILL BE BEACHBUM OR WV MAN.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hi Earl, as far as the Fast card question I am not sure as we obtained ours back when we ran with the Con. We run a T-val Cr unit with Fecc now and our fuel bill will be substantialy higher because of our deadhead and length of haul not forgeting we are a team. My encouragement for you is in your location and as far as advice I would try to work the shorts in and around Jersey and New York as there is plenty of work there and it isn't unheard of to pull 2 $500 runs a day in that area. I will probably get alot of backlash on this but I feel as many times as we have been in that area and the offers I have received on the QC some could easily take advantage of that niche in the market. Hell if you worked 5 days and still grossed $3500 bought fuel on the turnpike you could do pretty well for a solo.
Mike

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Earl
Unless you have serious run-ins with the law the likelyness of you being turn down is very small. you will have to trek up to one of the border locations to go through the interview, I would suggested Windsor at the customs compound - they were very nice to me.

As a FedEx contractor, I have yet been on a Fast load. although I have used my Fast card when entering Canada as per the instuctions. I get more questions, like where I live and what other than than the shipment do I have. For the first time they actually bent over to look into my van.