Can you get a commercial ticket in a Sprinter?

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the main focus should be of course
A DOT officer's duty is to ensure the safety of the highways, they have the duty to inspect ANY vehicle if they believe it maybe a danger to the public whether a car, van anything using the road in an unsafe manner....

The following vehicles require GVW plates:

• All trucks weighing over 8,000 pounds (empty) used commercially
  • All semi tractors used commercially
  • Trucks weighing 8,000 pounds or less (empty) towing a trailer or any other vehicle for commercial purposes (This does not include pickups and vans under 8,001 lbs. towing a trailer. They use regular fees as if there was no trailer).
From state of Michigan web site....

SOS - Do I need a commercial plate on my vehicle?
That's if you register in Michigan. In Texas you would have a pick up truck tag.
In CA you might get a commercial tag even if the vehicle was personal. Just look at California pick ups they only have one letter rest are numbers

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pennsylvania makes no distinction between personal vs commercial use, for vehicles titled as trucks. My van's plates cost $173 yearly, for a class 3 plate (7000-9000 lb GVW). To register it as a passenger vehicle ($36), I'd need to convert it into a luxury van or RV.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He started a thread on Sprinter Source too. Yes it was speeding that brought things on. I basically told him the same things