Canada Can someone tell me the latest laws

EagleXpress

Expert Expediter
Ok, I am getting back on the road and I wonder what hoops we have to jump thru to cross Canadian border- I mean as of today... what card,credential,background check,etc. Seems we have to buy something new often. What great new "Idea" do they have now !? thanks..............

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
driver license, passport and birth certificate.

if the frt is f.a.s.t. approved then you must have a fast card also. about a hundred bucks and 2 appearances at a border crossing that handles the fast applications. talk to your carrier about forms.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The hoops are getting back into the US. Passport or travel card will ease the pain but the best thing by far is a FAST card.

If you cross the border a lot, the truck transponder (DTOPS) is also very helpful.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
for my van it was 5.50 getting from usa to canada and 10.50 at the usa customs officers interrogation station and another 5.50 to get off "their" property back into detroit.

i am not certain it is financially better to go to canada. the fuel at the duty free is not that less expensive than street prices either.

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I made an unexpected run to a town near Winnipeg September 11, 2009. I did not have a passport. They will still let you cross both ways with a driver's license and birth certificate. I did have to pay a $10.75 fee to return to the US. As stated there are better credentials if you cross often but at this time they are not mandatory. I did have to leave the van to speak to Canadian Immigration.

Both sides asked me about my criminal history and neither seemed to have any trouble pulling it up to verify my memory. I thought the US question, "Have you ever been fingerprinted", was especially clever. I had nothing on my record to cause a problem but I do not know where they draw the line.