Can anyone give some advice about getting into Expediting ?

jallen943

Rookie Expediter
I'm looking at getting into a sprinter van and doing expediting. Can anyone give me some advice as to what kind of sprinter to get , who to lease onto, who to stay away from etc... ?

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Stay away from the sprinter all together, too many out here already, get your cdl and get into a straight truck......IMHO the best bet

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Stay away from the sprinter all together, too many out here already, get your cdl and get into a straight truck......IMHO the best bet

Same could be said for straights at times..And besides he wants a sprinter,,Let him have one :D

Im not a sprinter but I would recommend a white one,,they show the rust faster..LOL

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wonder how $printer rates will hold up in a few years when $printer-Size Vans will be the normal van on every corner ?

It's kind of watch what you wish for, you just might get it.

On the rust thing, is Ziebart a thing of the past ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
To the OP, read back through past posts/threads.
Every thing you can think to ask has been asked and answered many times.
You'll find your answers if you dig a little..
Good Luck.
It's not easy, and it's not guaranteed success.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
On the rust thing, is Ziebart a thing of the past ?

I dont know but some seem to go way to fast,,Kinda like the old chevy trucks did for awhile years ago..Maybe its the washing of trucks that has become a thing of the past??

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Maybe lack of washing combined with modern chemicals.
Kidron coated the underside of my body with a wax like substance that has to be ground off prior to welding.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe lack of washing combined with modern chemicals.
Kidron coated the underside of my body with a wax like substance that has to be ground off prior to welding.

Ummmmmm:p..............

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
not too long after I got mine, when I installed the Air Tabs, I ended up using degreaser to wash the van. They Air Tabs instructions said no grease or oil, so I made sure of that. When I was finished I used a liquid clay bar and then Turtle Wax Ice wax and polish to finish it off. Apparently that's all it took to make mine far more resistance to rust than most of the others. I have a little rust show up now, but nothing like most of them from 05 and earlier.

noneya

Active Expediter
If you're looking to get rich, then don't get into expediting especially in a cv or sprinter.

SENT FROM YO MAMA'S HOUSE!

jallen943

Rookie Expediter
I currently have a Class A Cdl and have been driving for almost 4 years now. I'm not looking to get rich overnight , but I'm tired of working 60 hours a week at my current job and not making any money. Is there a GOOD company to lease onto with a Sprinter. I don't want to buy a tractor trailer cause I really don't have anywhere to park it and don't want to invest that much into a truck setup.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Curious, as to how much you're making for your 60 hours.
How long are you willing to stay away from home ?
There are good companies that will hire $printers. I'm not sure they want rookies in a $printer.
You can look in the classifieds on EO and try driving someone else's $printer while you see how you like it with a minimal financial risk.

noneya

Active Expediter
I currently have a Class A Cdl and have been driving for almost 4 years now. I'm not looking to get rich overnight , but I'm tired of working 60 hours a week at my current job and not making any money. Is there a GOOD company to lease onto with a Sprinter. I don't want to buy a tractor trailer cause I really don't have anywhere to park it and don't want to invest that much into a truck setup.

Well, you won't make much in a sprinter as you will sit more than you run. If you want to get into expediting, go the straight truck route, if you have room for one at the house.

SENT FROM YO MAMA'S HOUSE!

jallen943

Rookie Expediter
I pull a 53' Landoll now for a rental equipment company and get paid bi-weekly. After Takes and all for a paycheck with between 110-120 hours I bring home around $1300 for two weeks work.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Maybe a good sticky would be
I dove a CV for ------- . I stayed out xxx days in 2013 and I netted $xx,xxx.xx after fuel and tolls.
I drove a Sprinter....... And on and on.
There will be highs and lows. We often here of the more successful. Human nature keeps us from hearing much of the low end stories.
Other than the p*ss beat me out of all my money.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
About $650 per week, every week, after taxes ?
I would think most would say stay where you are and keep looking for a better TT job.

A sprinter, I would think, would most likely be a pay cut.
Never driven one, so I'll step back and let the experts speak.

jallen943

Rookie Expediter
Soooooooo............... Can I make more money than that ? Like I said earlier Im not trying to get rich overnight but if I can provide a better living for my family then I want to do it. I'm okay with being over the road I've done that before. It's not great but I'm doing it for good reasons which makes it worth it to me.