can a desktop computer survive the road?

hitek

Expert Expediter
Maybe someone has some experience with this...taking a full size pc on the road. buying a laptop right now is a little difficult, plus I never really liked them much. If your desktop screws up its just a simple matter of getting under the hood and replacing parts if need be. Any one have a desktop in their truck? If so how do you secure it? I Will be driving a straight truck with an ample sleeper area.

thanks

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I've seen it done in a truck similar to a Reliable Car Hauler rig. Very large sleeper and air-ride to boot. The problem I was told was in the voltage surge. You need a sion inverter which is pretty pricey. Do you have a generator? What about internet connection. With a laptop it is a built in option. Otherwise the voltage and amperage with desktop will kill your batteries, then kill your computer with the low voltage problem. A bit of a circle. Just a few thoughts for you to ponder. I think you should get the info from a reputable sleeper company as you will be building a virtual office. They will know best. Good luck

raceman

Veteran Expediter
A driver that used to run for me had one in the truck. I have no idea how he had it all hooked up but he did it in my truck and had to add nothing but a bigger inverter. He secured it with rubber straps. He loved it. When I looked in it seemed to be a bit much room taken up. I am about to get back on the road in another truck and I have an extra computer so I just may try it myself. If it works I will let you know.

---Why hug a tree when you can mash on a CAT---

raceman

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Having worked on Laptops and PeeCee's in general for many years I would suggest a cheap laptop both for space, power and security reasons. Today's laptops are just as robust as desktop systems if you buy a decent brand like IBM, Toshiba or even Gateway. Avoid Dell laptops at all costs.

--
Mike N

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Mike, I plan on being in the market for a laptop here shortly and I thought Dell was supposed to be one of the best. Can you tell me why,

DUDE !!! I shouldn't be gettin a Dell?

Thx,
Fr8 Shaker

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Raceman's driver. Bungee cords are essential. Also, some kind of stiff padding, such as styrofoam, to go under both the case and the monitor. And, of course, get an optical mouse.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have an HP I ordered through their website. Was able to configure it exactly as I wanted and have been very pleased with it. It's fast and has a widescreen so watching movies is like being at the movies.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Im my experience Dell laptops are weak and quite fragile. When I worked in the IT world I was responsible for 200 laptops assigned to a State of Maryland agency. The IBM's were the best, the last batch they got were Dell. You could twist the lower case easily with your bare hands. Scary. This means evil things when combined with road rattle and being handled every day. Mark my words, you will not be happy.

I have a 6 year old Toshiba (in fact I am typing this message on it) and it has been through hell with me. The only repairs I have done was to replace the broken CD drive with a used DVD out of an IBM.

Others will have good and bad to say about their laptops and that is good info too. However as I said I worked on these things for a living for more than a little time so I can claim some for real hands on experience here.

Best of luck on whatever choice you make.

--
Mike N

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I've always thought this to be a good idea, as you can get a great computer at Walmart for $5-800 these days.

The one I'm on right now has an 80g hard drive, CD-DVD-RW drive (burns CD's), 17 inch monitor, etc.... for around $700.00. Pad the tower well, strap it down, and use a flat panel monitor, and it would be a great computer for the truck. Walmart also has a plug-in WiFi antenna to.

Dreamer

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Ok, for what it's worth - we love Dell here at EO. They have a service feature where they will show up the next day if there is a problem that they can't resolve over the phone. That service costs about $150 for three years - what a deal!

Also, dollar for dollar - they have some great deals. I just saw this laptop for $649:

Inspiron 1000
Mobile Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.20GHz, 14.1-in XGA
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
256MB, 1 DIMM

+ free shipping & free wireless card!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

RogerRabbit

Expert Expediter
Hi,

For what its worth I have a dell laptop it is an inspiron 2650. I bought it 2 years ago and absolutely love it. I have not had any problems with the it and would not hesitate to buy another one when the time comes for a new one. Thats my experience with a dell hope it helps you.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can say that my Dell works fine. Some older models, say the ones some folks use to work on years ago in another life, were weak in the case. Dell has out preformed my co-workers Gateway, ( two hard drives, simms and even his screen went out)

Best thing to do is, get on the net and see what best suits your needs. My needs were met in the Dell c600, 20 gig hard drive. Laptop stands are out there, and Dell makes a 12 volt charger/power supply. Works fine and has for years.

To each his own as they say. Go with what makes you feel at ease.

Steady