California Warning

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
The NWS (National Weather Service) has issued a HIGH WIND ADVISORY until tomarrow night. A front is coming in this afternoon into Southern Ca and will be heading northeast. In souhern California winds wil range from 55 mph to 90 mph thru tomarrow night. In central and northern California, winds will range from 55 mph to 90 mph and will reach velosities of OVER 105 MPH over ridges, bluffs, gorges and the mountains. These winds will be very dangerous making travel for high profile vehicles and vehicles with trailers very difficult. The local news here in Sacramento advised that there will no doubt be hundreds, if not thousands, without power due to toppling trees and branches.:eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for a great post. Hope you guys survive it. I am so happy I am not in California. I don't miss it one bit.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Layoutshooter: wish we were already gone!
Cannedmeat27: LOL
Beachbum: keep us posted, good to hear. The NWS said the mountain passes would be the worst. The winds here in N. Sacramento averaging 35 to 40 mph consistantly. The NWS is still saying the same thing. The local news is saying that several trees and large branches here in Sacramento has already damaged several homes and vehicles.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It's on.

From news reports Thursday mid-morning:

CA: Cajon Pass, at least 6 semis blown over before dawn.

UT: I-15, 11 semis blown over, six in Davis County. High profile vehicles ordered off the freeway until 6 p.m. Thursday.

NM: Wind warnings issued for later this afternoon.

NV: High wind warning in effect 50-60+ mph.

“What’s driving this is a large, cold low-pressure system that’s currently centered over Needles, Calif. The strong winds are wrapping around it,” weather service forecaster Andrew Rorke said.

Last edited:

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
When we left cali yesterday we took the 15 and an OTR straight truck was blown over with the cab hanging off over the bluff!:eek:
But we continued on, winds were mainly a head wind, so it wasn't to bad. When we got to Kingman, Az, the interstate was closed down, so we had to park it til morning. We left Kingman, went thru 2 bad snowstorms, only to get to Albuquerque, NM and read the "overhead sign" saying I 40 east from mm 181 to mm 209 is closed til further notice due to several factors; an accident involving 2 big trucks (1 with HM) and several 4 wheelers, a 9 mile strectch going up the big hill that is completely covered with "SLIPPERY" ice and continues for a few miles, another snowstorm through late tonight and a few "super truckers" who thought they could make it when no one else could and a 14 mile backup. So, we are parked, again, til morning and hopefully, we can get outa this muck!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Wow! That's a run for the books.

We picked up near Albuquerque Thursday afternoon and dealt with heavy winds and dust until we got east, up out of the valley. Then it was just fuel-sucking headwinds until midnight.

Friends of ours were in the area but avoided the weather by dropping south and taking I-10 east. It added miles but kept them out of trouble.