California Scales and prepass

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
We loaded in Oregon late last week and was red lighted (prepass)to pull into the first California scale. Once on the scale I was told to pull into an inspection bay. The inspector told me not to set the brakes, he chocked the wheels and came up to the drivers window and asked me if I could turn off the refer unit. I told him no it was a temperature validated load. He looked back and forth at my truck, then said 'I'm going to cut you lose, you could not hear me. (I guess he was talking about when he would be under the truck and asking to press down on the brakes) He pulled the chock and motioned me out of the bay. Cool!
My main question now is we've been red lighted on EVERY open scale since. Has Fed Ex gotten some bad CSA sores to where they are pulling in all FXCC trucks? Anybody else experiencing this?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Well, somewhat. Just opened a letter from Prepass on Friday about this very issue. The algorithm changed from CSA to the changeover to CSA-ISS (?), which raised the company score enough to guarantee a red light every time in Cali now. A couple other states changed also, but not to 100%. If i think about it in the AM, I'll post correct numbers and acronyms. I do know that California being 100% pull-in is correct, though.

GandJ

Active Expediter
In the last two weeks everyone is getting pulled in. Note how many windshields have stickers. Last week at three truck stops I counted 3 out of every 4 trucks with a sticker.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Last week we got a red light in Banning, CA then green through the scales.
The only other red light was coming into Colorado on I 25, but again, passed through on green.

GandJ

Active Expediter
I should have included I was counting and noting the stickers in California only. In CA we were red lighted in at every station for a week. San Diego to San Francisco.
Since the 1st we were pulled in to only two stations from NY to CA and back.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
Update:

We were back in California last week and was red lighted on the prepass on every open scale. I've gotten in a habit of running my refer (all the time) and running the center (loaded/empty) lane. So far we have not been pulled in for an inspection.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
......and you're gonna get red-lighted for the next two years, unless the off-ramp is full, or the scale is closed.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I got a green light tonight.... it was closed:cool:

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Agreeded. How ever all the bad vibs from the Doubles Accidents doest help our situation at all. Trying to up the score by merging Entities well college boys and girls looks good on paper but then again so does a liquid load thats 40,000 lbs How Ever your truck and trailer weigh 39750 to the college boys and girls it can be scaled u should be able to haul it. Reality check here now lets use some common sense. Leaving the blinders off lets one see the whole picture. Getting back to the subject. The person in the reefer you got lucky u couldnt shut the reefer off so the Dot gave u a bye so that being said Thank your lucky Stars. On another note hit the reset buttions inother words the test button before you u go in to CA. It Helps.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
......and you're gonna get red-lighted for the next two years, unless the off-ramp is full, or the scale is closed.

Why is that? We have been back to California since the last two times and yes we were AGAIN red lighted for every OPEN scale.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Because of FDCC's CSA-ISS score. Didn't you get the letter from Prepass?

The two-year figure I quoted above was not random. It's going to take that long for us to be under California's threshold for 100% pull-ins.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Agreeded. How ever all the bad vibs from the Doubles Accidents doest help our situation at all. Trying to up the score by merging Entities well college boys and girls looks good on paper but then again so does a liquid load thats 40,000 lbs How Ever your truck and trailer weigh 39750 to the college boys and girls it can be scaled u should be able to haul it. Reality check here now lets use some common sense. Leaving the blinders off lets one see the whole picture. Getting back to the subject. The person in the reefer you got lucky u couldnt shut the reefer off so the Dot gave u a bye so that being said Thank your lucky Stars. On another note hit the reset buttions inother words the test button before you u go in to CA. It Helps.

Huh? Someone pass the decoder, por favor.

If my IRT-ese is right, you're referring to something about FedEx doubles. That has zero to do with FDCC-leased trucks and this topic.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Good inspections count for nothing. We, and FedEx, are on a demerit/punishment system as opposed to a merit/reward system. Those systems are always bad.

That's only partly true. Clean inspections wipe away some of the carrier's score, but not in every BASIC. For the purpose of this thread, clean inspections will (albeit slowly), drive down the two BASICs that earned us the 100% pull-in for Prepass.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Concerned about scores everyone is. Weather one gets a good boy letter or out of service letter.
What can a person say. It happens. You get your truck inspected and DOT In Ohio and given a good clean bill of health run 2000 miles and and get pulled after you off load and be heading to a Truck stop and get a pulled in on a scaled DOT and put OOS. It Happens nothing you can do about it. You get inspected A Ok do a run deliver it and then get pulled in & Put OOS Yup Happens.

Before u go into AZ CA OR IN OH buy your self a creeper.
to check your Break Drums for cracks chalk the wheels on tractor trailer
make sure Trailer supply Red and parking break Yellow are pushed in use a light tell your partner to push in on the breaks and hold it. Then use a creeper and roll under the truck and trailer check the drums for cracks. If you got to do it by yourself you can wedge a tire buddy between the seat and the Break Pedal to hold in on the break. (A partner is better and Easyer though) or get get another truck driver to push on the break for you while ur doing the check.
NOTE: You cant Properly check for Cracked drums pulling on the slack adjuster.
Applying the Breaks works and is how the DOT check for cracked drums.

Airlines is another thing No Rub marks on the lines that run from the tractor to to trailer No Rub marks.

Electronic Logs funney some say the are wonderful some say the Hinder.
CA AZ OH Print it Print Print it. Somthings you can like those logs you can as long as Qual Com is up.

Make sure your doing a min of a 15 min Pre trip mininum they be checking.

Dot Tape make sure the Red and White DOT Tape on a Trailer goes all the way across the back of the trailer doors no breaks. AZ they check it. Make sure also you got the 2 white Dot tape on the upper part of doors of the Trailer as well and on the Cab of the Tractor as well. and they Measure your Mud flaps Height. Dont have the flap higher than 6inches or u a Bad BOY.

BTW just becasue its on the Internet or on a computer screen dont make it true.
Have a nice day.

VETS DAY IS MONDAY I GUESS THATS WHY IM NOT RUNNING.
OR IS IT SOMTHING ELSE.
WIFE went to the Hospital Yesterday to have Stomach removed.
Hopefuly she will be out on Friday or Sat.
INS dont be fooled Tri care Prime it is what it is. Everyone got there hand out for the $$$.

Attachments

• 988307_10151844948053673_220910250_n.jpg
    988307_10151844948053673_220910250_n.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Deville

Not a Member
I got a heads up from a NJST that FEDEX trucks have been running heavy the past few months & they are scaleing as many as possible in NJ. This really applies more to freight, ground & express than it does us. But since the truck say's FEDEX on the door we are lumped in with everyone else.

witchywoman07

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, passed inspections help and failed hurt. One of our trucks was told by an Ohio inspector that our score has been hurt lately by drivers not minding the 30 minute rest break. My thought what idiot can't understand "you have 1 hour drive time, you have 30 minutes, you have 15 minutes" being yelled at you with blinking red lights?

Live life in the fast lane....drive hard, love hard, laugh harder.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Yes, passed inspections help and failed hurt. One of our trucks was told by an Ohio inspector that our score has been hurt lately by drivers not minding the 30 minute rest break. My thought what idiot can't understand "you have 1 hour drive time, you have 30 minutes, you have 15 minutes" being yelled at you with blinking red lights?

Live life in the fast lane....drive hard, love hard, laugh harder.

Two idiots, exactly. While those two violations impacted FDCC's HOS BASIC score, they have nothing to do with being pulled into every open California scale.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
An LTL driver told me his company fired a 20 plus year driver over the thirty minute break.
The mans daily run had him switching trailers with another driver . After the switch he would start his 30 minute break, but soon take off to complete his workday.
His logging device let the company know that he didn't stay for the whole thirty minutes. After a couple of warnings the company had to let him go.
A $75,000 plus company job gone. How stupid do you think that driver feels now ?