Cab Overs

SpeedyGoLucky

Expert Expediter
Why is it that no one seems to spec a cab-over when designing a 40-ft Truck.

Would'nt the cab-over give you an extra 3-4 ft living or freight area?

Are they that horrible???

SpeedyGL.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Years ago there were a lot of Class 7 Hino!s and UD!s and Mist!s doing expediting work. The ride leaves something to be desired as you sit over the front wheels,when you have to raise the cab whatever is not tied down falls and sleeper acess was tight.Now a class 8 such as a Freightliner Argosy would probably work out to be a great expediting truck.
There is a EO member named MIKECOP who has a Cabover.I think it was originally a JB Hunt tractor,also I have seen several LEA guys with cabovers. One thing to remember with a cabover,when there is a collision your body gets there first.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Years ago, the cabover was my worst enemy! Hit a bump and hit the roof! The only reason to wear the seatbelt 30 years ago was to keep you from falling out of the truck!! Buy that long hood and be happy that the technology is was it is today...and never look back, or for that matter go backwards on your thinking! Long hoods are a wonderful thing..but then again that is just my opinion.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Argosy seems like the only choice if doing a new one. They are suppose to be smoother riding than the old cabovers. I would wonder by how much. Could certainly get a bigger box on, but it would cost you in ride comfort and maintanence would be a bigger challenge.
We use to have a KW cabover areodyne tractor and it was a rough rider.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well folks, I just fielded an Argosy with a 30' van body. That gives me plenty of cargo space. I have a lo-pro unit and the door dims are 103" high. The triple air ride, seat, cab, suspension makes for a velvet ride like I have not experienced before. And, I own a few (quite a few) long noses. As was wrote "will not go back". If you worry about being there first in a crash. Then, just don't hit anything. Larry www.fostertrucking.com

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Can you provide a little more info on the Argosy.What engine/transmission and is a dual axle or a single with a tag.Also how is the sleeper size,for some reason I have always liked the Argosy and the fact that you can put a 30 foot box on it means lots of opportunities.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Details: m11 325/375, last trip at 5200 miles round, loaded heavy some, loaded light some ave 10.37. twin screw, 110 condo, weighs 23,000 empty, can load 23,000 if we get it in right. Probably going to put a single steer axle on front as, it loads heavy on the steers real quick. When you get ready to ditch that tired fl70 don't look past on of these.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Any chance we could see pics of that Argosy?

Dreamer

[font color="blue"]
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird, people take prozac to make it normal.[/font]​

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Dreamer: Yes one'a these days i'll update the web site and place a pic on here if it don't violate any non advertising rules.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
x06col,

For a Charter Member we have the tendency to turn a blind eye every now and then.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------