Cab Card Memories

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Anyone remember "Cab Card"? It was the personal messaging service we could use on the Qualcomm. You could use funds from your Comchek account to send text messages. This may still be available through some carriers, and I understand "Cab Card" prepaid cards may still be sold at truckstops.

Memory #1
You may remember that all messages you sent went put in all caps. Well I sent one to Bill Mack (a countyy DJ on XM) He read my E-Mail on the air, then gave me Holly He** for shouting. Well I wanted to hear some Ernest Tubb, and I guess I was Shouting.

Memory #2
On September 11, 2001 We woke up at 11AM after an allnighter. First message on the QC was Happy Birthday from my daughter. Second message was from FECC saying "All bridges and tunnels to NYC are closed, call in if that is your destination"
Good grief what does that mean?. We soon found out through XM and Direct TV we had been attacked. We were in Canada and then spent 19 hours sitting on the 401 waithng to re-enter the US.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Funny, we are giving our ages aways. I too remember the old Form "D" Cab Cards commonly referred to as "Bingo" cards. Have fond memories of doing thousands of orders of Form "B" bingo stamps for both Form D and D-1 (exempt commodities) cab cards. Memories of "placards" on the sides of trucks being filled with fuel tax decals from every state.

When QualComm came out with the "Cab Cards" the driver literraly had to possess a credit card type card inserted into the side of the QualComm device in order to send and receive text messages over his Qualcomm to and from anyone other than the carrier.

Great, fun post.

Thanks,

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When QualComm came out with the "Cab Cards" the driver literraly had to possess a credit card type card inserted into the side of the QualComm device in order to send and receive text messages over his Qualcomm to and from anyone other than the carrier.

Great, fun post.

Thanks,
The FECC QC units had no card slots. The charges were just deducted from our Comchek account.