C/Vans and Ethanol/Good article

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
We were discussing this on another thread that went away. Good information on what Ethanol does to gas and engines.
This is an additive to help with wear and mileage.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

Also found out that Butane is now added to gas to help counter the effects of moisture brought on by Ethanol.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Newer engines are designed to handle the effects of ethanol on parts like gaskets, o-rings, seals, hoses, etc. If you are concerned about moisture in your fuel system, don't let your tank get much below half before refueling. This will lessen the effects of moisture condensation in your tank.

Is anyone running E-85 in their van or personal vehicle? I'm curious how a flex fuel van would do dollar-wise running E-85 or with a 50/50 mixture of E-85 and 10% ethanol.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and here a Honda tech told me to use some E gas in my generator once and a while to root out moisture build up...because of the alcohol..things that make you go ....hmmmm???

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Small gas engines don't like ethanol. The rubber parts just don't hold up. Funny thing about it, though, we've been running E10 fuel here for a couple of decades now and in many areas E10 is all you can get as far as gasoline is concerned. So, I wonder how come the engine manufacturers don't catch up to modern times. Straight non-ethanol gas simply isn't available over much of the United States, so lawn mower and outboard marine engines need to be designed to handle the fuel we have.

I think the moisture problem shouldn't be too severe in our vans simply because we don't keep fuel all that long. If you've been sitting three days that's a long time. Then, you'll run three tanks of fuel through your engine in a day and a half-- so any moisture in the fuel will have been dealt with.