c or d unit

rollor

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
my wife and i decided to get into the expedite business. we have been checking this site for past 8 months and wonder which is better, c or d unit. we live in new england. can anyone recommend which unit would be better and which company would better suit us. we can be on the road 6 to 7 weeks before going home. thanks for info. HAPPY TRAILS

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Get a "D" unit. Preferably mine. You can haul A,B,C,and D loads in it. You used to get paid no lower than a C rate. No matter how small the load. The cost isn't that much more.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have been in C units for the past 4 years, and have one available if you're interested. We like them because we seldom share a location with another C truck, usually get first crack at long B loads and C loads that D trucks don't want, buy fuel where its cheapest (no fuel taxes), park in just about any space (smaller), cheaper on fuel (less weight), tires, repairs (seldom carry over 1000 lbs) and cheaper to buy.
We'll run in NE anytime we can and usually stay busy. Lately, wherever we run we've stayed busy but NE is nicer weather wise.
If you like to sit in truckstops, get a D. Lots more of them out there, so when you check in for your next run, you could be behind as many as 11, although usually its 3 or 4.
Our next new truck will be a C.

Vernon

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i agree with a c unit as most of the loads are c load, i have
a c unit that can hall some d loads as i have a 16' box 102 wide
102 high, it's what i call over spec c unit. reason i have a c
unit it will fit in driveway a d unit wouldn't
looking for a good d unit give tsi a call at 800-388-3850
get a new western star it is best unit going i have a c unit western star, and add a pro heat ice genset to it to
tsi also has them to

BigB

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
buy a d. you'll haul just as many d as c loads.if your with a good company.sounds like vernon drives for fedx. stay away from them .d unit is the best over all its not a van and its not atractor trailer.keep the motor serviced tiers with the wright air presure. keep it around 65 and you;ll do ok on fuel.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If your just starting out, your best bet is to drive for an owner/operator. This gives you time to make up your mind as to which unit is better for you as a team, as well as time to learn the business. Also, gives you a chance to see how the company/express centers are run, before, you make any major investments.