Bypass the bypass - Atlanta

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Last night my gps routed me 75 south through downtown Atlanta, if you have over 6 wheels, you are supposed to be on a bypass route. I have a straight truck with dual drives, 2 steers, and a pusher axle ( up position) I wonder if I was legally on the correct route ? I just "went for it" and probably saved at least an hour.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

mss1963

Expert Expediter
Anything over 6 wheel's must use bypass unless delivering or picking up in Atlanta area, If you get stopped and can't prove that you are making a pu/del big ticket.Depending on officer mood.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If it is up, it is 4 wheels on the ground.

The same for California, I loved it when I didn't have to do the truck speed limit there.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
You were legal to go straight through as long as the lift axle was up...but you didn't save anywhere near an hour...15 minutes, maybe.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Having only 6 wheels we have the choice to use either route.
Between 2100 and 0500 we go straight through.
And between 0500 and 2100 we use the bypass.
I think all the drivers in Atlanta watch NASCAR and then try out the new moves they learned in the downtown area during rush hour.:eek:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
15 minutes huh...i guess it's been awhile since Rocketman has been thru Atlanta lol

Actually what your saying is the reverse of what the OP said and is more in line with my statement. If you go THROUGH Atlanta instead of around it, you will save some miles and time, but you will give up some of that saved time in traffic compared to the loop...generally.

I've been through ATL, around ATL, stopped in, dropped in, picked up in, got lost in, spent the night at some pretty nice hotels in and pretty much anything else you can think of in Atlanta. Some of it less than a month ago. I'm sticking with 15.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I sneak thru Atlanta quite often,You wont save 15 mins in the day time,maybe after midnight.If traffic is flowing around by pass,you can run 65 and you cant do that going thru the city,and yes I know speed limit is 55.I just went thru town this afternoon