Buying used PM with 330k miles?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Going with a strt trk is tough if your solo,if you find a fleet owner who let's you run solo get a truck with alot of room and load capacity.I would have Passport and hazmat,to give you more freight options.
Definately will be finding a teammate if i go down that road. Already have hazmat ...waiting on passport. Id get all i could. Twic....dod....etc. would try to get into a temp controlled or tandem if it was possible as well.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Personally I would not want to buy any gassser with that many miles on it....

Why not buy a 1999 to 2006 (closer to 2006 would be better) used Diesel Sprinter ?

For the $$ you have to spend you could get a nice used Sprinter...and Diesel to boot.

The older models are easier / cheaper to work on and they get good fuel mileage....

The only potential "issue" I can think of is that some carriers may have age limits on vehicles....

(Although not easy to do on a unibody van (unless you simply take the VIN plate off a "newer" van and using it on an older van , I have thought about doing the following on a straight truck to keep the simplicity / reliability of a mechanical truck with the ability to get hired on with companies that require "newer" trucks....

My solution was to simply take the body work (cab and hood) off a newer truck and graft it on an older chassis...

I would want to title it as "newer" (for getting jobs...due to the VIN # showing a newer truck) but not sure how that would go over if DOT or somebody wanted to do emissions tests etc if you get too new a cab / vin #....).

I want to use the new VIN and title for getting jobs (showing a newer vehicle) BUT the fact that the chassis is old for fuel mileage / maintenance / emissions purposes).

Andrew
Mostly this, dont wanna have a van thats too old. Not really trying to jump thru the hoops of changing out the vin number, although that may be fraud? Idk.

Also being a sprinter OO isnt my endgame, if it was then maybe but i want to establish credit for moving into more expensive trucks and owning a fleet. Cant buy a new van next if i dont show that i paid back the loan for one now.
Each Vin # is unique to its vehicle. Using the vin plate on another vehicle is illegal.

Why somebody would promote this is beyond me.

Why promote that ?
Just trying to make a living.

Besides, if you get caught you move to a gated community, get free room and board, daily showers .
It’s a step up from living in a van.

Reactions: ucfd608

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Personally I would not want to buy any gassser with that many miles on it....

Why not buy a 1999 to 2006 (closer to 2006 would be better) used Diesel Sprinter ?

For the $$ you have to spend you could get a nice used Sprinter...and Diesel to boot.

The older models are easier / cheaper to work on and they get good fuel mileage....

The only potential "issue" I can think of is that some carriers may have age limits on vehicles....

(Although not easy to do on a unibody van (unless you simply take the VIN plate off a "newer" van and using it on an older van , I have thought about doing the following on a straight truck to keep the simplicity / reliability of a mechanical truck with the ability to get hired on with companies that require "newer" trucks....

My solution was to simply take the body work (cab and hood) off a newer truck and graft it on an older chassis...

I would want to title it as "newer" (for getting jobs...due to the VIN # showing a newer truck) but not sure how that would go over if DOT or somebody wanted to do emissions tests etc if you get too new a cab / vin #....).

I want to use the new VIN and title for getting jobs (showing a newer vehicle) BUT the fact that the chassis is old for fuel mileage / maintenance / emissions purposes).

Andrew
Mostly this, dont wanna have a van thats too old. Not really trying to jump thru the hoops of changing out the vin number, although that may be fraud? Idk.

Also being a sprinter OO isnt my endgame, if it was then maybe but i want to establish credit for moving into more expensive trucks and owning a fleet. Cant buy a new van next if i dont show that i paid back the loan for one now.
Each Vin # is unique to its vehicle. Using the vin plate on another vehicle is illegal.

Why promote that ?
Just trying to make a living.

Besides, if you get caught you move to a gated community, get free room and board, daily showers .
It’s a step up from living in a van.
You need a new career pronto if you compare being a van expediter to being in prison....

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I tried this once when I was 18, on a Ford Mustang that I could not get a title for. I was a little relieved when the judge cracked a joke about it.... thankfully I didn’t get any jail time.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

I tried this once when I was 18, on a Ford Mustang that I could not get a title for. I was a little relieved when the judge cracked a joke about it.... thankfully I didn’t get any jail time.

Being a young guy doing that for a personal car is a little more understandable id think. Doing it for a business vehicle governed by all these regulations is another.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Being a young guy doing that for a personal car is a little more understandable id think. Doing it for a business vehicle governed by all these regulations is another.
Doing it at all is illegal , period - end of story.

Why somebody would even suggest such a thing on a public forum has me wondering what other things this person is up to.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Why somebody would even suggest such a thing on a public forum has me wondering what other things this person is up to.

Been seeing more of these types of comments.
They must’ve lowered the entry requirements or something.

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Been seeing more of these types of comments.
They must’ve lowered the entry requirements or something.
Welcome to the new Tabloid section of E O. Soon to be available at Grocery store isles for purchase.. More than 3 years ago comments like that suggesting an illegal alteration of a motor vehicle probably would have been deleted and removed. But when your sales are down over 20,000 poster views a month then the Media turns into a Tabloid to increase viewers.
Also , i would NEVER look at buying a used Van for this type of work.

Common Sense doesn't come with Directions

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If i really exhuast my options on getting van then ill work for a straight truck fleet owner until i can make it happen.
Do you have a Class B or Class A license? Do you have any straight truck or tractor/trailer experience? If not it may be more difficult for you to find a fleet owner willing to hire you than it is getting a loan for a van.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
If i really exhuast my options on getting van then ill work for a straight truck fleet owner until i can make it happen.
Do you have a Class B or Class A license? Do you have any straight truck or tractor/trailer experience? If not it may be more difficult for you to find a fleet owner willing to hire you than it is getting a loan for a van.
Yeah i have class a with about 4 months exp. Didnt like trucking in tt was going to go back to school but ended up getting in a van where i have about a year or so exp.

Im wary of someone not wanting to put me on since its been a while since ive been in one. I was hoping id find someone in my area who knows what they are doing that needs a teammate who could kinda coach me for that first few weeks of getting back in the groove. I know its a long shot.

If not that, then ill postpone until march and keep building my down payment and credit

Also regarding one of your earlier statements, ive been with a bank for 7 years that i tried for the loan it wasnt a credit union. Maybe moving my money over to a credit union in case i need to wait till spring is a good idea?

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also regarding one of your earlier statements, ive been with a bank for 7 years that i tried for the loan it wasnt a credit union. Maybe moving my money over to a credit union in case i need to wait till spring is a good idea?

I was going to say when you 1st mentioned the lack of interest from your bank of 7 years, that you need to find another one ;)

A credit union can be a better option if you qualify. Especially, if you have been with them for a while.

Reactions: Moot

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dunno about post views and such but..

This kind of "it's OK" to break the law thinking is waaay more prevalent in this industry now.....enough that people somehow think it's just business.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If not that, then ill postpone until march and keep building my down payment and credit

You're young, have dreams and one year can seem like an eternity. If you want to do the van thing you should probably get a savings account with a local credit union, not a bank. Make regular deposits and next year some time see about a loan.

A class A license will definitely help you get on with a fleet owner driving a straight truck even if your T/T experience was brief.

No matter what route you decide to go, establishing and maintaining an excellent credit rating is essential for any business. Ditch the debit card if you are fiscally responsible enough to make purchases on credit and pay off the balance in its entirety every month. My first two vans were purchased new through local credit unions loans. I maintained a balance in my savings account that more than covered the monthly (automatic withdrawal) for the loan payment. My weekly carrier settlement was deposited via Comdata into my checking account at a bank and still is. I no longer have an account at a credit union. I would pay my credit card and other bills by check and write a check for deposit to my credit union account to keep up with the loan payment. Extra money was set aside for maintenance and a down payment on my next van.

My first van was purchased new with a 48 month note. My second van was also purchased new with a 30 month note. My current van was purchased new, for cash.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

You're young, have dreams and one year can seem like an eternity. If you want to do the van thing you should probably get a savings account with a local credit union, not a bank. Make regular deposits and next year some time see about a loan.

A class A license will definitely help you get on with a fleet owner driving a straight truck even if your T/T experience was brief.

No matter what route you decide to go, establishing and maintaining an excellent credit rating is essential for any business. Ditch the debit card if you are fiscally responsible enough to make purchases on credit and pay off the balance in its entirety every month. My first two vans were purchased new through local credit unions loans. I maintained a balance in my savings account that more than covered the monthly (automatic withdrawal) for the loan payment. My weekly carrier settlement was deposited via Comdata into my checking account at a bank and still is. I no longer have an account at a credit union. I would pay my credit card and other bills by check and write a check for deposit to my credit union account to keep up with the loan payment. Extra money was set aside for maintenance and a down payment on my next van.

My first van was purchased new with a 48 month note. My second van was also purchased new with a 30 month note. My current van was purchased new, for cash.
Thats awesome i hope to follow if your footsteps. Always liked the notion of getting to the point of paying cash up front and not expanding until you can instead of financing everything. Its necessary now tho.

Ima go back to that bank and basically as them to reconsider, if they still wont then please close my account and write me a check for my balance (or however that works)

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thats awesome i hope to follow if your footsteps. Always liked the notion of getting to the point of paying cash up front and not expanding until you can instead of financing everything. Its necessary now tho.

Ima go back to that bank and basically as them to reconsider, if they still wont then please close my account and write me a check for my balance (or however that works)
They wii probably give you cash if its under a certain amount.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator