Buying used Freightliner M2

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi, I have $40K available to buy 26 ft ST truck. I’m thinking about 2015-16 M2 with under 200K miles. What is the annual repair cost should expect? I’ll be using for expediting about 100K per year. Is Penske or Enterprise a good source of trucks?
Should I buy new instead? Thanks for your expertise.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know of a company that uses M2 extended cabs for expediting ( under 26K) and all in all they have not had many issues with them at all. Now with that being said, I dont know if I would go for the big 4cyl engine, the ones they were using were the Cummins engine, I have driven them before and dont get me wrong, my old Hino would blow it out of the water power wise, but that Freightliner was nice on the inside and it was smooth running.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I've been expediting in my m2 for almost 4 years now. Nothing really to complain about. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the price was right. That being said, I test drove a Cascadia and it is a lot smoother than the m2. I don't know if it is because of the age (my m2 is a 2004 and the Cascadia 2013) or just because of my m2 specs (no airbags under the cab/sleeper)

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi, I have $40K available to buy 26 ft ST truck. I’m thinking about 2015-16 M2 with under 200K miles. What is the annual repair cost should expect? I’ll be using for expediting about 100K per year. Is Penske or Enterprise a good source of trucks?
Should I buy new instead? Thanks for your expertise.

Can you attach the link with 2015-2016 M2s outfitted for expediting with under 200K mi for under $40K?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can you attach the link with 2015-2016 M2s outfitted for expediting with under 200K mi for under $40K?
You wont find such a truck coming from Penske or Enterprise.

Last edited:

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know of a company that uses M2 extended cabs for expediting ( under 26K) and all in all they have not had many issues with them at all. Now with that being said, I dont know if I would go for the big 4cyl engine, the ones they were using were the Cummins engine, I have driven them before and dont get me wrong, my old Hino would blow it out of the water power wise, but that Freightliner was nice on the inside and it was smooth running.
I like that new DD5 engines have 40K miles service interval.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would build a truck go to one of dealers on here. get a new truck have warranty
look on here in want ads for a truck. also if your going to buy a used truck look at maint records
also rental trucks are not made for comfort , day and day. do you have a cdl, if you do go with class 8 better ride.
if you are going to a lot of driving you want good seats, in those trucks you have a seat. no air ride, or cab.
look on here and see what is for sale. stop by a truck stop and get one of papers for trucks for sale

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would build a truck go to one of dealers on here. get a new truck have warranty
look on here in want ads for a truck. also if your going to buy a used truck look at maint records
also rental trucks are not made for comfort , day and day. do you have a cdl, if you do go with class 8 better ride.
if you are going to a lot of driving you want good seats, in those trucks you have a seat. no air ride, or cab.
look on here and see what is for sale. stop by a truck stop and get one of papers for trucks for sale
I won’t be driving; I have a team-they don’t require much comfort, just asked for a 4 ft sleeper with decent mattress, nothing else. They want to drive lots of miles. We expect 4500-5,000 miles per week on average.

Warrior

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Take your money and use if for a down payment on a new truck. I have a 2015 M2 with a large sleeper for sale, for $30k, but it has 700k miles, and that is what they go for. I know your team says they don't need comfort and they will run 4,500 to 5,000 miles a week. That is basically saying they will run from coast to coast each week. Two things wrong with that presumption. First, who will be giving you those kinds of miles? Sure, the company advertises that, but you can ask on this board, and everyone would give their right arm to find a carrier who could give them those kinds of miles, week after week, at a rate worth driving them for. Secondly, and almost as important, the minute your drivers start to run that many miles, they will want to sleep and have comfort during their downtime between shifts. They will see all the big sleeper trucks, just like I run, and they will leave you in a heartbeat for a proper Class 8 expedite truck, with a full custom sleeper, and making the same money. I know, these people are not like that.......you trust them..... I am just giving you a realistic outlook of what this business is about. I know people don't like to hear it, but that does not make it any less true. There is very little money in this business if your not driving the truck yourself. People make up for that by having big fleets, I run 15 trucks. There is a chance you could do well like Grizzly, but I bet he has connections galore, expertise from years of experience, and probably runs a tight ship with big sleepers or maybe Vans. Look in the classifieds section for trucks, my fleet is selling 5 of them right now, and depending what type of fleet owner you are actually looking at becoming, will dictate what type of equipment to buy. Just my two cents worth.......if you want to PM me, feel free.

Van2017

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Take your money and use if for a down payment on a new truck. I have a 2015 M2 with a large sleeper for sale, for $30k, but it has 700k miles, and that is what they go for. I know your team says they don't need comfort and they will run 4,500 to 5,000 miles a week. That is basically saying they will run from coast to coast each week. Two things wrong with that presumption. First, who will be giving you those kinds of miles? Sure, the company advertises that, but you can ask on this board, and everyone would give their right arm to find a carrier who could give them those kinds of miles, week after week, at a rate worth driving them for. Secondly, and almost as important, the minute your drivers start to run that many miles, they will want to sleep and have comfort during their downtime between shifts. They will see all the big sleeper trucks, just like I run, and they will leave you in a heartbeat for a proper Class 8 expedite truck, with a full custom sleeper, and making the same money. I know, these people are not like that.......you trust them..... I am just giving you a realistic outlook of what this business is about. I know people don't like to hear it, but that does not make it any less true. There is very little money in this business if your not driving the truck yourself. People make up for that by having big fleets, I run 15 trucks. There is a chance you could do well like Grizzly, but I bet he has connections galore, expertise from years of experience, and probably runs a tight ship with big sleepers or maybe Vans. Look in the classifieds section for trucks, my fleet is selling 5 of them right now, and depending what type of fleet owner you are actually looking at becoming, will dictate what type of equipment to buy. Just my two cents worth.......if you want to PM me, feel free.
I picked up new 2020 FL M2 chassis today for $67K, found good used 26 ft box with liftgate for $4,500 and will build 4ft sleeper inside the box. I don’t know how people can make money in expediting running equipment that cost $200K new. Maybe I won’t get the highest rates but if I can average $1.50-$1.70 all miles I will be making decent money. My running cost is about $1 per mile.

Young_simba

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
How are you and your team liking that Freightliner? I'm in the market for a new truck for local work. I'm debating between a FL M2 or a Hino.