Buying sprinter vs 10-14k GVWR box truck?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
been working for a fleet owner in a promaster for about 3 months now and i'm starting to look into becoming an O/O, trying to decide weather to get a 3500 sprinter or one of the smaller 10-14k box trucks with floor space for 6 pallets.

The difference being, with the way i plan to set up the sleeper, being able to carry 2 pallets vs 4 pallets (+1 to both with bed folded up) and a few thousand more lbs of weight capacity.

So what im wondering from any that has expeirence with the small boxes approximately what percent of the loads you get are ones that couldnt be done with a sprinter?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Also how much more can getting either vehicle fitted to be temp controlled get me?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Anything over 10 gvw has to log and scale and have a medical card if going outside you home state there are no exceptions!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: westmicher

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Read some reviews on sprinters, lots of def/dpf issues. You would probably be better going with a promaster or transit.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Oh that changes everything then I guess my only question is there a sprinter model that's less than 10k that have the floor above the wheel wells where I could get 4 pallets and still have the sleeper area?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I would go with 2500, you don't have to log it, if you set it up right still get 3 pallets in
also 2500 sprinter is 51 " between wheel wells
if you get super single sprinter van 3500 there 51 " thought wheel well
but again you have to log if you run over the road
if your going over the road , look on eo want ad's and see if there is a straight truck for sale
with a sleeper, if you put a small sleeper in box it need's to be dot safe to count for logging
go with fl60 with 48" sleeper and a genset
or drive for someone

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I would go with 2500, you don't have to log it, if you set it up right still get 3 pallets in
also 2500 sprinter is 51 " between wheel wells
if you get super single sprinter van 3500 there 51 " thought wheel well
but again you have to log if you run over the road
if your going over the road , look on eo want ad's and see if there is a straight truck for sale
with a sleeper, if you put a small sleeper in box it need's to be dot safe to count for logging
go with fl60 with 48" sleeper and a genset
or drive for someone
thanks im in a 3500 promaster now and its still under 10. Anything i get will be under 10 i dont want to have to be regulated.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Starting in 2018 you can get a swr sprinter under 10k. No building up the floor etc. To my knowledge all srw sprinters are 53 wide not 51.

Take a serious look at the Ford transit.

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Starting in 2018 you can get a swr sprinter under 10k. No building up the floor etc. To my knowledge all srw sprinters are 53 wide not 51.

Here is a video of a rental company that shows a guy with a tape measure and a long, tall, 170" wb.

I believe it is 2010 and guessing same, same as 2016 body too?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That should have read a 3500 srw.