Buyer Beware

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
This is an educational warning for anybody trying to sell your cargo van already with an expediting company. And for buyers looking to get into expediting by purchasing one from an existing owner operator with a current lease.

I have talked to two different sellers of cargo vans:

Seller #1 told me his van was already marked (had quallcom) and just needed to be added to expediting company, which by the way he told me, the company would take back. Before I made the purchase of the van, I contacted the company to verify if this information I was told was correct. According to the recruiter, I spoke with, "Once the van is removed from the fleet, it will not be allowed back with the company." In fact the recruiter told me they want the quallcom back or the van owner will be charged $2,500.00.

Seller #2 told me the van is already leased with a carrier, and that I could buy the van from him, and take over the lease. So I contacted the carrier to ask, if what the carrier told me was true, and could I relocate the van from where the seller lived, to the city where I lived. The recruiter for this carrier told me....No I could not relocate the van to my residing city, and that the owner of the van had permission to increase his "fleet size" not "upgrade to a bigger truck, and get rid of the van, still keeping it with the carrier, ie; he can get a bigger truck if he wants, but cannot sell the van to someone else and just go with the big truck. He can add the bigger truck to his "fleet" along with the cargo van.

*The moral of this is: DO NOT TELL A PROSPECTIVE BUYER SOMETHING WHICH IS NOT TRUE......DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU SELL YOUR TRUCK/VAN MAKING SURE YOU HAVE YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Good advice Redbird. You've shown, once again, that doing your research before jumping into the expedite waters is crucial too a successful career in expediting.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Great post Redbird!!! I see so many adds for trucks conveying a message that can't be so, i.e. leased to, QualCom installed even panic button included. I would also check with the carrier in regard to the size of the truck, C unit or D unit? Sometimes the weight can be a thin line. Sellers educate yourselves before selling and buyers beware.