Business 30 - 40% off at Panther II/Vans in the ta

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Business is off at least 40% at Panther in for cargo vans compared to this time last year. That's expected considering fuel at Panther just won't stop putting on vans. 570 vans at last count and still growing. They have completely killed the category. There is only enough van freight for 200 - 300 vans at best. Oh well, I take the summers off and come back in the fall. Fuel Surcharge are a lot lower than the fall when we were getting a minimum of .20... fuel is actually higher in some places now and Panther is running an average of .14. Only 1 load this week so far, had 3 last week and got 2000 miles but had to dead head 1600 to get the 2000. It's gonna be a long summer.

bcurt

Expert Expediter
RE: Business 30 - 40% off at Panther II/Vans in th

Panther had a Ad for Van drivers last week in Grand Rapids,mi. Along with 5 other companies in that area.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
RE: Business 30 - 40% off at Panther II

Ok ladies and gentlemen lets now here from the rest of the companies. This can and will open the eyes for a lot of us coming into the business with vans. And it does a lot to explane why you dont see any vans on the road.

ds1450

Expert Expediter

Well.. there are no other 'major' expedditors putting on vans. There are a few exceptions... Express 1 will put on a van but you would have to be crazy to work for them... all of the big 3 with the exception of Panther will not put on vans because there is not enough freight and there are too many vans. Call Fed EX or Conway and see... Panther's excuse is they want to be sure to cover every load... which means they try and cover a lot of crap that nobody wants to run. I really pity anyone who puts a van on or any new driver who is running a van that buys into the Panther company BS. Anyway, that's my rant for the month.
Remember, if you want to see the rates and the fuel surcharges go up, stop carrying cheap freight.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

I am curious...why do you say you would have to be crazy to drive for Express-1???

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Business is off for vans but has increased on straights and tractors.
I would be willing to bet that the trend will continue. Van business is seasonal and very competitive. It can still be profitable but you must plan accordingly.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

bryan

Veteran Expediter

HI
My biggest concern is there hasn't been a busy period this year.Slow times are normal for this business.We can make up for it in the busy season.With out a busy season we can't level out.I can survive 2 bad months if I can get 2 great weeks.I have had some good weeks but no great weeks.

The good thing is now they have people to take those "go broke loads" so I don't have too.The bad thing is now I have to bounce more just to keep from being #25 on the board.

If anybody has figured out how they make more money by over hiring please explain it to me.It seems to me that signing on trucks would be an expense not an income.

Gener8

Expert Expediter

The answer is obvious. The company's expense is fixed. It cost them the same to send 1 person to orientation as it does 30. You know they make some money on qualcom instalation. You pay it.
They make money on everything, insurance. You pay it.
They make money on signs. You pay it.
They make money in interest on escrow. You pay it.

Now they have multiple trucks on every corner. If you won't take the load some other desparate soul will. Therefore they get every load covered because someone needs that little bit of cash flow to survive one more day or week. The one person that did not suffer on that lousy load was the company. THEY MADE MONEY

They have no deadhead cost. They know that you will pay all the fees, and when you can't, some other unsuspecting fool will.

It is really that simple.

And that's the way it is

:( }> :(

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter

That's how the buisness goes. But truly, from my time in them, i wouldn't drive a van. Sitting a couple days in a 72" condo is easier on a man than sitting a couple days in a van.

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter

WHAT EXPENSES DO THEY HAVE?
YOU PAY FOR EVERYTHING QC,SIGNS, INSTALL,UNISTALL QC REMOVAL WEATHER THEY REMOVE IT OR YOU REMOVE IT YOURSELF $250.00 IF YOU'RE THERE LESS THAN 6MO SIGNS $250.00. ESCROW ACCOUNT AFTER 3.5 YEARS INTEREST ON $900.00 CAME TO $27.00 I COULD DONE BETTER PUTTING THAT MONEY IN A BANK FOR 3.5 YEARS. . WHY DO THEY HAVE ORIENTATION EVERY WEEK? BECAUSE HALF THATS BEEN SIGNED ON DONT MAKE IT IN THE 1ST 6 MONTHS SO EVERY ONE THAT DOESNT MAKE IT IN THAT 1ST 6MO HAS TO PAY 500.00 WHEN THEY LEAVE.WHAT OTHER COMPANY'S DO YOU KNOW THAT CHARGE YOU 500.00 WHEN YOU LEAVE IN THE 1ST 6 MONTHS.
Only the GOOD survive

MDB1

Expert Expediter

Hey, ds1450, how about answering the question you were asked? I, too, would like to know your reasons for the opinion you "expressed" about Express-1.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter

AVERAGING 1400-1800 MILES A WEEK,i have a couple friends that also average about that...worst case scenario, met a guy yesterday in my home town driving a new sprinter dually, been driving for a month, averages 400-500 miles a week paid 41000.00 for the sprinter, has a house note of 89,000..plus other expenses, recruiter told him he would average a minimum of 1200 miles a week ...bottom line is he will be bankrupt within a month he figured..... load i just dropped off was a buck a mile with a 29 cent fuel surcharge 754 miles, highest ive been paid a mile yet... i just wish i could get a couple loads like that a week..

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter

Must be a different Panther II than we haul for. The only way we can get any time off is go out of service. Averaging over 475 miles per day that we are in service.

"A man that takes all the work he can get, gets all the work he can take."

Dieseldoctor

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter

I'd lease with P2 anyday. They keep us rolling non stop. Might be only 'cause i'm a d unit, but I only stop long enough to reset my hours. And by the way, decals are free, unless you quit.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Same deal here. We are running very well with all of our trucks. As far as decals, they do charge if you can't make it 90 days.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Roadpig

Expert Expediter

The problem is that Panther has over recruited AND has put too many of its eggs in the automotive basket. Outside of the reefer division, they have been shortsighted when it comes to procuring freight. Of course there are going to be drivers who do well with P2, and good for them! But the cold hard truth is that the equipment to freight ratio is ridiculously out of proportion against the drivers. Panther II has become divided against itself, and if it doesn't change it's ways and broaden it's scope, it is going to fail like other expediters recently have.

Don't let a moderator or recruiter or anyone else lead you to think that anything other than this isn't the exception to the rule.

PP

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

What are these numbers? They don't indicate a drop in frieght as we have been running. I don't know how the vans are running. We are just stopping to reset hours and that is about it. And for what its worth, we have had several auto runs, but nothing for the big three. They have been Toyota & Nissan.
I don't know if they are good or bad loads, but they have been turning quite a few loads away daily because of no coverage. And again, I am only looking at TT's and straights.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

G

I live down the street from them in Seville, Ohio and when I Go to the store for milk or chew I don't see the same trucks there at the home office and I'm always seeing a lot of different trucks coming and going. They seem busy. I'm not sticking up for them, because i'm on With FedEx Custom Critcal. I'm just telling it like it is. There are times when you run hard and there are times when it seems like it's slow, its the luck of the draw. It's like this with any company.
Things will pick up soon and you will be running you butt off. it's like that with all the companys.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,