Bunk Sheets

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We are trying to decide about sheets for our sleeper. We have been using regular sheets all this time. Our sleeper has the table and seats that convert to a bed. We keep the table set up most of the time except during the time we are sleeping. The bunk bed sheets sets indicate that the top sheet is sewn in to the bottom sheet. It seems like that would make it easier to make the bed rather than dealing with two sheets and the top one will not tuck in. However, the bunk bed sheets are really expensive. So, my question is: what is your experience with these bunk sheets? Is it worth the money for the convenience? india

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
America - Home of the free because of the brave!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
We have not used the sheets that you speak of in the sleeper but had something similar back in the waterbed days. They worked out pretty good for that and it seems they would do the same in the truck. My problem with the sheets we have used that are made especially for trucks or rv's is that after several washings, the fabric would "ball up" and was very uncomfortable to the skin. I don't know if that is a thread count issue or type of fabric used, maybe muslin?

All of this is made more difficult by the odd sized mattresses we get in these sleepers. I'm wondering what size yours is, India. For our last truck, I took a king-size flat sheet and sewed it together on the bottom and one side, sewed velcro to the top, I guess you would call it an extra large pillowcase! (hey it beat having the sheets ride up on you)

Our present truck has a mattress the size of what they used to call a 3/4 bed or antique bed. We were able to find sheet sets for this one on line from bed, bath, and beyond. So we're back to "regular" sheets and if this doesn't work out, I'm not sure what the next step is. Maybe multiple flat sheets sewn into the "pillowcase" thingy!!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Now on an after thought, we could sew the top sheet to the fitted sheet at the bottom, allowing us to buy quality sheets that feel nicer on the skin!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We just use regular sheets on our bed and tuck them in. I bought some 400 count sheets on sale, and they are so soft I love them. Now I need to find the same type for my bed at home LOL

FAMOUS AMOS

Expert Expediter
When we had the dinette where the seats converted into the bed i used 2 flat sheets. One on each seat...when the seats folded down into the bed, your mattress was sheeted. Then put the comforter on top.

Now we have the dinette that the bed folds up onto the wall with a full size bed. Lovin it too!!:7

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
In my van I had a bottom sheet that was sewn as a large pillow case. I used a twin bed size for the top sheet. I had drawn a mark down the center of the sheet to help with alignment. It's difficult to make a bed up when you're having to stoop over. I also had a mark drawn down the center of all my blankets. (you ladies probably didn't know that guys knew how to make their beds, did you?)
:+ :+

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
I think I have found the most comfortable sheats thoes t- shirt sheets i found them in walmart for 7$ a set and bought 2 pink and purple and i love then and they stretch my bunk is 4 ft wide by 6 ft lona bigger than a twin but smaller them a double and ther work perfect:)

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I bought sheets and had a friend of mine measure and sew (my talent at sewing is a stapler and double sided tape)the sheets to fit the bed perfectly. VIOLA!! No more bunched or fallen sheets.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
I use a set of full size sheets. I fold the bottom sheet in two, lengthwise, then sew a seam down the middle 4 inches from the folded seam. I do this with a serger so the excess is cut off when the seam is sewn. This makes a flat seam and no excess fabric in the middle. So when all is said and done I have taken 8 inches out of the missle of the sheet making a perfect fit for a 48 inch mattress.

If you don't have a serger, use a regular sewing machine then cut the excess with sissors and iron the seam open just like we were taught in Home EC.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
I'll go along with Pelicn about the high thread count sheets. I am a solo operator so the truck is always still when I sleep. In a team operation the higher thread count sheets will actually reduce friction that is caused by josteling around when the truck is in motion!

Pappy :)

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Actually the t-shirt sheet I have found fit most bunks just go for smaller size as the will stretch (have you seen the stretch of a tee shirt in some of the parking lots) anyway I digress, they will fit and are very comfortable and would be easy to sew the top sheet to the bottom for easy makeup.