Bulk oil?

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know where a person could take their own container and buy bulk oil? I've heard it's quite a bit cheaper to do it that way. Also, where do you DIY-ers get your filters and such for your sprinters? Thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When I first got my Sprinter we had a Mobile 1 distributor in town, and I got oil in a 5-gallon bucket from them. The cost was about 2/3 of buying in the store. Soon after that he retired and the distributor was moved to another town. Now I just get the oil at Autozone, usually three quarts at a time, in order to take advantage of the $20 loyalty point system they have.

I buy filters 10 at a time from Europarts. They also have the oil at a decent price. Depends on shipping. Upper left hand corner under "find parts", make sure you click the correct model year.

I generally buy my fuel, engine air and cabin air filters at GermanFilters.com or SprinterFilters.com (same company, different names, and oddly, different pricing at times) but right now Europarts is cheaper on those filters, too, except for the heavy duty engine air filter (German Filters is $2 cheaper at the moment).

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Turtle! I'm wondering if you or anyone know where to get the "special tool" needed to remove the fuel filter? I'd also love to see a picture if anyone has one!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$176 for a pliers??? That is insane but so are $300 hammers and $1500 toilets.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks Turtle! I'm wondering if you or anyone know where to get the "special tool" needed to remove the fuel filter? I'd also love to see a picture if anyone has one!
Any auto parts store or store that sells mechanic's tools will have all the tools necessary to change the fuel filter. They're not all that special, really...

T20 Torx Bit (water sensor screws)
T30 Torx Bit (filter body clamp)
Needle nose pliers. (hose clamps)
Flathead screw driver (for flathead worm screw clamps if you have those, or replace the Mercedes hose clamps with them, and for prying the WIF (Water In Filter) sensor out of the filter)

Here's a thread with excellent pictures and step-by-step directions.