Broompilot and Proheat

ddperki

Expert Expediter
I am having trouble with my Proheat and read some past posts to try to get a handle on what was going on. I ran into Broompilot's post about a dealer outside of Houston that did him a good job. I would like to know who that dealer is so I can look them up. I also read some about upgrades that were covered under warrantee. Will look into this also. In the meantime, the heat won't heat and the AC compressor doesn't seem to be kicking in. Sitting in Raleigh, NC and this would be a good day to get things done if I can. Anybody know where to take it around here?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The dealer you are asking about is in Sealy, Texas. He also worked on my unit and did good work. My only complaint was he didn't seal the holes the hoses went through. The actual mechanical work was excellent though. Another place with a good reputation is TSI in Ohio, Youngstown I think.

I went to www.proheat.com to look the Sealy location up however their website has totally changed since my last visit a few months ago. Selecting trucks and where to buy now leads to a Carrier Transicold link. Neither Sealy nor TSI showed up.

I also find the following headline on the proheat homepage: Carrier to distribute Teleflex Auxilliary Power Units under the Comfortpro Name. Apparently they are distancing themselves from the ProHeat name. I'd call them and inquire about what's going on.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They had numerous problems a while back and I wonder if they are corrected? How old is your unit?
At a recent meeting I saw a Thermoking unit and it seemed identical to a proheat. Pricey at almost 10K.
Have the new models already had these upgrades? We are considering another new truck purchase and are looking at which APU to go with.
We have one truck that has the new version Rigmaster and so far, it has been pretty much trouble free.
Any thoughts?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ddperki

Expert Expediter
This unit is still under a 2 year warrantee. I could not find a list of dealers/repair places on Proheat website. I guess it's a big secret. The problem is no heat. And when I tried the AC, it seems the compressor is not kicking in either. The generator starts and runs fine and generates electricity. Belts are intact. I don't want to take it to the local "shop" and have someone charge me 90 bucks an hour while they try to figure out how this thing works. Need someone qualified to look at it.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Hi Dave Had my rigmaster installed Jan 2006 and all seems good. Had it done in O K CITY( BIG RIG PRODUCTS) I think it was about $6800.00 with autostart option and $200.00 discount for ooida. It was done in one day versus 2-3 day ouotes from others. They failed to tighten the fuel check valve properly and when this became a problem, I took it to Phx. dealer for warranty(wouldnt run) They spent time on and finally found check valve problem(not leaking, but sucking air). The repairs NOT covered by warranty due to an installation error. Just before EXPLODING in the service mgrs office, HE suggested we call BIG RIG PRODUCTS. Long story short, they said SORRY for our mistake, WE WILL PAY THE SHOP BILL. I was impressed and do reccomend their shop. Nice people. Hope this is of some help However I did hear of a 200 price increase in Jan 2006

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
>Hi Dave Had my rigmaster installed Jan 2006 and all seems
>good. Had it done in O K CITY( BIG RIG PRODUCTS) I think
>it was about $6800.00 with autostart option and $200.00
>discount for ooida. It was done in one day versus 2-3 day
>ouotes from others. They failed to tighten the fuel check
>valve properly and when this became a problem, I took it to
>Phx. dealer for warranty(wouldnt run) They spent time on and
>finally found check valve problem(not leaking, but sucking
>air). The repairs NOT covered by warranty due to an
>installation error. Just before EXPLODING in the service
>mgrs office, HE suggested we call BIG RIG PRODUCTS. Long
>story short, they said SORRY for our mistake, WE WILL PAY
>THE SHOP BILL. I was impressed and do reccomend their shop.
> Nice people. Hope this is of some help However I did hear
>of a 200 price increase in Jan 2006

PSS The PHX> dealer says he gets $8500.00 for same unit.....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's not secret, it's just not immediately prominent on the main page. From proheat.com click on the word trucks and then click on where to buy.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

reddog43

Expert Expediter
my proheat had an a/c compressor go bad the first two weeks.
found a shop in memphis, tn.
crow's 800-748-9632.
they have 2 proheat techs that install and repair.
the shop has a very large inventory of parts and units.
they fixed my problem and updated my unit.
very dedicated professional techs.
i'am from louisiana and drive to crow's for service on my proheat
when needed.
the proheat unit has been serviced 3 times.
1-comressor
2-updated
3-control unit install, it automatially starts unit.
after 14 months of operation on an expediter truck i'am very happy i bought a proheat.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good to know and thanks for the info. With the new updates ect. it will be interesting to see how the reliability turns out. Sitting on the fence with one of these are gong to something else.
Mid America show should be helpful in that regard.
It seems like they have several control panel issues, but once that is fixed, they are ok?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
AS you all may or may not know,as of March 1,Carrier is the only approved and only authorized dealer(s)to sell and work on Pro Heat equipment in the US.The Pro Heat name will go away as well.
I found out the hard way this week.Had a unit out and dead headed the truck several hundred miles to Sealy Texas,only to have the driver turned away.The shop owner said he was unsure that he would be paid for work from the factory(my units are less then 1 year old).
Big drag.I calld the factory in Canada and was informed that there are still"transfer issues"between the old shops and the new Carrier arrangement.
The best guy in the country to work on these units,in my opinion,is the dealer in Grand Rapids,Jim.He knows these things inside and out.
By the way,all the Wall Mart trucks are having generators installed(yes,all 5000 tractors)as a result of,what else,state smog enforcement in the East.A 5 Mil$ contract for TK.
They have chosen the new Thermo King units,named TriPac.
They are pretty cool,and are a step aove the ProHeats.Check them out.
However,they are pricy,at $9000.00.

ddperki

Expert Expediter
Just to update ya'll on the original problem. Unit would not heat. We were able to get it down to a Carrier dealer in Birmingham where they performed all the latest upgrades as well as fixing the heating problem. It seems that from time to time, the computer has a brain fart and quits. All you have to do is disconnect the battery feed and reconnect. Kinda like rebooting your PC. You can do this by pulling one fuse instead of having to disconnect the batteries. Computer resets and your off to the races. Good info to pass along. Also the guys at Birmingham were great. They checked the unit thoroughly and found a hole in the condensor. I didn't know the AC was not working because I havn't tried to use it in a while. Replaced that and recharged the system. ALL UNDER WARRANTY!!! And it only took 2 1/2 hours. Great service. Highly recommended.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Regarding ProHeat and APU's in general...
I was in a Swift shop out at the Sumner, WA terminal and there was a Swift truck in the shop with it's right fairing removed...
there sat a ProHeat unit!

I was surprised, they were doing some kind of work to the truck, not sure if it was to the ProHeat unit or another component of the rig... anyways the fuel tank on the passenger side of the tractor had been moved back towards so that it was positioned under the sleeper and near the catwalk area of the tractor.

I asked the shop staff about it, 'cause it was a co. tractor, not an O/O truck... and they said "oh ya, Swift has them on some tractors in the fleet, it cuts down on the idling with the Optimized Idle".

I've spoken with some Wal-Mart truck drivers on the radio about what I'm seein' on their trucks more and more... an APU called Tri-Pac.
They (the drivers) have said they really like them, it cuts down on idling and it's nice because you can use a TV, Fridge, and microwave and don't have to worry about inverters.

I would not mind having an APU put on my co. tractor, I could do away with the inverter from what I'm told. The APU's are also much less noise and use alot less fuel.
Upon seeing the ProHeat unit on a Swift co. truck, I'm goin' to ask my DM (Driver Manager) about having one put onto my truck.
I'm going to ask drivers and shops more about them 1st though.

Currently in Denver, goin' to KC shortly and then Music City.
Truck Show is coming... and I'm doin' my 3 days "Home Time" there.

Will be posting about the truck show soon regarding parking and more.

BigBob