Breaking News

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Part of the north terminal at Detroit Metro Airport has been evacuated due to a possible "explosive device" being found at a security check point. Two bomb squads have be dispatched to deal with the situation.

ROMULUS, Mich. (WJBK) -Authorities say they've evacuated part of a terminal at Detroit Metropolitan Airport as a bomb squad responds to an "explosive device" found at a security checkpoint.

Airport spokesman Mike Conway says the check-in lobby at the airport's North Terminal in Romulus was shut down about 6:15 a.m. Monday. Click the video player to watch cell phone video of people leaving the North Terminal.

SkyFOX was over the scene showing crowds of people pulling and carrying luggage leaving the North Terminal and heading towards the airport's Smith Terminal.

Conway says the item was in an X-ray machine at a security checkpoint. Sources tell FOX 2's Roop Raj says the item was discovered in a carry-on bag and is being checked out by two bomb squads.

Raj says one person is in custody. No injuries are reported.
Conway says it's not immediately known how many travelers are affected.
Stay with myFOXDetroit.com for more updates as they become available.

Read more: Detroit Metro airport's North Terminal evacuated - Fox 2 News Headlines

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Update:

The "package" was removed, a person is in custody and the terminal reopened. No word yet as to whether or not it was an explosive device.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Na...just cracking a joke. Personally, I think Homeland Security has done a good job of preventing a lot of major attacks since 911. Someone has anyway. I feel certain that the intent has been there many times, but very few were able to succeed.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems like theirs been attempted attacks its mainly been due to miscues they failed not hls.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
11+ years and nothing major? We haven't avoided a major attack by accident.

Honestly, the credit may go elsewhere, I don't know enough about it to say (it could be that nobody outside of a small circle knows). I am convinced though that without someone doing a good job, we wouldn't have faired nearly as well.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Update:

According to the news this evening the "package" was NOT an explosive device. They said it was either a lamp or toy with sand and water in it and a wire wrapped around it. Nothing more on the person that was detained.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Na...just cracking a joke. Personally, I think Homeland Security has done a good job of preventing a lot of major attacks since 911. Someone has anyway. I feel certain that the intent has been there many times, but very few were able to succeed.

When I hear/read that name, automatically my mind goes back in time when the Romanian Motherland Security, the government secret police, instead of protecting its people, it was actually the oppressive "machinery" against its people. What's more, they were cutting freedom pretending that it is for the people's safety... hmm, where did I hear it lately?