box to frame

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Can anyone tell me what the minimum number of U bolts should be to attach a 22' box to a straight truck frame should be? Is 4 per side enough? DD.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It depends on the type of frame that is on the box. Usually they are placed every three feet.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I once asked the same question of a truck body manufacturer's president of sales and the company's regional sales manager. They did not have a spec upon which they relied.

Not liking their answer and remaining curious, I started looking under every straight truck I saw. The number of U-bolts varies quite a bit from truck to truck (body manufacturer to body manufacturer). I only saw one truck where things were comming apart for want of U-bolts. That was on a brand-new truck where the lift-axle installer removed but did not replace some of them.

Otherwise, every U-bolt I have looked at has held firm. Four per side are more than some truck have. If you keep them torqued, I think you will do just fine. If you would feel better with more, it would be a simple matter to have a trailer shop add more.