Box Floors

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Last Monday I delivered in Raleigh NC and the F/Lift used weighed about a Zillion pounds or so. It has those small front steel wheels,battery powered and could probably lift the whole truck.

Anyway the front wheels went through the box floor right over the rear wheels. The driver got it out and I was left with 2 holes.

I couldn't really blame it on them as the box is 9 years old. I had it repaired at a place I know and the shop owner said "It's a good idea to secure a piece of 1/2 inch plywood on the bottom of the floor in the area of the rear wheels. This plywood would then take the water and spray and chemicals that the wheels throw up and the floor would be protected. Even though the bottom of the floor may have a protective coating on it it will eventually wear out. Only cost $100.00 for 2 metal patches on the floor.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On the underside, you may want to spot weld a piece of sheetmetal. Alittle lighter and won't rot. If it gets too rusting, reheat, remove old, and replace with another sheet.

Other places that show wear I would spray with a decent quality rubberized undercoating.

Davekc
owner
21 years

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Another good CHEAP way to protect the under side of any vehicle is to spray the truck or van with used motor oil. I put this oil in spray cans and coat the under side of all my vans and trucks. This helps keep the water from doing any real damage to the floor and other things.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Would the dirt,salt and road chemicals stay stuck on the bottom with the oil?

Davekc

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not really Dave, once the oil is absorbed into the wood on the underside it acts as any other material used.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Tony,
What about its affect on metal? I would have a concern on putting oil on anything that already has rust? Any thoughts? Never tried this.

Dave