BOLor Delivery Receipt

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
As former FDCC drivers, we had a BOL form that was filled out for each run. One of the things that we had to get used to at Panther was the "Delivery Receipt". There was nothing we could give to the shipper.
I stumbled upon a BOL on the Panther website, and I wonder why this isn't used?
If it was made a 4 carbon copy, then you would have one for the shipper, receiver, driver/owner and the company.
Just my opinion, but it looks more professional as well.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only drawback I see to this is making me get the paperwork ready early on. I usually don't get my pro sheet ready until near or at the cons. What I'd like to figure out is a mechanism so that jobs are paid for the week after delivery regardless. I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons it's impossible with the main one being signed paperwork from the cons being required. My argument/disagreement with that is that if we aren't there at or close to the protect time they are going to be calling asking where their stuff is.

If anything with a protect time no later than 23:59 Sunday were put on the following Wed. pay list to fund that Friday they'd be safe in presuming it was delivered since either the shipper or the cons or both would be calling in Monday or Tuesday inquiring. That gives plenty of time to remove the one or two strays a year from the list to pay and the other 217,548 jobs run are paid the week after they're run and the operators are happier campers.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I think I already sort of do this. I have three copies of my pro form. Company no longer wants the original so I keep that. Consignee gets the back copy. And if for some reason the shipper wants a copy, I give them the middle copy that I usually end up throwing away.

I typically have the pro form filled out before entering the shipper, so I have in hand every nugget of information about the load--addresses, phone numbers, pick up numbers... If the shipper has any questions in trying to identify a stubborn load, I have all the information that is in the truck also on my clipboard. Many times it also seems to help that they can see the Panther logo on the pro form (when it's not a third party deal)--I can say I'm with Panther all day long, and I point to the logo and they say--oh, Panther II.

eb

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
The only drawback I see to this is making me get the paperwork ready early on. I usually don't get my pro sheet ready until near or at the cons.

I didn't think about that because I am the opposite, I try to have the paperwork filled out, with the exception of times, when we pick up the load. I still think that it's a good idea to have something for the shipper to sign as well.

the protect time
Leo, I'm not sure what you mean by this? Not being an owner, is there a step in here that I don't understand?
When we deliver we send in a POD, isn't that a confirmation that the load was delivered? I can understand paperwork being needed before a load is paid, but we send in paperwork after each load is delivered either by email or by scanning. If the paperwork is sent in, and I check the drivers web, there are times that it's 2 or 3 days before it shows as "received". That seems to be a lag in the payroll dept. Am I thinking correctly?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Pelicn,

I even write down my pick up and delivery appointment times in the space below where the form is preprinted: P/U DATE, and DELV. DATE. This way when me and a shipper might be trying to "figure something out" I point to the times and say, "My dispatch says this is when I'm supposed to be here. Is it a problem with my schedule?" It also keeps me from having to scroll back through messages when I forget what schedule I'm running on, because I will forget it if I can't see it.

When I worked for another company that runs predominantly orange trucks, we had a place for the shipper to sign and eighty percent of the time the shipper refused to sign it. Maybe that's something to do with the way refineries work, don't know. But that carries over for me, so I'm not really looking for a shipper's signature--even if a couple might want to sign something.

My perfect pro form would have separate lines for consignee name signed and printed. Actually my perfect load form would be automated. All automated, paperless documentation including customs papers--then all I do is drive.

eb

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
By protect time I mean the appointment time. If the shipper wants a copy of my paperwork, and I don't think that's happened but once in 4 years, I'll just tear off the pink copy that's for the cons and then make up a new one so when I get to the cons I have all 3 parts that I need. That wastes one white and one yellow every few years vs wasting 1 shipper copy nearly every time. No telling how many trees are still alive because we use the smaller page and only 3 copies.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Leo and Ebsprintin,
Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees :eek:. I didn't think about using the yellow copy for the shipper (if needed) I send the originals to the owner (after I make myself a copy) so he wouldn't need the white AND yellow copy.

I even write down my pick up and delivery appointment times in the space below where the form is preprinted: P/U DATE, and DELV. DATE.

Has a new form come out? I don't have room to write that.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
No it's not a space as in a line to enter information. I just squeeze it in at that point, so everything is in one place. I try to keep anything related to the load on the one form taking care to not make anything too messy that will interfere with the billing folks. If need be two months from now when I have completely forgotten about the load I only have to go to one place for everything I knew about that load.

eb