Blocking the Recurt door open

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinter Air box fire, not mine. But, it may have over heated due to blocking your air door open, causing over heating?

Attachments

• Fire.jpg
    Fire.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the 1st pic it shows the door open and locked in place. It will increase air flow, however, hot air from the cabin, could've caused it to over heat. That is why it only opens for a short while then closes. Fresh air is needed for more than one reason. After the repair it is closed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That would need to be some seriously hot cabin air. :D

Did you read write up of what caused the fire?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't agree that the plugged cabin filter would cause the fan motor to overload. It's a common misunderstanding. The blower is a centrifugal fan unit which is not a positive displacement design. Blocking either the inlet or the outlet of a centrifugal fan actually unloads the motor. You can test that theory by blocking either the inlet or outlet of a shop vac. The motor will speed up because the loads are reduced. (A centrifugal pump used for liquid is most always throttled on the outlet to reduce load/control flow. Throttling the inlet can starve the pump and cause problems such as cavitation or running the seal(s) dry.)

I do agree that the plugged cabin air filter would reduce air flow which could cause the resistor pack and motor to overheat. From Doctor A

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yep.

I've heard of three fires up in there, with all three of them having kludged wiring repairs.

I also know that almost no one has that stupid recirculation door working. :D

Mine stopped working after about 6 months. It just flaps there (blower motor causes it to remain open).

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can block it open or closed. You may already know, but for those that don't...

On the left side of the intake box there is a little handle that can be blocked in either open or closed position. You need something to hold it in place. Or, just buy the replacement part.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm favoring the kludged wiring theory. The blocked air door doesn't make the motor and resistors hotter, in fact the opposite is more likely. IF a blocked air door caused the fire, you already had worse problems than that to begin with. A plugged air filter will cause the motor to unload, but on the flip side reduced air flow means there isn't as much air flowing to carry away heat. Doubtful that this would get bad enough to cause fire before you would have noticed little to no airflow from the ducts though.