Bionic Extended Battery

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most of the stores do not have them. A few still do, and if so, you'll find them at 50% off, $24.99 instead of $49.99. But, you can go to the Verizon Website, making sure you are not logged in, and when you add the $49.99 battery to your cart, it'll show up in the cart as half off. Free 2-day shipping. If you're logged in, you won't get the discount. I just ordered one.

The extended battery and the door cover don't work with any of the cases, tho. Not yet.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Most of the stores do not have them. A few still do, and if so, you'll find them at 50% off, $24.99 instead of $49.99. But, you can go to the Verizon Website, making sure you are not logged in, and when you add the $49.99 battery to your cart, it'll show up in the cart as half off. Free 2-day shipping. If you're logged in, you won't get the discount. I just ordered one.

The extended battery and the door cover don't work with any of the cases, tho. Not yet.

I have the extended battery, Turtle and there's one case that works, at least the guys @ the Verizon store said there was only one. It's black and has little criss cross designs on it, the back has a kick stand and the front has a clip for your pocket or shirt. I don't use the front as I think it's a PITA taking it off and on for use. If I see a pic of it, I'll post it for ya.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sorry, I should have been more, or perhaps less, specific. Clearer, regardless, in any case (pun intended), since most people naturally consider cover and case being interchangeable.

It'll work with some of the holsters/covers, but not the (rigid, hard shell) cases. I was being literal with the "case" category. There is a categorical distinction between "case" and "cover" (or "shell"). The only "case" Verizon offers is the Otterbox Defender. The other third party cases are the same, with none yet being offered that fit the extended battery. If the talk at all the various Android forums are any indications, the case manufacturers have dropped the ball big time, especially Otterbox.

I have the Otterbox Defender, and it's a really good case, but they have no plans to make one for the extended battery, despite nearly everyone with a Bionic getting one. Stoopid.

Ballistic makes these awesome rugged cases, with rubber bumpers on the corners which the Otterbox lacks, but they are still yet to come out with one for the Bionic with a regular battery, so I'm not holding my breath for one for the extended battery from them, either.

I thought about getting the shell/holster combo )incidentally, the shell/holster combo, $7.40 at Amazon), just to have something to cover the phone with, but I'd sure like an actual case for a little better protection for a $600 phone. But with the Otterbox, you can just use the front piece and not use the back piece, and then use the rubber cover over the extended battery door, and that works about as well as the shell/holster combo. The other options with the Otterbox case, and probably the one I'll use, is to leave the extended battery door off, and the two pieces of the Otterbox case will still with snap together, then cover with the rubber glove. The back part of the Otterbox acting as the battery door cover.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I don't distinguish between cases, holsters, etc. To me, the protection of the device is what matters, now being a "girl", I'd like something a little more foo foo but ya can't always get what ya want!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, most people don't distinguish between cover types. Only those, like me, who are looking for something more specific do, I guess. The shell/holster combo provides a lot of protection, looks good and feels good in the hand. But I'm just looking for a little more rugged protection. I know three people who have dropped theirs on the corners and had the screen shatter. And I've seen the pics and read the horror stories of others. I've never dropped mine except here in the van, and there's carpet in here, but still, better safe than sorry.

As for foo foo, there's always Rubberized Pink Leopard. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
TPU (actually, now known as "Diztronic") has finally released a case for the Bionic with an extended battery. It fits in the multimedia dock and the car dock. As an added bonus it also fits in the Verizon holster that comes with the case/holster combo pack for the extended battery. $12.90, free shipping.

Diztronic Matte Back Black

Diztronic Matte Back Smoke

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not exactly what i was expecting. It's a silicone case that slips over the back of the Bionic, not all unlike the silicone cover that comes with the hard shell Otterbox case. No drop protection like the Otterbox gives you. I'm sticking with the Otterbox, with the new, larger extended battery door removed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ballistic has finally come out with a Bionic case, the Motorola Droid Bionic Ballistic Shell Gel (SG) Series Case.

Unfortunately, it does not work with the extended battery. My request for one for the extended battery was forwarded to the "Engineering and Design Team", but if they haven't come out with one at this point, they likely never will. It's already too late.

I'm currently still using the Otterbox Defender with the extended battery, but without the extended battery door. It's a tight fit, but it's a fit. Works rather well.