BioDiesel?

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I just got home from vacation. I spent the night at a Flying J in Effingham,IL. They had BioDiesel, and was selling it for 2.42 a gal. Can we run this in our trucks? Drive Safely...Butch :D :D :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I don’t see why not. I made it and used it a lot. I have yet to actually buy it anywhere here in Michigan but I expect they a station will sell it near me.

The problem I know about is deteriorating hoses and seals on earlier trucks. Some of the processes used to process the oil to make biodiesel uses alcohol and it does not get all removed in the filtering process. If you have fuel hoses and seal that are not alcohol rated, you may have a problem.

Oh I have to add something. there is a problem with using b20 and any richer mix of biodiesel on a regular basis, the tendency of cleaning out yor fuel system. I had to change my fuel filters after running pure biodiesel for a few days (I think I used three tank fulls) because it loosen up the crap in the bottom of the tank.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Have only run 1 tank worth, and found no difference. Hopefully more truck stops will start selling it.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

Yes its fine to use it.I only know of one fleet Bestway express out of vincennes, IN.that use bio in every truck they run
you can buy it at most farmers co-ops

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
Butch, I've been doing quite a bit of research regarding biodiesel. I can send you some links offline that will answer most of your questions.

Loose

xkmail

Expert Expediter
From the research I've done you will have to replace filters after you've used it, or pull your tank and clean it 100% and get all the scum out. they say B20 (20% biodiesel is good for most trucks less than 10 years old), depends on hoses and types of rubebr used in the fuel system
Also, biodiesel will gel once it starts getting below 40 degrees depending upon the type of oil used (imported biod uses palm oil which is about the worst.) Usually a tank heater(electric, low voltage in the gas tank cap or submersed in the tank) will fix that problem, but then theres the line from the tank to the engine that can gel and clog when the truck is off overnight in cold weather. If in doubt, buy a gallon and leave it outside overnight and see what it loooks like below 40.
Most people say an increase of 1-1.5mpg on most big engines, more on smaller, and a 10% increase in HP, and thats by statistic, not opinion.