Retired Expediter
Has anybody ever attempted This?

Big-Texan-Steak-Challenge-Photo.jpg

http://bigtexan.com/72oz-steak-rules/

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've eaten at the Big Texan several times, but I've never been tempted to try the 72-ounce challenge. I think the biggest steak I've ever eaten was about 22 ounces. 72 just would not happen. That's 4½ pounds of meat.

The stomach of an adult is about the size of a fist. Well, that's for a normal adult who rarely ever eats a large meal. For most Americans, what with the portion sizes being what they are, the stomach is stretched out to be about the size of a small cantaloupe. Interlock your fingers to make one big fist. That's probably closer to the size. Sure, the stomach can stretch up to 80 times its normal size when consuming a large meal or a large liquid intake, but a 4½ pound piece of meat, and all the trimmings? That can't be good for you.

Reactions: RoadTime

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ate there once years ago on a rare trip going out to CA. I enjoyed it. Wasn't up to the challenge and didn't attempt it either.

Reactions: Turtle

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
I saw a guy complete the challenge when I was there with my brother. They put you in a special seating area in full view of the rest of the dining room and have a countdown clock above. It's not just a steak -- you have to finish the potato and the rest of the trimmings.

They displayed the 4.5# Porterhouse you'd have to eat to win the free steak... dayum! There was a strolling guitarist who came table-to-table and played Johnny Cash & Buddy Holly tunes for us. He got a good tip :)