BIG Bus Bob

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just thought you all would like to know how Big Bus Bob is doing. I spoke with him about an hour ago. He was picking up his first load for Panther going from Ohio to Virginia. I got a kick out of his comments about the Qualcomm always knowing where he is. As a former bus driver, I suppose the Qualcomm is very new to him.

Anyway, he doesn't have internet access on the road at this time. So, I'll try to be his surrogate. We have become friends and I'll be checking in with him again this weekend to find out how it's going.

He's driving for an O/O near Atlanta, GA. He sent me a picture of his truck, and it would make a lot of you drool. He was bragging about the shower he took last night while still in the truck. Oh. He wasn't driving at the time. :7

I mentioned my nervousness about not hearing from my new job starting next week. He assured me he had plenty of phone numbers of owners with trucks at Panther. So, I'll relax a bit and hope that business is just so hectic right now that my new boss has been too busy to get back to me.

It's nice that I've made some friends from this forum. 'Preciate all y'all.

Chet

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
Upload the picture of that truck :D

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, they were part of an email as opposed to an attachment. When I tried to save each picture, they saved as .bmp files, which are not on the list of available types. So, would you like me to just forward the email? He narrates the pictures in the email, so that would be better than just looking at them and wondering.......

Email me at [email protected] and I'll forward it to anyone who wants it.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Chet emailed these to me in a zip file, and I changed the format to jpeg and saved them so I could show them here for him. Glad to help out!

Dreamer
---------------------------

2001 Freightliner FL80 with a 96" sleeper & a 22 foot box. The bunk on this truck is over the cab.

http://lyricaldreams.250free.com/trucks/frontside.jpg

http://lyricaldreams.250free.com/trucks/rearside.jpg

Below you'll see that the sleeper isn't as big as it looks from the outside, however, it's perfect for a solo driver.
Fridge AND Freezer straight ahead, to the right you'll see the sofa/dinette area-table is not set up in this photo. Ladder ofcourse goes to "small queen bed above cab". To the left of the fridge you're barely able to make out the door for the bathroom. The counter to the right in this photo below is where the sink & microwave sit, right behind the drivers seat. There's 110 volt & 12 volt outlets in the sleeper.

http://lyricaldreams.250free.com/trucks/inside.jpg

This is restroom, it has a seperate shower stall...a true shower-24" x 24". A true "flush toilet" like you'd see in a big motorhome.

http://lyricaldreams.250free.com/trucks/toilet.jpg

Tag axle and aux unit

http://lyricaldreams.250free.com/trucks/Pic6.jpg

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Wow that IS NICE, Triple B, we wish you nothing but the best in your new adventure!! DDx2

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I think I miss my mind the most!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
we drive for panther as well
Nice truck.
Can't beat a shower and sink in the truck!!!

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Big Bus Bob update:

We spoke with him last night. Loves his shower and likes Panther. He is having a few difficulties with his converter but otherwise he is doing great. He can't get to this forum but can get his email so drop him a line via email.

mcbride-

--What goes around comes around--

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hello Everybody!!! Well, it took me some time, but I got back online to this awesome website! I'm writing this from a library computer in Lexington, KY.
As Chet informed you, I'm on with Panther. I could not see the pic's of my rig on this PC, but hope you all got to see them.
As the Mcbrides had said, I am having problems with my inverter/AUX Unit on the rig...but anybody who has an AUX Unit will attest that they are by far worth (atleast in my opinion) worth more in scrap metal than anything else. They're neat little machines-so long as they're working properly.

The engine on, the inverter on=the microwave flickers...engine off, inverter on=microwave is fine...microwave is fine as well with just the AUX Unit too.

I did a 34 hour re-start 3 times now, been into Canada 2-3 times now as well.

Panther will let you get backhauls of your own-but they take 15% cut 'cause you're using their authority. Like any company the directions from dispatch could be better most of the time. I find it works well just to call dispatch and have them talk you into the drop right over the phone. They're happy to do it 'cause they want to help you. Some of the girls in the dispatch office are young and not so nice, but hey, who said all dispatchers are great? They are very safety conscious too at Panther. I got my 1st random drug test today and breathalizer too-they give you packets that you take into the facility so that you're all set. Weekends are slow, alot of Friday pick-ups with Monday deliveries, seems like if you don't get one of those then you end up sitting on the weekends-therefore my owner that I drive for logged onto "GetLoaded.com" (no it's not a site about beer drinking) and he said he's going to start utilizing services like that-so far I've got about 5,500 Loaded/dispatched miles roughly since I ran out of orientation in Seville, OH on March 17th. Keep in mind though folks that I do run solo. Dispatch is nice though so long as you communicate with them-and I do. I let them know what's going on with me at all times for the most part when I'm under a load. The pick-up time is more important than the drop time it seems too. The cool thing I like is that if I want to pick-up early and I'm able to then I can, but the drop time will not move, infact if I run into traffic or some other delay and need an extension they move the drop time back. I've yet to load freight except once-113 living room rugs-$50 for loading, and ironically enough dispatch had 3 guys waiting to unload it for me...guess they didn't want to pay me another $50 for unloading. My record so far is 19 pallets double stacked and double wrapped (plastic shrink wrap) in my 22 foot box. I do alot of switches too for guys like myself-other solo's-who are low on hours- truck to truck or on a dock. So far my record weight is 10,300 lbs. hauling for Panther out of Canada into the Detroit area...grossing the truck out at 34K and change at the scale. The Truck is 24K and change dry with one driver and full tanks (two 50 gal. tanks-that's including having 40 gallons of freshwater onboard and empty waste tanks-pallet jack, lift gate, hand truck, tag axle down. Tag goes down for anything over 8K lbs. Cargo box is capable of holding roughly 25K lbs...as truck is apportioned for 50K lbs.
I've timed my 5 gallon hot water heater by the way and within one hour I've got a nice hot 12-15 minute hot shower<without turning off the water!

I went to Alumi-Bunk in Detroit-doing a 34 hour re-start while there. That gave me and them plenty of time. Panther did not bother me while there, I more or less had to turn down 3 loads on the way there though to get in there just to give you an idea of how busy they can be. That is another thing-(on a funny note)I think it's against company policy for Panther dispatcher's to talk to one another.

Anyways...
Alumi-Bunk, I've got no complaints there actually. They are a busy place and I recommend if you go there to do a 34 hour re-start, that way you have plenty of time and so do they. I got 3 new batteries, a new alternator, cargo box lights working, shower outlet into grey water tank fixed, and a new microwave. They fella's at Alumi-Bunk in my opinion are good mechanics, as far as the motorhome aspects-roof vents and TV enclosures they told me: "honestly, go to our Canada facility, we're not familiar with all that and they are". They said they could do the repairs but it would take them longer because they're more into the mechanical aspects and truck repair aspects of things-like fiberglass repair and truck engines and truck electrical issues. They were very nice though, even offering to drive me to a nearby hotel if I'd like. James is the Parts dept. manager, Brian is the assistant manager, John is for the AUX Unit, Mike and "older Adam" are mechanics, Kevin is the shop supervisor, Brenda is in the service department. Those are the names you want to write down and ask for...they work during the day and the 3-11 shift...I would not recommend you stay there during the 11-7 shift-nor would I recommend you keep your truck there during that time in the shop either. Unless you want the headlights to stare at guys scratching their heads. Just my opinion. I was very happy with the way the day shift and evening shift worked. Order toolboxes there-they make them in Canada and ship them to detroit-or you can go to Canada and do it all. Don't go there expecting them to work soley on your truck at detroit though-understand they have like 7-8 working bays and not that many mechanics. They way I observed and it did seem to work for all involved (which is why I said to do a 34 hour re-start there) is that they (the mechanics) work about 15-20 min. on each rig and rotate rig to rig-you have the same guy working on your rig-sometimes the same 2 guys-but that way everybody gets an equal amount of work done in the same block of time. They put plastic down inside your rig too to keep from soiling the carpet too.

Coming out of the Alumi-bunk facility by the way, if you take a right instead of going towards 75, go under the bridge (13'8" plus clearence) and there's a meyers store
(Wal-Mart competitor) and a coin laundry (laundry not open 24 hr., only 'til 9pm), dunkin' doughnuts, K-Mart, Hallmark card store, Home Depot-you name it-it's all right there-I don't think that many drivers are aware of all that is available to them within 1 mile of the Detroiter Truck Stop.
Well, I suppose that's about all for now...hope all is well with you all...gotta run for now-if any of you have any questions ask chet and he'll relay it to me as I don't know when the next time I will be online is.

'til next time...Be Safe and Happy Trails...Big Bus Bob....

AKA "MotorMouth" in the Freaky Freightliner

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
GetLoaded.com/U.S. Border

Hello again all, thought I'd have gotten a reply/response from all that I posted...maybe nobody read it-too long I guess. Sorry.

Anyways...
Forgot to mention and it does belong here in the newbies forum, about Canada/border crossings.
Coming back into the U.S. if you have to go into the US Customs Inspections Office do not use your cell phones or pagers. Reason I tell you this: if your cell phone or pager goes off you will be moved to the back of the line or ordered outside by a US Customs officer to tend to your business. They do NOT like to hear electronic devices.

Also: Anybody know if "GetLoaded.com" is a good site for backhauls??? Please respond if you do, I'm seeking information regarding getting backhauls and good sites/sources for them. Thanks, Bob.

P.S., may take me a while to respond...may not, never know where I'll be and/or when I'll be there - Until I get dispatched that is. Smile!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: GetLoaded.com/U.S. Border

Seen BBB the other night at Meijers even parked beside him and slept!
Man that sleeper is huge, but I had to make a p/u and left before he woke up...maybe next time...:)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Sorry Bob, and others.. just realized the server I store pictures on has been down for several days...

reloading the pics to the EO server....description in post 3.

Dreamer

Bigschu2

Expert Expediter

Hi Bob-

I read your report on how you are doing, I've been following your threads for awhile. I'm glad to hear that you are staying busy! It's nice to hear the real McCoy from out there. I myself am just starting the process of comming aboard and am glued to your comments about panther. Interesting reading Indeed. Hope to meet up with you sometime out there! Love the unit your driving-nothing like having your own comfortable living quarters. Sounds like the person your driving for nows how to make his people happy. Have a great time and good luck! By the way I bet Canada is beautiful. Great scenery I bet. I 've never been there. I'm from the dessert area. BORING!

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

BBB,

Can't believe we missed you! Give us a call again! We were glad to hear that you are still doing well with Panther. We still haven't gotten our aux gen fixed yet.....

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--