Best small generator that will fit between van wheel wells?

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Looking into ones that have remote starting now. And one i can hook up to an external gas tank but i think most are able to do that. Theres a champion i saw thats remote start but i think it may be too big.
If you want to go cheap and don't mind a little louder then the champion 3400 watt inverter with remote start is the way to go. It's like $1000 to $1100 . The down side is it's got a small tank and you will need a extended gas can.

IMHO you need at least 13.5k to 15k btu ac out here. It gets warm to hot in these vans and it takes that size of ac unit to keep the van comfortable. It's going to take that size of generator "3000 watt" to run ac and TV charge batteries ect.

Last edited:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Just looking around on eBay at Honda EU3000 and seen a new Honda 2200 watt companion. It can parallel with a 2200 or a 2000 watt Honda generator. Peak watts is of course 2200 watts and continuous watts is 1800. Not bad!

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Looking into ones that have remote starting now. And one i can hook up to an external gas tank but i think most are able to do that. Theres a champion i saw thats remote start but i think it may be too big.
If you want to go cheap and don't mind a little louder then the champion 3400 watt inverter with remote start is the way to go. It's like $1000 to $1100 . The down side is it's got a small tank and you will need a extended gas can.

IMHO you need at least 13.5k to 15k btu ac out here. It gets warm to hot in these vans and it takes that size of ac unit to keep the van comfortable. It's going to take that size of generator "3000 watt" to run ac and TV charge batteries ect.
Thats the one i was looking at. They are refurbished or store returned new ones on ebay for like 500. My issue is i think its a little too wide to fit next to wheel well without spilling over. I may still try to make it work, but i also saw a kit to wire your honda2k to be remote start it was like 200 bucks tho.

13500btu is only needed when you have a poorly insulated van imo. I think 8000btu will be enough for my plans. If not i can always sell my set up and upgrade.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

Thats the one i was looking at. They are refurbished or store returned new ones on ebay for like 500. My issue is i think its a little too wide to fit next to wheel well without spilling over. I may still try to make it work, but i also saw a kit to wire your honda2k to be remote start it was like 200 bucks tho.

13500btu is only needed when you have a poorly insulated van imo. I think 8000btu will be enough for my plans. If not i can always sell my set up and upgrade.
Take my advice and hope others will chime in. When it gets 90 to 95° plus especially in Laredo where it's a 105° you will wish you had something bigger. Buy it right the first time and always remember, its always better to have to much than not enough.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have a 13,500 Dometic AC powered by a 1500 Yamaha generator. No problem but I would have bought Honda 2000 if I had the extra $$.

If I really had it to do over I would get "under truck" Omeron

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An under-the-truck Onan hooked directly into the fuel tank is very appealing. Dealing with road grime and crawling under there every 150 hours to change the oil, not so much.

Still, that would be my preference, as well.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
A 13.5K BTU ac takes close to 2500 watts and a 15K BTU is over 3000 watts just to start. Double check but i think im right.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
An under-the-truck Onan hooked directly into the fuel tank is very appealing. Dealing with road grime and crawling under there every 150 hours to change the oil, not so much.

Still, that would be my preference, as well.
You got the money Turtle just go have somebody to change it for you.

Reactions: Turtle

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
A 13.5K BTU ac takes close to 2500 watts and a 15K BTU is over 3000 watts just to start. Double check but i think im right.
As above, 1500w Yamaha starts my 13.5 Dometic rooftop EVERY time.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
Yeah it might start it but it might be browing the wires. I think that's the old term. Now there's also a hard start kit that you can put on the compressor to help that out and won't be all the juice at one time.

Reactions: ntimevan

dajablu

Seasoned Expediter
Let's be real here. With what you're saying you want to run and charge batteries you're going to need at least 3000 amps. I suggest number one the Honda number to the Generac. These are the two most reliable units with the best warranties on the planet. I have the Honda for 5 years replace the one spark plug and 5 oil changes. With the 3000 or better model you can get remote start. However both of the other models only take one pulls to start. You can buy a 2000 Honda for 950 dollars, a 2000 Generac 4 800 dollars. The 3000 models with remote start about 1 to 1500 $100 more. Don't buy the junk 5 $600 $1,000 models they're noisy they don't last.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I carry the Honda 3000i. It has all the power you need and weighs 75#’s. So I can load and unload. At half power it will run 8 hours. And it’s quiet. In the winter I just use the two AGM batteries and run an electric blanket off them. It will run for a few night without recharging. The batteries charge off the alternator and I ran it through a ford solenoid. Has worked now for four years. Lately we just check into a hotel if it gets to hot or cold. (Couple of lightweights anymore).

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Let's be real here. With what you're saying you want to run and charge batteries you're going to need at least 3000 amps. I suggest number one the Honda number to the Generac. These are the two most reliable units with the best warranties on the planet. I have the Honda for 5 years replace the one spark plug and 5 oil changes. With the 3000 or better model you can get remote start. However both of the other models only take one pulls to start. You can buy a 2000 Honda for 950 dollars, a 2000 Generac 4 800 dollars. The 3000 models with remote start about 1 to 1500 $100 more. Don't buy the junk 5 $600 $1,000 models they're noisy they don't last.
3000 amps capable generator would probably be bigger than your van. Hehe.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I actually want to look into a front mounted genererator, hopefully one i can double with a deer guard!

Been working my ass off and building my credit and saving all i can working two jobs im going to finally buy a van in probably around 2 weeks. Super excited. Hopefully v3 is still taking on vans, they were good to me.