Best/most logical apu/inverter/charging solution

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One thing I forgot to ask with that switch. Does it tour pet to the batteries to charge them via either shore or generator when those are the sources of power? Or do I need yet another device?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus! (AOKP M6 , Leankernel 3.10.0, 4.0.4 Radios, Inverted Gapps, TWRP 2.2 Recovery)

I'm not sure what "tour pet" means, but the switch just chooses the power source. For charging batteries using shore or generator power you'll need a battery charger, or a new inverter/charger.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not sure what "tour pet" means, but the switch just chooses the power source. For charging batteries using shore or generator power you'll need a battery charger, or a new inverter/charger.

Auto correct got me and now I'm not even sure what those words were even supposed to be. But at any rate, you still answered the question. So, i would need a charger as well.
Does having a charger, a switch, and an inverter seem like overkill? Can all three be wired together without an issue to accomplish my goal? And lastly, is this the route you would take? I mean, I'm looking at spending around 500, as opposed to the all-in-one which would be 1500+.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus! (AOKP M6 , Leankernel 3.10.0, 4.0.4 Radios, Inverted Gapps, TWRP 2.2 Recovery)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, it's not overkill at all. If you have multiple power sources (battery, shore, generator), then an automatic switch is the best way to handle that. You want and need an inverter for when you're on battery power, so you need that. You want to charge the batteries properly with a three-stage charger when on shore or generator power, so you need that. You can do them as separate components, or with an all-in-one. Doesn't matter much either way, except you're already got the inverter, so I'd go with separate components. An all-in-one certainly saves space, tho.

If I didn't already have an inverter, I'd go with an all-in-one. But with an inverter already, just add the switch to alternate between power sources. The battery charger is just added to the AC side just like any other AC appliance would be when on shore or generator power.

Won't be a problem wiring them together, because they're all designed to work together in the manner you want to use them.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
No, it's not overkill at all. If you have multiple power sources (battery, shore, generator), then an automatic switch is the best way to handle that. You want and need an inverter for when you're on battery power, so you need that. You want to charge the batteries properly with a three-stage charger when on shore or generator power, so you need that. You can do them as separate components, or with an all-in-one. Doesn't matter much either way, except you're already got the inverter, so I'd go with separate components. An all-in-one certainly saves space, tho.

If I didn't already have an inverter, I'd go with an all-in-one. But with an inverter already, just add the switch to alternate between power sources. The battery charger is just added to the AC side just like any other AC appliance would be when on shore or generator power.

Won't be a problem wiring them together, because they're all designed to work together in the manner you want to use them.

Well you have answered all my questions. I now know exactly what I'm going to do. And that makes me happy. I like to be happy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus! (AOKP M6 , Leankernel 3.9.0 exp4, 4.0.4 Radios, Inverted Gapps, TWRP 2.2 Recovery)

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
600 Watts is not much for power, Some Laptops require that much power, a roof air system Im sure would require more then 600 watts. See the chart below

Power consumption of household appliances

I would recommend you use the AUTO TRANSFER switch, its simple, when your on APU power it makes the change and sends 120v TO Appliances, 12 V to batterys, or 12 V to an Inverter, I dont think you need an Inverter with an APU, Now if your drawing your power from Batterys or the Alternator then yes an Inverter to convert from 12 V input to 120 v output is neccessary.

The AUTO SWITCH would disconnect the Batterys and automatically begin to use 120v Shore Power once that connector is energized, and vice versa....unplug and you go back to Battery/Alternator power and if you have an Inverter thats energized as well....

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Heres a great way to charge batterys and run small appliances etc or big appliances using a roof mounted solar panel, Ive had one of these on a sail boat I lived on, I used a Pair of Deep cycle batterys and an Inverter, it worked perfectly and never burned a gallon of diesel unless I was out to sea etc...

RV and Marine pre-packaged solar power kits