Been a tough 2 weeks for CV's and Sprinters

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes It has...been a real job to get loaded and be in the right spot at the right time....

I am quite positive our dispatch staff that always does a great job of getting us our loads at the best rates available was tearing their hair out trying to get us loaded....I also am glad they don't fall into the trap of bidding on any garbage at LOW rates...I would rather sit then run cheap.

All tho the days drag on...be rest assured they are on the job!
Lets not be fair weather friends and desert them when they need our support in these trying times.....

So sit tight and make the best of it...get your van in tip top shape and be ready to roll, as most of us know this business can turn on a dime....we are not rookies and should know the game well....:D

Well that is my take on things...

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
We used our waiting time the other day while at the yard to wash the van and completely clean the inside.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I been spring cleaning as well...washing walls and all....going thru PM schedule what is coming up and what may need to be done....and making plans...

Still exploring information and sources, but I may not need to switch vans...:D

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Yes It has...been a real job to get loaded and be in the right spot at the right time....

I am quite positive our dispatch staff that always does a great job of getting us our loads at the best rates available was tearing their hair out trying to get us loaded....I also am glad they don't fall into the trap of bidding on any garbage at LOW rates...I would rather sit then run cheap.

All tho the days drag on...be rest assured they are on the job!
Lets not be fair weather friends and desert them when they need our support in these trying times.....

So sit tight and make the best of it...get your van in tip top shape and be ready to roll, as most of us know this business can turn on a dime....we are not rookies and should know the game well....:D

Well that is my take on things...

We have the disaster in Japan creating shortages in auto parts, electronic products, and so on. Higher fuel prices for no good reason other than greed, and shippers that are looking for cheap rates.

I'd rather have my sprinters sit longer rather than take cheap freight. Load 1 doesn't go there. So, work with dispatch and cover the loads they have. Some weeks will be better than others which is nothing new in this business.

That's my take on things.

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
Amen, Wolfman!
Things have been slower for us in the straight truck also. But like you said we have taken all this into consideration. We noticed the decline the same week fuel prices went up. But Load1 does very well and have been there for us and are doing their best to keep us all busy.

Just got a call from Jeremy in dispatch, we are in Pontoon Beach, IL, figured we were done for the week. Jeremy says I am having a hard time finding you a load out there, St. Louis area. But I put a bid in for a load that is about 200 miles away and goes back to St. Louis and delivers on Monday morning.

So we are moving over the weekend. Have to go 200 mils to pick up this evening then have about 40 hours to kill to deliver the load. Beats sitting doing nothing and we will make a few bucks doing it. Glad to do it!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Thanks guys for understanding the situation. Freight volumes and tonnage are still strong but it seems to have shifted to 53ft loads. I think what we are seeing now for the cv-sprinter fleet is a more normal or traditional first quarter. But like a lot of things in the business....it is always subject to change.

I will promise you that we are working hard to keep everyone moving at a fair rate. We are still adding customers and we are seeing loads being called in by more and more different customers. We are also seeing more shippers and 3pl's looking to build more "relationship" with us. I think they as well are anticipating a strong year where supply of trucks is not going to be able to meet demand.

As well we are looking to hire additional operations staff asap. We have been interviewing for weeks but are having a hard time finding the exact people we want. We are very particular about finding the right people for the team. If any of you have a good dispatcher referral feel free to have them contact me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks guys for understanding the situation. Freight volumes and tonnage are still strong but it seems to have shifted to 53ft loads. I think what we are seeing now for the cv-sprinter fleet is a more normal or traditional first quarter. But like a lot of things in the business....it is always subject to change.

I will promise you that we are working hard to keep everyone moving at a fair rate. We are still adding customers and we are seeing loads being called in by more and more different customers. We are also seeing more shippers and 3pl's looking to build more "relationship" with us. I think they as well are anticipating a strong year where supply of trucks is not going to be able to meet demand.

As well we are looking to hire additional operations staff asap. We have been interviewing for weeks but are having a hard time finding the exact people we want. We are very particular about finding the right people for the team. If any of you have a good dispatcher referral feel free to have them contact me.

Most of us that you brought on board the last year are, in my opinion, some of the most experienced and smartest if I say so:rolleyes: contractors out on the road to-day...we are well aware of the whys and what fors...Thanks for everything....even that NEW U.S. flag out front!...:D

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Most of us that you brought on board the last year are, in my opinion, some of the most experienced and smartest if I say so:rolleyes: contractors out on the road to-day...we are well aware of the whys and what fors...Thanks for everything....even that NEW U.S. flag out front!...:D

You guys are something....:D

I could not wait to change all the flags out! We do it as soon as the freeze is over. The ice and rain are really hard on those flags and they are expensive. But, I HATE when they get worn looking.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys are something....:D

I could not wait to change all the flags out! We do it as soon as the freeze is over. The ice and rain are really hard on those flags and they are expensive. But, I HATE when they get worn looking.

2 weeks ago, Xiggi and I were just looking up and seen it's condition and said it should be changed out...and bingo the next week a new one appears....in your head again? *L*

JuJu hates a tattered flag....BTW...thinks it is disrespectful.If you are going to fly one, fly it right...:)

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Ken, I couldn't have said it any better than that.

I'll see that flag soon.:D

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Amen, Wolfman!
Things have been slower for us in the straight truck also. But like you said we have taken all this into consideration. We noticed the decline the same week fuel prices went up. But Load1 does very well and have been there for us and are doing their best to keep us all busy.

Just got a call from Jeremy in dispatch, we are in Pontoon Beach, IL, figured we were done for the week. Jeremy says I am having a hard time finding you a load out there, St. Louis area. But I put a bid in for a load that is about 200 miles away and goes back to St. Louis and delivers on Monday morning.

So we are moving over the weekend. Have to go 200 mils to pick up this evening then have about 40 hours to kill to deliver the load. Beats sitting doing nothing and we will make a few bucks doing it. Glad to do it!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Amen back at ya RK!!!:D

My straights have been moving slower as well, but no worries, as my Australian buddy would say.:)

I would have done the same thing you did with that load. Jeremy always comes through.

I've received a bunch of PM's and phone calls since I've been home from folks I know that are with other carriers. Trust me, we're in the right place at the right time.