Balancing Home and The Road

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i forgot to add tell her how much you love her every chance you get when on phone or where ever.it helps some times.but try not to ever leave after a bad argument.that happened to me once and i liked to have left here.good luck

smcleod

Active Expediter
Hey All,

Here is a question I have been beating myself up trying to figure out. I have a pretty little blond at home that drives my desire to get the most possible miles in and be a good provider. The same pretty little blond also hates me being away from home. I get grief if I am not making money and grief if I am not home.

I know that I am not the only one who has ran up against this one. I am looking for responces from drivers that have overcame and have a great marriage.

I am new at this and the money is just starting to come in. (that may help) She is also a very hard worker and may get laid off this winter for a few month and we may go out as a team and show her what I do. (that may help) I have tried to explain that there is not much difference with my actual time at home if I were working a 60 hour job at home. But about 6 to 10 days out the stress begins. I have been praying through this and it is a struggle.

So, if you have any solid advice for a newer expediter, it sure would be appreciated

It takes a special woman to put up with the life of an expeditor. My wife hated it when I was out for an extended period of time. As hard as she tried, she couldn't grasp the fact that planning things were next to impossible. We made it through about 5 years. I decided to move over to the other side. I run a small carrier/brokerage and make every effort I can to get my guys home when they need to be. I remember how hard it was and I like my guys to be as stress-free as possible.

I wish you the best of luck.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Some really good idea's here. Just don't send her pics of the lot lizards, save those for your buddies eyes only.

But honestly, women really appreciate this kind of small stuff.

Actually, DO send photos of the lot lizards. Then she'll know you're not cheating.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Well I guess that depends on what your wife looks like.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I have yet to see a lot lizard that could hold a candle to my wife, and she doesn't even read this forum, so I don't have any "motivation" to post that.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Got home yesterday morning. Spent time talking with my wife and had her read this thread. We really enjoyed the time together and think we started to deal with some of the issues. She even started helping me get stuff ready for when I get my next load. I really feel refreshed and ready to drive for dollars.

I know it will take constant effort to stay balanced and focus on communication with the little blonde. I REALLY appreciate the insight of those of you who have posted on this thread.

Be Safe, Trust God & Rock On!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got home yesterday morning. Spent time talking with my wife and had her read this thread. We really enjoyed the time together and think we started to deal with some of the issues. She even started helping me get stuff ready for when I get my next load. I really feel refreshed and ready to drive for dollars.

I know it will take constant effort to stay balanced and focus on communication with the little blonde. I REALLY appreciate the insight of those of you who have posted on this thread.

Be Safe, Trust God & Rock On!

If you get her involved and keep her in the loop all the better....between the phone and the internet...heck even use a web cam...my wife tracks me and helps with finding locations while I drive...reminds me about paperwork and all those things....she is like a virtual team partner....LOL

Life is precious and that at any given moment, it can all be taken away, so if you have a dream or a goal, you better get moving on it....:D

All the Best....Ken aka OVM

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
If you get her involved and keep her in the loop all the better....between the phone and the internet...heck even use a web cam...my wife tracks me and helps with finding locations while I drive...reminds me about paperwork and all those things....she is like a virtual team partner....LOL

Life is precious and that at any given moment, it can all be taken away, so if you have a dream or a goal, you better get moving on it....:D

All the Best....Ken aka OVM
And from the other half..and I drove with Ken for years before I "retired" from the truck..Have hobbies and good friends to fill in the time while your hubby is gone...and when he gets home treat him like a king and hand him your honey do list...:D

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
It takes a special woman to put up with the life of an expeditor. My wife hated it when I was out for an extended period of time. As hard as she tried, she couldn't grasp the fact that planning things were next to impossible. We made it through about 5 years. I decided to move over to the other side. I run a small carrier/brokerage and make every effort I can to get my guys home when they need to be. I remember how hard it was and I like my guys to be as stress-free as possible.

I wish you the best of luck.

I learned early on:

Plans do not exist.

I got lucky twice this year. He was in the position to accompany me to my niece's graduation from Vanderbilt, and he was home this past weekend for my birthday. I know that may not happen again for years.

I know Thanksgiving is up in the air. If he is within 1,000 miles, I will go to him. If he is farther than that, I will spend it with his family. He may be home, who knows? I keep options open.

Because in the Freight Life, one cannot make concrete plans.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
My husband has trucked for over 35 years raised two kids and yes you feel like your a single mom. Which really in some ways ya are! But one thing always helped I hated seeing him go but when he did come home it is true for us distance makes the heart grow fonder and I couldn't wait to see his face and I think we spent more quality time together and also made you plan your time together better. Cook for hime instead of eating out cause thats all he does. Plan only a couple of Honey Do's that you can do together and just know he could be a country music singer, a doctor on call, or even or a policemen that is the opposite shift you work and never see eachother. Life is short enjoy the time you have whatever it may be.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Life is short enjoy the time you have whatever it may be.

Truer words have never been spoken. No one is immortal, you won't have one another forever. The big picture has to be the one in focus.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Truer words have never been spoken. No one is immortal, you won't have one another forever. The big picture has to be the one in focus.

I thought I was immortal until last Dec.also.Boy did I get an eye opener.