Bagged by a 6 point buck!

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Sitting here in East Peoria waiting for $6000 worth of truck repairs. Friday night at 2:45 am, West-bound I-24, Vienna IL in heavy fog traveling at a speed of 57 mph in the granny lane. A suicidal buck came from the median and crashed into the front drivers side on the truck. Took out the headlight, headlight casing, break-away bumber, drivers side steps and fuel tank. Lot of damage. Looks like we are going to be here a while. Sadly, it is a brand new truck our fleet owner just bought for us. Unfortunately it was unavoidable. The deer came out of the fog so fast at a full out run. Two other teams that are friends of ours have also had run ins with deer in the past few weeks. Seems like there is an over abundance of them this year. Everybody be extra careful out there right now. It is unbelievable how much damage it can cause when one has a run in with one of them.

Also, make sure you get a police report if you do have a run in with a deer. You will need it for your insurance company. One of our friends did not make a police report when she hit a deer a few weeks ago and now instead of the standard $100. animal deductible she has to pay a $1000 deductible. Always make a police report for any and every accident.

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
HUNTERS: GET OUT THERE AND KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL!

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
if you or your husband need anything in Peoria just ask and maybe I can help I will be home in Peoria Thursday until Sunday. btw kcm in Morton is mechanic I use very affordable and great work always.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Going across I-80 in Pa the other night I lost track of the number of deer I saw dead on or next to the highway just missed 2 myself

Deville

Not a Member
One of my worst fears is nailing a deer on the hwy. They are all over NYS & NJ. I hate seeing them dead on the side of the road.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
One of my worst fears is nailing a deer on the hwy. They are all over NYS & NJ. I hate seeing them dead on the side of the road.

I have the same fear I drive allot now in nw area and my god the deer are huge and everywhere I drive allot around the 5am to 7 am when they are on the run and man I just slow down to 45 and keep very alert. Imagine hitting a deer lets say Lignite ND Nothing around for miles and miles and cell signals are week to none.

be safe everyone in all sizes of trucks.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I'll see your deer and raise you a cow. $15k plus downtime coverage for another $4025. Surprising thing is, zero damage to the bumper.

I feel your pain, girl.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We installed a brush guard (deer catcher) on the van a few weeks ago. We are just hoping it will cut down on the damage and down time when (not if) we hit a deer. We saw where someone had it a bear coming into Asheville, NC night before last. Way too many close calls for us. We have slowed down a lot. Better MPG's and fewer close calls of the 4 legged type.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We installed a brush guard (deer catcher) on the van a few weeks ago. We are just hoping it will cut down on the damage and down time when (not if) we hit a deer. We saw where someone had it a bear coming into Asheville, NC night before last. Way too many close calls for us. We have slowed down a lot. Better MPG's and fewer close calls of the 4 legged type.

Tumble,
you might want to do a bit of research on that - something Turtle posted not long ago [probably in the thread about the cow landing on poor usa's sleeper] about it changing the dynamics of the crumple zone the van is designed to have.....

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome to the Deer Slayer Club and not a pretty site either. Ya know we feel your pain three times over even!! Hey we are going to get the deer whistles and put them on like we did in the big truck and also use your fog lights seems to help especially ya know our Iowa Deer are corn fed and with hunting season fast approching and the fields clearing out the grain they are running fast and furious whole new feeling to the Deer in the Headlite Look Seiously!!!

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I'll see your deer and raise you a cow. $15k plus downtime coverage for another $4025. Surprising thing is, zero damage to the bumper.

I feel your pain, girl.
Somebody hit a cow in the construction zone on I-70 in Indiana last week.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tumble,
you might want to do a bit of research on that - something Turtle posted not long ago [probably in the thread about the cow landing on poor usa's sleeper] about it changing the dynamics of the crumple zone the van is designed to have.....

I'll take my chances. If I hit something solid enough to crumple me to the glass, I may regret the grill guard. But for now I'm lovin' it. It's also a good place for the deer whistles that turtle said don't work. Now just gotta add the fog lights and maybe a pot hole alert system so I can miss those big ol' pot holes. I'm thinkin about those curb feelers also. Just so much to do! Now where did I leave this weeks pin-up from expediters weekly?.....

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
usafk9, was just curious if you were able to find out who owned the cow so you could go after reimbursement, or was it a free range area ?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Definitely not free range, Dynamite. I was told the adjuster may try to find the owner, to cover their losses, but we were compensated for our downtime (albeit lightly). Too much of a hassle for anything more.

Had we been down considerably longer, maybe a different story.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'll take my chances. If I hit something solid enough to crumple me to the glass, I may regret the grill guard. But for now I'm lovin' it. It's also a good place for the deer whistles that turtle said don't work. Now just gotta add the fog lights and maybe a pot hole alert system so I can miss those big ol' pot holes. I'm thinkin about those curb feelers also. Just so much to do! Now where did I leave this weeks pin-up from expediters weekly?.....

What I was thinking is insurance - if you are ever [God forbid] injured in an accident, it would be typical for the insurance to refuse to pay because the vehicle was 'modified' in a way that cancelled out it's protection of the occupants. [Like voiding a warranty.]
Granted, the risk may be small, and you may choose to take it, but you should do it knowingly, is what I thought.
Pothole alerts? They wouldn't last an hour in Detroit, lol.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I was thinking is insurance - if you are ever [God forbid] injured in an accident, it would be typical for the insurance to refuse to pay because the vehicle was 'modified' in a way that cancelled out it's protection of the occupants. [Like voiding a warranty.]
Granted, the risk may be small, and you may choose to take it, but you should do it knowingly, is what I thought.
Pothole alerts? They wouldn't last an hour in Detroit, lol.

I was an insurance adjuster before I started a "van new lifestyle". I've played that game from both sides as an independent adjuster for several companies. They can be tough, but if you can't argue once in a while, what fun would be left? Let the games begin.