Bad drivers.....

truckerb1968

Seasoned Expediter
Coming from a drivers point of a view. I feel their needs to be an Owner Operator Database like Dac has for drivers. Many Owner Operators have screwed over drivers and Vice Versa. I see your add in the Classifieds all of the time Zoli, does that make you a owner who is hard to work for?

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
truckerb1968
''I see your add in the Classifieds all of the time Zoli, does that make you a owner who is hard to work for?''

I think that I'm a good owner.Maybe to good:).I think nobody can say anything wrong about me...
The problem was that start with 3 vans in same time,3 months ago,and it is very hard to keep drivers in same time on three vans.It will need some time to find 3 onest guys.All I want is no lie,and one week notice. Do I ask to much?

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
It is not that hard to find good drivers.....you just have to not be so desperate to fill a truck that you put a body in it. We have ahd great teams and we have had mediocre teams...we tend to weed out the mediocre teams before they become awful. I would rather sit a truck for 2 months than just put bodies in it. As a fleet owner I can tell you life sucked at 3-5 trucks...it is much better the larger we grow, for us and our drivers. I would never have bought 3 trucks at the same time starting out....and I would NEVER buy a cargo van and expect to make money off it, let alone 3. As far as naming names of bad drivers...what is the point really? Is it bad driver, personality conflict, unrealistic expectations, (either owner or driver), lack of communication? There are always at least 3 sides to a story..yours, theirs, and the truth. As far as DAC...it could care less if driver used truck for a bathroom as long as they did not receive a ticket for it. DAC is useless...I can get more from mvd and 39.95 background checks on people. This comment by a poster caught my eye tho:

It seems like the driver can walk away at the time. However eventually that driver will get a rep with other companies. I just wish more could be done on the initial screening by the companies to try and weed out the bad ones.

If you are a fleet owner YOU are the one who should be doing initial screening......not Panther, not Fedex, not tri-state. The only time I ever get upset about Panther's screening is when someone slips thru the cracks that has NO BUSINESS coming to orientation due to violations, accidents etc. I hear people scream they want to be fleet owners..then want the company they are leased to to run their business...make up your mind.

-Charlotte

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
Ouch Charlotte, you are picking on me and using my post in yours:). You are right to an extent as the owner does need to do as much screening as possible and we try. However being in the business you know that most of this work is done over the phone and yes you can get a feel for someone but sometimes the ones you don't feel good about are great and vice versa. Plus everyone has a story and it is sometimes difficult to weed down to the truth. I guess what I was referring to in my quote was every now and then we will get a request to help out a driver that was in a "bad situation" from Panther. We do talk to the driver and do our due diligence but we in the end want to help our recruiters as they have helped us out in the past. Most of the times it has ended up that your line of "three sides to the story" end up coming to light and we then have problems with the driver and very little of them stick. Don't get me wrong personally our business is a family business and over all we are happy doing what we are doing. But I would say finding drivers is the toughest part IMHO. Good luck to you.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
LOL...NOT MEANT TO PICK. We can actually do A LOT with an internet connection and a social security number of the drivers who are applying. Getting the liscense number is great also. There are a lot of good sites that will let you have access for unlimited searches and background checks for pennies on the check. I guess I just feel like the onus of the checks should be on the fleet owner and anything else we get from the carrier of choice is a boon.

-charlotte

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
>LOL...NOT MEANT TO PICK. We can actually do A LOT with an
>internet connection and a social security number of the
>drivers who are applying. Getting the liscense number is
>great also. There are a lot of good sites that will let you
>have access for unlimited searches and background checks for
>pennies on the check. I guess I just feel like the onus of
>the checks should be on the fleet owner and anything else we
>get from the carrier of choice is a boon.
>
>
>
>-charlotte

We have drivers go through an application and a contract, ACH agreement and get copies of license and SS Card and we keep a database on it and a hard copy. However, your point is well taken as I never really have done anything with the information I collect unless we would have a dispute with a driver. I think it is worth checking into those sites. However just a thought you'd think then the 150.00 that Panther charges would help cover some of that to get someone through. Maybe not, but it is just a thought.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
FAMILYEXPDT
Can you give a good site where can we find something about the potential driver??Thank you,Zoli

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
To publicly post the name of a driver and then write disparaging things about them, accurately or otherwise, is borderline insane. The burden of proof is on the accuser, and unless you can prove everything you say about someone on here, you are opening up yourself to a libel suit that lawyers just drool over.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
The breakdown on the $150$ Panther charges...Panther gets 30$ of it to cover paperwork.....60$ is for dot physical and 60$ is for drug testing.....which both go to out of Panther companies.....so 30$ is all they get.

As far as background checks....www.choicepoint.com with their employment screening (it is called screennow) seems to be about the best. It costs about 175$ to set up, then you have unlimited use. You have to provide them with copies of your articles of incorporation or business license to prove you are a business.

-Charlotte

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
>The breakdown on the $150$ Panther charges...Panther gets
>30$ of it to cover paperwork.....60$ is for dot physical and
>60$ is for drug testing.....which both go to out of Panther
>companies.....so 30$ is all they get.
>
>As far as background checks....www.choicepoint.com with
>their employment screening (it is called screennow) seems to
>be about the best. It costs about 175$ to set up, then you
>have unlimited use. You have to provide them with copies of
>your articles of incorporation or business license to prove
>you are a business.
>
>
>
>-Charlotte

I was referring to the $30 that Panther receives out of the $150.00 sorry I didn't clarify. When you base that over all the people that go through orientation, you'd think that would cover more. However, thank you for the website as I will really look into it as we have some rental property as well that this might come in handy. We have been O/O for about 4 years with Panther but until recently havn't looked at EO. Since I have started reading posts and such I have learned a great deal and I think that knowledge is power, not to sound geeky. So I appreciate all advice given.

roadweazel

Expert Expediter
>
>Have you heard of Defimation of Character? I suggest you
>think twice before you go bad mouthing this guy and be glad
>he didn't leave your truck in Toledo.

I think to be found guilty of Defimation of Character you have to be found that you knowningly lied about the information you provided about someone.
I may be wrong.

But thats why theirs lawyers!!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Zoli and others;

Drivers, employees, owner-operators, dispatchers, recruiters, the french frying legion at McDonalds, the mechanic that repairs cars, or the fleet owner of vehicles - all of these people are like "presents" - the wrapping can be beautiful and from all outward appearances be great, but you never know what you have 'till you open the present.

Think about that(and smile).

HotFr8Recruiter

:) :) :)